Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Checking OCD.

(3 Posts)
Hopeoverexperience Thu 21-Nov-13 10:38:19

Thank-you very much TirAnna for your reply - I really appreciate it smile.I am trying very hard to overcome checking OCD - I check windows ,doors, electric sockets, taps etc... I wouldn't leave anything left on e.g things charging tootbush,phone.... I find it increasingly difficult to get out of the house and feel very anxious. The checking and associated anxiety is exhausting! I am now taking Citalopram and am trying to tackle these issues. I guess I just want some idea of what's "normal" to set myself some goals.

TirAnna Sat 16-Nov-13 20:58:57

I normally give the handle a quick tug after locking the door from inside or out - it's a mortice lock so it doesn't pull down if it's locked properly. I also check whether my bedroom window's shut before I leave, but my bedroom's on the ground floor at the front so if I forget about that it's pretty obvious as soon as I leave the house. That's normally it, but I live in a shared house and it's rare for it to be completely unattended for more than an hour or so at a time.

If I knew it was going to be empty for longer I'd check the back door and all the windows, but probably not multiple times unless for some reason I couldn't remember whether I had checked. Hope that's helpful smile

Hopeoverexperience Wed 13-Nov-13 15:59:27

It would be really helpful if people could let me know what they usually check before leaving the house and how long they spend checking. Do you double check things more than once e.g locking the front door etc... I've had this problem so long now I have lost complete sight of what is "normal". Thanks very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now