Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

What can I do to stop myself commuting suicide?

(17 Posts)
Objection Wed 04-Dec-13 20:36:52

I promised OH I'd stop self harming and I've made good on that promise for 6 months but now it's so bad that I can't even cope with the idea of anything. I don't want to call a helpline because I'd feel ridiculous but I want nothing more than to just die. The only thing that would help is cutting and I can't do that. Before I thought I couldn't kill myself but actually thinking about it I don't think it would have too many ramifications. I'm not sure I could do it to OH or my Mum but how can I stop myself? It's all consuming now, I want nothing else.

Objection Wed 04-Dec-13 20:37:33

Sorry for rambling on, Mumsnet helped a little before

fusspot66 Wed 04-Dec-13 20:48:23

A help line such as the Samaritans would not think you ridiculous. They will be longing to support you. Or if you
Can pluck up the courage, go to A & E. You do matter. This is an emergency . And you are important.

Tiredemma Wed 04-Dec-13 20:49:29

Go to A&E

LESouthampton Wed 04-Dec-13 20:53:21

Definitely A&E.

looseleaf Wed 04-Dec-13 20:55:03

Please Don't be afraid of ringing a helpline, it's exactly what you should try as they are experienced in this situation and I'm so sorry you're feeling like this. Can you reach out to anyone else too or would that help, like your mum?
Look after yourself and please try and find help

Objection Wed 04-Dec-13 20:55:47

What would they do at A&E?

fusspot66 Wed 04-Dec-13 21:04:47

They will have an on call mental health team there who will help you.

HoopHopes Wed 04-Dec-13 21:17:56

Call 111 and ask to have an appointment with an out of hours gp as an option to A and E if easier for you to get to. They can access the same support as A and E without a long wait.

Also book a gp appointment as an emergency tomorrow at 8am no matter what you do tonight.

Do you have medication to take to help when like this such as a sleeping tablet etc?

A phoneline like Samaritans is a good source of support as well.

FloopyFox Thu 05-Dec-13 16:34:21

I've just come across this thread. How are you today? I'm a self-harmed too, and I understand the consuming process where it becomes all you can think about. I haven't harmed in 11 months, and before that I went 4 years. I have some tips that at help:
1. Try putting an elastic band around your wrist and flicking it against your skin. This will really help me when it just becomes to much. I will allow myself to do this a maximum of 3 or 4 t

FloopyFox Thu 05-Dec-13 16:34:32

3 or 4 t

FloopyFox Thu 05-Dec-13 16:38:00

Argh!
3 or 4 times. It does help
Alternatively, when that doesn't help I use a red felt tip on my arm to draw where I would normally cut. I find the marks reassuring...
You should see your gp. They won't be shocked by selfnharm. They have seen it before. Write down how you are feeling, as I often find I can't get the words out so having written down removes that pressure. I often hand a note to my gp, and by the time she's got to the end of it I'm in tears, because I know what she is reading and the relief of having it "out there". Hope you are ok OP x

SnowyMouse England Thu 05-Dec-13 16:44:47

some people use ice cubes instead of self harming.

I hope you've seen and talked with someone, OP.

Objection Sat 14-Dec-13 18:38:21

Thank you all for the support. I've not been to the doctors yet but I've been making an effort to take the tablets which seem to have helped. Thank you

SnowyMouse England Sat 14-Dec-13 18:56:21

I'm glad you're feeling better than you were, objection

Deadswan Sat 14-Dec-13 19:10:13

Good to hear. I was very suicidal only days ago. But increase in one med made me less suicidal.

fusspot66 Sun 15-Dec-13 20:48:30

Well done, Objection. Glad you're soldiering on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now