Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Giving up work due to MH Problems

(6 Posts)
Tomydespair Thu 14-Nov-13 20:37:21

I had a total breakdown a few months ago and have been on long term sick leave. I am getting help from my GP and a psychiatrist and am co- operating fully with them and my workplace.

My prognosis is reasonable but I am seriously considering handing my notice in as I am getting to the point where I could be dismissed on the grounds of capability.

We could manage without my pay but what on earth would I then put on my cv to show a gap. I almost think handing my notice in would take the pressure off.

If anyone has any advice I would be eternally grateful

accol Thu 14-Nov-13 20:53:46

I left work in 2010 due to my MH. It was the best thing I did because my stressor was removed. We were lucky enough to survive on one wage also.

CitrusSun Thu 14-Nov-13 22:08:03

I did just that earlier this year and live alone, so sole income. I had just started at a new job after having been in the previous role for 14 years, travelling all over the world, high pressured and demanding, this new role didn't involve travel but still held immense levels of pressure. Within a week of starting I knew I couldn't hack it anymore, I had hit a brick wall. I couldn't take anything in, even the most basic of tasks was beyond me, nothing was working in my brain, I had shut down. Am still signed off with depression and have had to adjust to all the feelings that accompany being out of work. There is huge relief on the one hand and sadness on the other. All things considered I would say it is best to protect your mental health such as it is at the moment and remove that particular stressor from your life, when I say "such as it is" I mean I felt if I didn't act when I did then I would lose the little bit of health I had in my mind and end up being unable to function at all. Can I ask how old you are? There are various ways to plug a gap in a CV and much of it does depend on age, the career path you have, etc.

HoopHopes Thu 14-Nov-13 22:16:34

Could you ask your current workplace to give you shorter hours? Would that help you and suit you?

I have mental health issues and went part-time and had a phased return (which can be over many weeks to help) which really helped. Although I still struggle at times for me (and this is just me, many people prefer not to work) I find work gives me a necessary structure, a reason to get up in the mornings, a bit of value which helps my self esteem and the finance that I can use etc. But that is just for me. It was hard going back, I guess like return from maternity leave, but with the right support from work it can help. For me, being off work just kept me in the cycle of being ill, whereas at work I can forget about MH issues and just do my job. Yes, I had to give up my career, go part-time, not worry about promotion etc - but less stress in work has also helped me.

If you do not want to return to work again in the future then you would not need to worry about your CV.

Your work has to consider a reasonable adjustment to working hours. If they say no, then you can tell future employers you wished to work part-time for family reasons at that particular time and your previous employer was unable to meet that request so you became a SAHM until children were older????

Queenofknickers Thu 14-Nov-13 22:21:19

Don't worry about your cv - there are always ways. "Looking after children/elderly relative" or I've even seen "renovating house". Do what you need for you now. I had a breakdown and was away from work for 12 months and then left. I was then unfit to work full time for another 2 years. However I'm now back in full time work and actually in a higher job than before!! There is hope and you will recover but you must give yourself time and space xxxxthanks

Tomydespair Sat 16-Nov-13 11:02:08

Thanks to everyone for their messages and sorry I didn't make it back to the thread till now. I am taking on board what you have all said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now