Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

My Sister committed suicide.

(61 Posts)
Juneywoony Wed 30-Oct-13 00:48:43

My 27 year old sister sadly took her own life on Sunday, I'm broken I can't sleep or eat I don't know what to do with myself. It was a shock but not a surprise she was crippled by depression and I just hope she has found some peace now.

alexjefery11 Mon 04-Nov-13 10:30:08

we must have to be somewhat close to our children and family so that they can easily share their issues and problems

Juneywoony Wed 20-Nov-13 07:45:44

Just a little update for those of you that may be interested.

We had the funeral on remembrance day, it went as well as these things can, family and friends cried buckets. My parents are divorced but their partners took a step back and let them be together to hold hands, hug and cry together for their youngest child, which really touched me.

We asked for just family flowers only but donations to MIND if people wanted to, there was almost £200 in the box and my mum has since had more from friends. My mum and myself took them to MIND and they were very grateful, it gave us some comfort.

Life seems strange now, it's only been 3 and a half weeks since she passed but already it feels like she's forgotten, people not mentioning her to me which hurts as all I want to do is talk about her. I've cried everyday bar one (which I felt guilty for ) since the day she died. It does me good, my psychiatrist said to let it all out and has reassured me that it's not my illness causing things I'm doing but grief. He has been so good to me through all this. He has upped my meds and is seeing me fortnightly, I'm seeing cpn weekly so at least I feel like I have a safety net.

My brother is traumatised bless him, he went back to work the week after she died but after the funeral he didn't so was really worried he had lost his job, trouble was he wasn't sleeping, keeps thinking she's walking in his room, picturing the image he saw. I rang his work up and sorted that, I also got him a doctors appointment which he went to, they gave him some sleepers and started the ball rolling for counselling.

Thanks to everyone who posted, xxxxxx

Helpyourself Wed 20-Nov-13 08:06:39

Thank you for updating. It sounds like it was as good as it could be- how lovely of your parents' partners to stand back like that.
Look after yourself; how are you?
flowers

Juneywoony Thu 21-Nov-13 06:46:04

So so really, managing to do the basic housework, washing etc.. getting the kids to school.
I swing from crying uncontrollably to laughing at funny things we did.

Sleeps a bit better, Psych has said I can take two 7.5 zopiclone if I want but I've been sticking to one just don't want to get too reliant on them. Taking more clonazepam, it just keeps the edge off things. He upped my lamotragine to 200 mg daily.

My mum had somebody from the crisis team visit yesterday to ask how they could have done things differently, so she told them. Hopefully they will take it on board and change things, if they could and just save one other persons life then it would mean that Helen's death wasn't in vain.

Had to go to the breast clinic yesterday as I have a lump and missed my appointment a couple of weeks ago with all this going on, thankfully they did ultrasound and said that it's nothing to worry about. They are going to send the images off for a second opinion but the woman reassured me she really did think it was nothing. So at least that's one less worry off my mind. x

Helpyourself Sat 30-Nov-13 09:21:50

Sorry I missed your update juney.
Take care, what are your plans for christmas? Will you be with your Mum?

Juneywoony Sun 01-Dec-13 08:42:14

Got my brother staying with me for the weekend which is really nice and doing us some good being together.

Yes I will go up and spend a bit of time with my mum and brother over Christmas. Got my dad and his partner coming to stay for a couple of days at my house too.

Christmas day will be the usual of going to my in laws.

Started crying in town yesterday as this time last year it was me and my sister doing the Christmas shopping together, had to tell the kids I had a bit of tummy ache.

Saw my psych again on Friday which is really good, that's the third time I have seen him since it has happened, I'm so lucky to have such a kind and caring psych. My cpn is still off sick, have seen another in her place a couple of times but it's just not the same. Really do feel though like it is just grief affecting me and not the illness just really hope that it stays that way.

xxxxx

Helpyourself Sun 01-Dec-13 18:52:23

I'm glad your psych is good. Don't worry about your dcs seeing you cry, and why!
flowers

Varya Sun 01-Dec-13 18:57:11

Very sorry to hear this sad news. My husband attempted suicide in 2009.
Depression is a terrible condition and my heart goes out to you as my sister died suddenly in 2007. Hope you can gradually come to terms hard as it is. Varya XXX

Juneywoony Mon 02-Dec-13 05:31:19

Thanks.

Helpyourself I have cried in front of them and told them why so many times now, they were starting to get upset themselves so I just had to say I had tummy ache and take some deep breathes to stop.

Yes Varya depression is such an awful illness, I'm glad your husband was caught in time, must have been a terrible time for you.
I'm sorry you have lost your sister too, xxxx

Unhelpful please know I'm another person thinking of you today xxx

giraffesCantSledge Mon 02-Dec-13 06:21:14

Thinking of you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now