Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Hormones, PND, contraception, what can I take/do?

(6 Posts)
violator Sun 10-Nov-13 20:27:36

I know everyone reacts differently to contraceptive pills, coils, etc but wondering what my options are.

I was on Dianette for 7 years in my twenties. A new nurse at the clinic told me I shouldn't have been allowed take it for so long as it's not recommended for long term use.
I never felt depressed on if but within a few weeks of stopping it I felt different, a lot brighter, happier even. Maybe my mood had been lowered over time and I hadn't noticed.

I decided then that I'd never take the pill again.

DH and I used condoms perfectly for 7 years unt we decided to start a family, DS came along easily. Then I had very severe PND, was hospitalised and on both olanzapine and Escitalopram for a year. I'm currently weaning off Escitalopram, it's going great and I'm feeling fantastic. DS is 2.3.

I'm 37 now and we've a strong history of early menopause in the family. Mum was 39, gran was 40, sister was 41. I know I'm not far off it.
My periods are hellish the past year or so. Terrible PMS, bad insomnia etc, its hard going. I take 2000mgs evening primrose oil, a very high strength B complex, magnesium and iron.

I'm a bit scared about it given that I've had these brutal PMS symptoms while on Escitalopram.

I'd really like to try another contraceptive but obviously terrified of a dip in mood with it. I do think I'm one of those women who's sensitive to hormones given the previous experience with Dianette, the brutal hormone crash after DS was born and the current PMS.

Am I just going to have to suck it up or is there anything new I don't know about I could try in a pill?
No plans for another baby.

MaryShelley Mon 11-Nov-13 10:03:53

Copper coil - no hormone

violator Mon 11-Nov-13 20:02:08

Thanks MaryShelley.

I've heard the copper coil makes periods very heavy, which is what I'm trying to stop.
My GP is useless in this respect. I should really get an appointment with someone who will listen to my concerns.

MaryShelley Mon 11-Nov-13 20:48:21

I phone the family planning assoc for advice and was also told about poss period probs.
for me the risk was worth it to avoid hormone but actually periods have been no worse at all smile

Milkhell Tue 12-Nov-13 20:54:50

Dianette!! God I was on that for years for acne. Came off it, went a bit mental - and all hell broke loose with skin.

Anyway brutal PND with both babies (7mo and 2.7).

Breastfeeding has affected things too.

Always interesting to hear from other women so massively affected by hormones as I am.

I could never risk a pill again as I'm so sensitive to my own hormones.

How long did it take you to stabilise after your baby
OP?

I can't take ADs as had an extreme reaction to ONE bloody tablet.

violator Sat 16-Nov-13 07:54:43

Milkhell it's hard to tell when my hormones stabilised as such because I ended up on two medications.
I had to stop breastfeeding at 12 weeks because I went into hospital with the PND. Never again, the severe sleep deprivation was responsible for a lot of the anxiety I suffered.
My periods came back a month after I stopped feeding. They're much heavier than before but I've no pain. The PMS is something else though. I get ridiculously tired, a banging headache and dip in mood with it. Once my period starts I'm fine.
I know it's age related, I'm 37 and fully expecting to be in menopause in the next few years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now