Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Stigma and Ignorance

(32 Posts)
KissesBreakingWave Mon 04-Nov-13 21:04:45

Right, need some help with homework. Next week I'm compering (compere: from the French for 'loudmouth') a benefit gig in aid of Rethink, the mental health charity. Quite a varied bill of acts, small and intimate venue, and I'd like to tie it all together with the general theme of mental health.

And recently, in conversation with other folks with MH issues, I got to hear about some of the stigma that goes with it. And I thought, wouldn't it be nice to have my between-the-acts bits be getting some comedy out of the stupid, ignorant crap people come out with about mental health.

Thing is, I don't get much of it. I'm a big lad, busting out all over with White Male Privilege, and highly educated and articulate. People tend to watch what they say.

So, thinks I, to get some material I can mock, I thought I'd ask here:

What's the most idiotic, patronising or bigoted rubbish you've had said to you about your Mental Health Problems? I'll try out the sarcasm and mockery here for you general entertainment.

Oops a bit late blush

KissesBreakingWave Fri 15-Nov-13 12:22:29

LEMisafucker, I can't seem to find anything that matches your description with 'time to talk' on facebook.

Brittapie Fri 15-Nov-13 13:05:32

I think she means "time to change"

KissesBreakingWave Fri 15-Nov-13 14:41:03

Found it!

Juneywoony Fri 15-Nov-13 16:05:11

Glad it all went well for you and well done for raising the money, even if you got through to one person then it's all worth it, xx

LEMisafucker Fri 15-Nov-13 18:28:22

yep - time to change blush

violator Sat 16-Nov-13 07:59:05

"I had three kids under 5 and I managed, you only have the one."

"Can't you just take a Xanex and work through it?"

"Have a glass or two of wine to help you sleep" just before I was admitted to a psych hospital, in utter distress that I hadn't slept more than an hour or so for four months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now