Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

fear of dogs

(4 Posts)
usernameless Tue 15-Oct-13 14:02:51

I suddenly developed a fear of dogs. I am afraid that they bite me. I find it difficult to walk outside because of them. If I close my eyes I can see dangerous dogs running towards me. Anyone any ideas how to get rid of this fear?

Crawling Tue 15-Oct-13 14:07:53

I was badly mauled as a child and as a result nada a immense phobia of dogs. I was transferring to my dc so I did lots of research about a year in fact and then got a puppy in a breed I felt comfortable with.

I'm still wary of strange dogs and go to pieces if one growls but I'm no longer scared to leave the house. I love my dog.

Crawling Tue 15-Oct-13 14:11:12

Before I got a dog though I looked after a friends for two weeks to be sure I could do it. Maybe you could borrow a friends dog to face your fear.

usernameless Tue 15-Oct-13 14:13:52

I would probably think something like that if I would have had the fear for ages. This started suddenly without any incident. Maybe my anxiety levels are too high.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now