Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

insomnia on setraline

(8 Posts)
wetwetwetfan Sun 15-Dec-13 05:15:09

Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh... my mind is so tired, my body aches but I cannot fall asleep. Gave up and came downstairs at 3.40am. Curled up on sofa under a blanket with the dog and now it's 5.15am and I haven't slept a wink... I always have trouble sleeping but can normally get a few hours. This is driving me mad!!!!!!

Alchemist Sun 15-Dec-13 05:25:16

Not on Setraline but citlopran but share your insomnia. Knackered all day but can't get a good sleep at night. Drives me bloody mad. Walking around ina daze, Hope you get some sleep x

Alchemist Sun 15-Dec-13 05:30:49

PS am a bit jealous of dog under the blanket. Have recently become a holiday home for a gorgeous rescued dog from Eygpt but not this weekend. I miss the lovely boy, snuggle up with that dog of yours x

krazipan Sun 15-Dec-13 08:31:19

I had terrible insomnia on sertraline so the dr changed me to mirtazipine which sent me the opposite way and I struggled to get up! I'm now on citalopram which I've had no problem with. I guess it's just trial and error confused

Branleuse Sun 15-Dec-13 08:35:22

its a pretty common side effect. Usually gets a bit better eventually.
How long have you been on them

wetwetwetfan Sun 15-Dec-13 09:22:40

Only a week ... nausea has stopped now but sleep patterns are shot to pieces.. managed a couple of hours in the end. Wonder whether to try a herbal sleep remedy tonight..or maybe exhaustion will just kill me off....

EauRougemasTree Mon 16-Dec-13 15:55:14

I was on sertraline for 3 horrible weeks. My GP prescribed zopiclone for 10 days to see if I would get over the side effects of the sertraline (I tried herbal stuff, it did fuck all). I switched to citalopram in the end, which is fine. Insomnia is a common side effect of sertraline, sometimes it goes away and sometimes it doesn't. It might not be the drug for you. I would have a chat with your GP about your options.

NewName123 Wed 18-Dec-13 15:53:01

I had constant insomnia on sertraline that never went away, I couldn't even nap during the day when DS was asleep.
Am on Fluoxetine now and no problems with sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now