Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Overeating battles

(137 Posts)
IWishYouWould Wed 06-Nov-13 14:09:01

Has anyone who uses overeating as a coping mechanism, overcome their issues? I'm trying to find other people who battle with this to start a support chat. I'm currently at my worst and I am gathering the courage to tackle my underlying causes. but where to start?

KinkyDoritowithfairylightson Sun 15-Dec-13 13:35:03

Popping in to catch up.

Definitely seeing similarities with my current situation. I've piled weight back on over the past 6 weeks. I'm going through a significant change and just can't seem to get a grip. Feel so tired and run down and food is everywhere. It's so easy just to eat crap.

This weekend was birthday party for DS, so binged after that. Today, have eaten a load of leftovers, and we're still early in the day. Feel sick, feel fed up and know I'm getting fatter and fatter.

Why is it so hard to stop????

KinkyDoritowithfairylightson Sun 15-Dec-13 13:35:36

Completely identify with the poster who said that the Christmas excuse has kicked in.

AlwaysOneSockMissing Sun 15-Dec-13 23:36:49

I know aht uou mean kinky. Im aware of how much I wi eat over Christmas. But I have already got into the food, so by January I'm going to be so unhealthy it's playing on my mind, a lot.

AlwaysOneSockMissing Sun 15-Dec-13 23:37:17

next time I will proof read firstblush

Hermione123 Sat 28-Dec-13 09:45:13

How are people doing over the holidays? I really restricted what junk food came in this year so while there's been over eating, nothing too awful.

3asAbird Mon 30-Dec-13 12:43:26

well i loosened up my eating and put on quite bit of weight in 2 weeks now feel crap again but sick of food sick of eating.

I wouldent even say i ate huge amounts just house full of food.

freezers full.
kids got lots choc and sweets off family and freinds

I have some days binged and not purged.

But guess xmas is big bingefest for people without eating disorders.

I keep saying new year fresh start,

plus new year will mean all the diet foods on offer, all the fitness videos out, jan mags be full of diets so will be bombarded with message to lose weight its vicious cycle.

Any progress on actual section?

hope everyones had ok christmas.

going to try distact myself from food.

i do need to take more time to exercise just hard with the kids best get husband to unjam the wii.

I've not done well at all. Despite my effort to keep the house junk free and brought minimal chocolate only really small items for the dc stockings like choc coins we've had tonnes of food gifts. Boxes and boxes of chocolates and biscuits. I've given a few away, 2 boxes to the bin men etc but still have lots here.

I ate a whole box of dairy milk and a share bag of Doritos felt as sick as a dog which then meant I are cheesecake as I am disgusting anyway so why stop there? Felt dreadful a few hours later and I know I did it through boredom. The dogs refusing to go out in the rain and wind so only been going on quick toilet walks for them.

I feel sluggish and a bit low. With the dc home and no work I've not had anytime to stick to my normal exercise routine or regular meal planning.

Hopefully once back in routines I will be able to cope much better.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

IWishYouWould Sun 05-Jan-14 12:03:28

Hi to everyone. Apologies for not being back for a while. Christmas and New Year were extremely busy. I also had my email account compromised, so that has all been changed. After some great recommendations I have started the BED recovery book. I'm still in early stages, but I feel positive. It was great news before Christmas that MNHQ were going to add the new eating disorders topic. It's a bit disappointing to not be able to see it yet.
I have made a decision to focus on myself more. I find it far to easy to focus on anything but my own issues. So I need to stop that while I recognise it. I do wish everyone a good 2014, hopefully this can be the year that we can recover and feel better about ourselves. If anyone is interested I have started a blog to try and focus this recovery process, please feel free to follow me and my progress, I will post it in blogs. I hope I'm not breaking the rules linking this, but I'm sure it will be removed if I am.

IWishYouWould Sun 05-Jan-14 17:37:48

I don't know how else to put it on MN, so here it is...
ellechapmanblog.wordpress.com

Hermione123 Wed 15-Jan-14 15:28:34

How is everyone? Does anyone have any tips for stopping an in progress binge? Mine go for a few days, January blues. Hope others are well?

stilllearnin Thu 16-Jan-14 00:06:53

Hello- did you get your board? I nearly name changed for this but I am being brave. I've never told anyone the extent of my stuff with food. My dp must know - but he never lets on. I can eat anything - notably eggshells and paper - when i get going. My mum was anorexic but is recovered and I never thought I had a problem- I have been hiding from it for ages. I do not understand why I do it at all- do people find a psychological understanding helps? I am currently doing very well with very healthy eating - so the focus is on health not calories or weight. But I constantly feel I'm skating on thin ice so any moment I'll binge. Plus I really worry my dd will have a problem. I'm not sure I'll have the courage to post again but wish you all some peace and recovery.

Hermione123 Thu 16-Jan-14 08:38:44

Glad to hear you are doing well stillearnin, agree a focus on healthy eating works well. I don't find understanding causes helps personally, I know the triggers, it's to do with not having a better way to process anxiety/bad feelings but it doesn't prevent anything to know that. I need to try and enforce a binge avoidance plan I.e. Behavioural approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now