Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Overeating battles

(137 Posts)
IWishYouWould Wed 06-Nov-13 14:09:01

Has anyone who uses overeating as a coping mechanism, overcome their issues? I'm trying to find other people who battle with this to start a support chat. I'm currently at my worst and I am gathering the courage to tackle my underlying causes. but where to start?

Hermione123 Thu 16-Jan-14 08:38:44

Glad to hear you are doing well stillearnin, agree a focus on healthy eating works well. I don't find understanding causes helps personally, I know the triggers, it's to do with not having a better way to process anxiety/bad feelings but it doesn't prevent anything to know that. I need to try and enforce a binge avoidance plan I.e. Behavioural approach.

stilllearnin Thu 16-Jan-14 00:06:53

Hello- did you get your board? I nearly name changed for this but I am being brave. I've never told anyone the extent of my stuff with food. My dp must know - but he never lets on. I can eat anything - notably eggshells and paper - when i get going. My mum was anorexic but is recovered and I never thought I had a problem- I have been hiding from it for ages. I do not understand why I do it at all- do people find a psychological understanding helps? I am currently doing very well with very healthy eating - so the focus is on health not calories or weight. But I constantly feel I'm skating on thin ice so any moment I'll binge. Plus I really worry my dd will have a problem. I'm not sure I'll have the courage to post again but wish you all some peace and recovery.

Hermione123 Wed 15-Jan-14 15:28:34

How is everyone? Does anyone have any tips for stopping an in progress binge? Mine go for a few days, January blues. Hope others are well?

IWishYouWould Sun 05-Jan-14 17:37:48

I don't know how else to put it on MN, so here it is...
ellechapmanblog.wordpress.com

IWishYouWould Sun 05-Jan-14 12:03:28

Hi to everyone. Apologies for not being back for a while. Christmas and New Year were extremely busy. I also had my email account compromised, so that has all been changed. After some great recommendations I have started the BED recovery book. I'm still in early stages, but I feel positive. It was great news before Christmas that MNHQ were going to add the new eating disorders topic. It's a bit disappointing to not be able to see it yet.
I have made a decision to focus on myself more. I find it far to easy to focus on anything but my own issues. So I need to stop that while I recognise it. I do wish everyone a good 2014, hopefully this can be the year that we can recover and feel better about ourselves. If anyone is interested I have started a blog to try and focus this recovery process, please feel free to follow me and my progress, I will post it in blogs. I hope I'm not breaking the rules linking this, but I'm sure it will be removed if I am.

I've not done well at all. Despite my effort to keep the house junk free and brought minimal chocolate only really small items for the dc stockings like choc coins we've had tonnes of food gifts. Boxes and boxes of chocolates and biscuits. I've given a few away, 2 boxes to the bin men etc but still have lots here.

I ate a whole box of dairy milk and a share bag of Doritos felt as sick as a dog which then meant I are cheesecake as I am disgusting anyway so why stop there? Felt dreadful a few hours later and I know I did it through boredom. The dogs refusing to go out in the rain and wind so only been going on quick toilet walks for them.

I feel sluggish and a bit low. With the dc home and no work I've not had anytime to stick to my normal exercise routine or regular meal planning.

Hopefully once back in routines I will be able to cope much better.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

3asAbird Mon 30-Dec-13 12:43:26

well i loosened up my eating and put on quite bit of weight in 2 weeks now feel crap again but sick of food sick of eating.

I wouldent even say i ate huge amounts just house full of food.

freezers full.
kids got lots choc and sweets off family and freinds

I have some days binged and not purged.

But guess xmas is big bingefest for people without eating disorders.

I keep saying new year fresh start,

plus new year will mean all the diet foods on offer, all the fitness videos out, jan mags be full of diets so will be bombarded with message to lose weight its vicious cycle.

Any progress on actual section?

hope everyones had ok christmas.

going to try distact myself from food.

i do need to take more time to exercise just hard with the kids best get husband to unjam the wii.

Hermione123 Sat 28-Dec-13 09:45:13

How are people doing over the holidays? I really restricted what junk food came in this year so while there's been over eating, nothing too awful.

AlwaysOneSockMissing Sun 15-Dec-13 23:37:17

next time I will proof read firstblush

AlwaysOneSockMissing Sun 15-Dec-13 23:36:49

I know aht uou mean kinky. Im aware of how much I wi eat over Christmas. But I have already got into the food, so by January I'm going to be so unhealthy it's playing on my mind, a lot.

KinkyDoritowithfairylightson Sun 15-Dec-13 13:35:36

Completely identify with the poster who said that the Christmas excuse has kicked in.

KinkyDoritowithfairylightson Sun 15-Dec-13 13:35:03

Popping in to catch up.

Definitely seeing similarities with my current situation. I've piled weight back on over the past 6 weeks. I'm going through a significant change and just can't seem to get a grip. Feel so tired and run down and food is everywhere. It's so easy just to eat crap.

This weekend was birthday party for DS, so binged after that. Today, have eaten a load of leftovers, and we're still early in the day. Feel sick, feel fed up and know I'm getting fatter and fatter.

Why is it so hard to stop????

IWishYouWould Sat 14-Dec-13 17:32:46

smile update: MNHQ has agreed that they will make a new topic for ED's. I really think all of us using this thread and others across MN to bring the topic into the open a bit more has helped massively.

So we can look forward to having more support not just for us, but everyone else waiting to have a relevant place to share and ask for support. smile

ishouldcocoa Thu 12-Dec-13 15:08:18

I used to be a designer - and I'm sure that's why I enjoy sewing so much.

I am also a real 'people' person, so my volunteering is based around that.

I have complete strangers pour their hearts out to me... while I sit on a park bench trying to eat my lunch!! (I must have something tattooed across my forehead....hmm)

Hermione123 Thu 12-Dec-13 08:24:22

Ishould I only work because I need to for my self esteem, I'm in the same situation and although I feel guilty that it's not best for my dh or dd, it is what I need to do. What types of thing would you like to do?

ishouldcocoa Wed 11-Dec-13 23:50:03

I sew a bit and I volunteer, too. I enjoy both. Its' just I feel that life is passing me by, sometimes. I need to plan to go back to work, but luckily don't have to as DH earns enough. It would be more for my self esteem.

Ishould - what do you do for yourself/what did you used to do (not work), I mean for pleasure, relaxation or interest. If nothing in particular, is there anything, a sport, class, creative something or other you feel drawn towards?

Hermione123 Wed 11-Dec-13 10:35:36

It is certifiably nearly impossible to binge on dark chocolate, or raw chocolate smile I've tried both! I tick all the boxes too...btw I've started throwing out chocolate Xmas gifts, if I have it in the house, sooner or later it gets eaten, you might want to try that. Feels wrong throwing away 'food' but actually it's just going to hurt me.

ishouldcocoa Wed 11-Dec-13 08:40:37

Sorry not to have been back to this thread. Iwish - how did you get on with the book?

It is helping me a bit. Small babysteps. Just being a bit more mindful about food, and reminding myself that a lot of this is about low self esteem. (I'm a SAHM and really miss 'achieving' stuff in life).

I am also trying to binge (when I do) on stuff that's more filling. Oatcakes and ham, nuts, yoghurts. I keep trying to binge on dark chocolate and failing, so a small victory, I suppose!

(I'm wheat intolerant, although on a bad day, you'd never know. I pay for a week afterwards with bad mouth ulcers)

The 'checklist' of personality types you posted upthread - I tick every single one of them.

Hermione123 Wed 11-Dec-13 08:19:19

Ps I'm not judging in case that's not obvious, many days this year 90% of calories consumed have been junk ones.

Hermione123 Wed 11-Dec-13 08:18:04

3, one meal a day is really starvation mode, this will be making your tiredness and bad thoughts much worse. Your brain needs essential fats to function properly. Try and squeeze in a high protein yogurt at breakfast if you can't face proper food yet, and handfuls of almonds or other nuts or seeds, gradually build up what you are eating with things that are good for you. I've yet to meet anyone that got fat because they liked eating nuts or grains too much.

3as...you can't carry on this way. Severely restricting calories is a battle you will never win - its as silly as your right hand fighting your left. It is basic biology. If your body isn't getting the necessary nutrients it needs then it will scream 'hungry' - louder and louder until it gets fed properly. Get to this state and a binge is almost inevitable sad.

You need to get back to eating proper, regular meals, to re-regulate your appetite and reassure your poor body that food is available and will come when it is needed. Then you need to address the other reasons that you are bingeing. It may be that there is an emotional need to do so (as well as the biological one you are sort of manufacturing by restricting your food most of the time). If you need professional help to achieve all this then please seek it.

People binge because they have a need to - they are not flawed, or broken, or willpower weaklings - bingeing is not wrong! It also should not - in fact cannot - be fought with willpower. Bingeing is a sign screaming that something else needs to be resolved in that person's life.

3asAbird Tue 10-Dec-13 19:12:43

thanks guys im ok today just last few weeks been too hectic with hubby working so much all down to me everyone else seems as hectic as xmas.

today had another school tour. small boys hospital appointment both city centre so stressful. made effort grab sandwich from boots as had driving lesson this afternoon.

made 2 meals tonight rissotto and chiken casserole hubby wanted neither hes eating reduced snack from co-op instead but least hes not nagging me eat tea tonight.

Can I ask random question?

Anyone finding december harder as feels like theres so many food adverts, bulk stacks s, cashier trying flog chocs at till.

popped into pound shop earlier for non food item and was surrounded by food.

Christmas seems like it all about food done few bits other week.

for most people xmas is valid reason to gorge and binge.

christmas night we go back see my family aunt does huge buffet thats worrying me a little.

Feel bit anxious people watching me eat.

trying to avoid having too may binge/naughty foods in the house.

trying to meal plan and think i over think food.

plan get early night as tired not sleeping properly but dont want to rely in sleeping pills every night as struggle next day.

Im eating 1 meal a day plus snacks and drinks.I do try and eat enough so that i can get through the day.

Hermione123 Tue 10-Dec-13 09:53:28

Yes agree 3, I'm not sure you are getting enough good quality food, dizzy and tired isn't good at all, try and look after yourself, at least get an early night.

IWishYouWould Mon 09-Dec-13 22:17:11

I haven't heard anything back from MNHQ yet regarding the new topic request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now