Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How to stop panicking over small things

(12 Posts)
holidayseeker Wed 13-Nov-13 13:12:53

Thanks for the links I'll take a look.

Sounds like you do need to talk to someone. sad

Just because CBT didn't work for your DM does not mean that it will not work for you. At the moment I am seeing a councellor for 6 sessions - it's not CBT, just someone to talk to. This is a free service with a support group that my GP put me in touch with. At the end of the 6 weeks they will decide if I need further sessions. I presume that this will be CBT.

Also, you don't necessarily have to take anti-depressions for anxiety. I didn't want to, as I too do not like taking tablets, and my GP agreed with me. Though I did take Betablockers for three weeks to stop my heart racing.

I found these two websites helpful www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/anxiety.asp and www.ntw.nhs.uk/pic/leaflets/Anxiety%20A4%202010.pdf

holidayseeker Wed 13-Nov-13 11:43:06

Thank you.

I panicked at drs as depression runs in our family, my mum had depression when I was a teen and my brother is on anti depressants for his anxieties but I don't want to be this way.

The gp I spoke to who wanted me to go back advised either could have anti depressants, counselling or just talk to her. My mum has always said though that cbt was arfwul and no help and I don't want to take any tablets but when my thoughts get carried away I just want to be normal amd cope with things like everyone else.

It's very hard to sort it out yourself. I know.

Over the last five years I have gone to the GP's numerous times about different worries/illnesses. However, I never saw the same GP regularly (ours is a teaching practice) and had been "fobbed off" until this September. I made an appointment with the practice GP and wrote everything down in advance - not sleeping, racing heart, thoughts racing around my head constantly, mood swings etc and mentioned how long this had been going on for.

This helped enormously and he diagnosed me with panic attacks/anxiety. I recently started counselling, and while not immediately better, feel a lot of relief that I am finally dealing with this problem.

But, it will take time and effort from me to change my ways of thinking and rationalising things. I have come to realise that I cannot do it all by myself and that I will need help to changes things for the better.

HTH

holidayseeker Wed 13-Nov-13 10:34:09

I know I should see gp but I just want to be able to sort it out myself.

holidayseeker Wed 13-Nov-13 10:30:08

I know I should see gp but I just want to be able to sort it out myself.

mumblechum1 Wed 13-Nov-13 10:27:52

I think you need to go back to your GP. They may suggest you get CBT, which aims to stop/divert negative thinking.

It does sound as though your anxiety is having a big effect on you so you really should try to get some expert help.

holidayseeker Wed 13-Nov-13 10:27:49

Oops phone froze

holidayseeker Wed 13-Nov-13 10:27:21

No I went once and told her that I was getting mood swings and she said I might be depressed and to go back in 4 weeks to talk to her but I never went back as don't feel I can tell them.

holidayseeker Wed 13-Nov-13 10:23:05

No I went once and told her that I was getting mood swings and she said I might be depressed and to go back in 4 weeks to talk to her but I never went back as don't feel I can tell them.

Leverette Wed 13-Nov-13 10:21:09

Have you ever spoken with your GP about this?

holidayseeker Wed 13-Nov-13 10:13:59

I am definitely getting worse. I used to just worry about things occasionally now it is constantly.

For example, Monday I thought my boots needed re heeling so took them but all the time they were being fixed I worried about my boots. Then collected them and hated them as wrong heel type put on in my opinion. So I went home and cried. Wore them yesterday I complained they made my ankles hurt now so went to shops and brought new pair. This pair the right foot drops when I walk so now stressing over why I brought these ones and I can't take them back as I've worn them and they also feel tight where zips are. I am now sat at work in my uncomfy boots and it's all I can think about. My husband says they will give after wearing and that's probably true but I just can't stop obsessing over them. I feel like I could just sit at work crying but I know how pathetic that is over shoes.

Next week there will be another situation like this maybe over clothes it maybe if someone has walked in mud I get paranoid it's dog poo etc.

What can I do to stop myself being like this, because I find fault and cause an issue with everything I can never just get something and be happy.

Again I just moved my leg and my boot is too wobbly around heel have I thrown £120 away my dh will go mad if I get another pair, I just can't stop these obsessive thoughts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now