Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Help me stop eating

(15 Posts)
Halapaloo Tue 15-Oct-13 14:00:21

I can feel myself slipping out of control with food. This is all complicated by previously having anorexia when younger so my body image, food guilt, control issues are skewed anyway.

I had a baby 18 weeks ago, I have had PND, anxiety, PTSD after having the baby and I just know I am eating to suppress all of this.

I eat takeaway every day, the exact same thing, I also cook the same foods for breakfast and lunch. The same snacks need to be in the cupboards. I enjoy food and will eat other meals but only as well as my every-day foods. On the odd occasion I have managed to avoid for eg ordering my takeaway and having a cooked meal instead, I can not stop thinking about the takeaway despite being full. I have in the past given in and ordered at midnight because I couldn't sleep for craving it. It's more than 'I fancy some chips'... it's such an urge. I have spent on the overdraft buying food when we had food in the cupboard already.

I am making us broke with all of this food, especially the takeaways. I am gaining weight rapidly, I was 8stone pre-pregnancy, lost my baby weight in the first couple of weeks because I was in hospital eating just omelette (vegetarian hospital food!) and I'm approaching 11 stone now. I am flabby, ugly, greasy, disgusting, tired. But I can't stop.

I did mention it to my GP when there for something else but as I am not overweight (quite tall and a size 12) it was dismissed as typical having a new baby hunger, tiredness, no time to cook etc.

Please, please help me. I feel so tense in my gut and it escalates until I get my dirty food. How do I make this feeling go away without bingeing?

Crawling Tue 15-Oct-13 14:15:03

I don't know but I'm in a very similar boat maybe we could have a support thread? Encouraging each other not to eat junk?

yeghoulsandlittledevils Tue 15-Oct-13 14:16:40

How tall are you exactly?

Khimaira Tue 15-Oct-13 14:32:40

I'm there on the junk too and I have even less of an excuse as my "baby" is 18 months now! I just can't get through the day without it, I have to hide from the children to eat it because I don't want them to see and I hide the wrappers and packets in the bottom of the bin so my DH doesn't see. I have a supply of chocolate and extras not kept in the food cupboard because I don't want DH to see how much I eat (and eat some so its not there when I need it) blush Today it was an entire packet of Pringles in one go and then the chocolate bars...

I try to stop, and tell myself I wont buy it but always cave. I try to drink something first, water or tea in case I'm thirsty and I don't realise. It's disgusting and I'm so ashamed I do it, but I still can't stop myself. I have no self control. It is much much worse when I am tired, which seems to be pretty much all the time at the moment. I can't answer your question because I don't know. The only thing that sometimes works for me (sometimes, and I don't recommend it, advocate it or anything like that) is eating so much of whatever it is that I feel sick. I shall watch with interest for any constructive help.

yeghoulsandlittledevils Tue 15-Oct-13 16:31:42

You could try looking up 2500 calorie meal plans. That amounts to a good breakfast, morning snack (eg nuts or banana) a good lunch (jacket potato or sandwich, and a portion of pudding) an afternoon snack ( slice of cake or individual packet of crisps) and a good dinner, with a pudding. If you are tall and active, that is a good healthy diet.

Khimaira Tue 15-Oct-13 22:10:22

I think you might be missing the point yeghou. I could look up and eat all the healthy meal plans in the world, but that won't stop me desperately feeling like needing to eat the crap I know I shouldn't.

yeghoulsandlittledevils Tue 15-Oct-13 22:22:00

OP, going bbyyou saying you're tall and were 8 stone and you mention being anorexic before, I really think you should be going to your GP with this.

Khmiaira you are right! starting to control food by counting calories would most likely be disastrous for you and send you straight back down the path to anorexia/bulimia. You really do have to go back to your HV or GP and do not be fobbed off. This isn't about the food, and trying willpower and control to make it better won't work. You would probably benefit from counselling, and/or you may get another diagnosis of pnd. Good luck and let us know how you get on xxx

Apologies, I meant my last post for OP, Halapaloo, but Khimaira and crawling you could have a look at this thread for some support/help?

brettgirl2 Wed 16-Oct-13 18:50:28

Yeah I'm 5'10" 11.5 stone, a size 12 and slim. Not disgusting fat and flabby confused .

Sorry Brettgirl - I don't understand your point confused - are you the OP (namechanged)? Whether you are or not, I am still confused by your post of 18:50...

yeghoulsandlittledevils Wed 16-Oct-13 20:39:35

Just to clarify, if the OP is 5'10" for example, when she weighed 8 stone, she would have had a BMI of around 16.2 which is very low indeed and in need of some professional medical attention for her eating disorder.
A 5' 10" tall person who weighs 11 stone has a BMI of around 22.1 and in terms of weight is a good weight and not at all overweight. (Normal BMI is between about 18 and 24.) However, the OP's mention of her eating disorder, anxiety, feelings of slipping out of control and feelings of anxiety around food suggest the eating disorder (the important part of it) is still a really big part of her life.

I saw this thread earlier and it has some useful information on it, especially the radio transcript in the latest post. I am not sure what 'motivation therapy' is, but that sounds as if it is going to be your best chance of beating the anxiety, or at least learning to live with it.

I am sorry if I came across as being rude, it's just I'm aware there are parents on Mumsnet who have children with anorexia who need support. This isn't a place to ask for help on how anorexic people should lose weight.

Khimaira Wed 16-Oct-13 20:48:35

But she's not asking how to lose weight is she yeghouls? She's asking if anyone has any help for stopping the urge to gorge on unhealthy foods. That's not the same thing at all.

brettgirl2 Wed 16-Oct-13 21:47:43

Why would I be the OP? I'm pointing out her weight is probably healthier than before. Maybe she's hungry all the time because her body needs the food?

Brettgirl your name hadn't appeared on the thread before and was written in the first person, that's why it was confusing. Now I understand but I'd suggest it wasn't really the time or place for a sarcastic comment, which I now see it was hmm.

^ also what khimaira said to yeghouls, I didn't see anything in the op about wanting to lose weight confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now