Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Feeding myself while having depression

(7 Posts)
LittleBabyPigsus Fri 13-Dec-13 18:15:21

I find it really hard to eat properly as my depression means I don't have much of an appetite or energy, but my medication (75mg Venlafaxine) needs to be taken with food or I get terrible nausea.

Does anyone have any ideas for cheap easy meals that are fairly filling and healthy? I have IBS and can't have beans or oats (so unfortunately no beans on toast or porridge), and have to limit my intake of other wholegrains.

Preciousbane Fri 13-Dec-13 18:19:21

How about soups or maybe even the odd drink of complan or another food substitute drink. How about milkshakes with a banana in them or a hot chocolate with some marshmallows. I went through a period due to ill health of really being off food and lost loads of weight so used to have a bannana milkshake with added ice cream for lunch, I also used to chuckin some fresh berries sometimes.

LittleBabyPigsus Sat 14-Dec-13 00:53:21

Complan is a good idea, thanks.

goodasitgets Sat 14-Dec-13 01:05:52

Soup? I can recommend cauliflower cheese soup with or without crispy bacon!

fruitandnutti Sat 14-Dec-13 04:49:00

omelette, scrambled egg

frozen veg e.g. sweetcorn and peas

LittleBabyPigsus Sun 15-Dec-13 02:03:25

Oh have lots of frozen veg in, maybe some mixed in with scrambled egg - a deconstructed fritatta I guess grin

I like soup but it seems like effort!

BananaPie Sun 15-Dec-13 02:20:11

Pasta and pesto. Add peas or sweet corn to the water towards the end of boiling the pasta. Serve with grated cheese on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now