Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How open are you about your mh issues?

(28 Posts)
mamaduckbone Sun 27-Oct-13 23:14:24

I was just wondering how open people are about their mh problems in rl?

My dh is undergoing therapy for severe anxiety and ptsd linked to childhood abuse, and it's been a very tough year for us as a family as well as obviously for him.

The only people who know anything about this apart from me are his family, who are the main cause of his problems so as expected are keeping their distance.

He doesn't want anyone else to know and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to hold it all together on his behalf and I can't help.but think that

Oh that's a pity. Did he try an alternative?

mamaduckbone Sat 02-Nov-13 13:39:23

No. He has been left with permanent tinnitus and hated the way they made him feel so he's steering clear now.
He is making real progress under a very good therapist, but we're some way off yet.

AdmiralData Tue 12-Nov-13 16:47:18

I'm fairly open about my GAD and OCD Op, but have regretted my 'openness' recently. My now exboss asked why I wasnt returning from maternity leave so I told her and since then when I go back to the shop I worked in my coworkers go out the back and ignore me hmm if they have to stay out shop front they seem to think I am invisible. My mil doesn't seem bothered, my fil is very supportive (suffers from severe depression), my dad is great but is emotionally closed (bless him) so just says 'get some fresh air for a minute and take your medication'. My husband is my rock and very very understanding. I think maybe peoples ability to talk about their MH issues depends on what their families/friends attitudes are re: mental health? I believe the stigma attached is huge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now