Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

health anxiety

(833 Posts)
hopeliss Mon 14-Oct-13 11:18:02

has anybody ever found a cure for health anxiety. it has plagued my life for 7 years and don't see an end to it. awful day today.
ps never been on mumsnet before. sorry if this is the wrong place to raise this.

Haggisfish Mon 15-Sep-14 10:22:42

I did a bit, although ironically I felt super healthy and alive and like my body was doing exactly what it was designed to do when I was pregnant! I had two healthy babies and ended up bf for three and a half years. Bf was the best anti anxiety thing I have done-I loved it and ghe calm it gave me.

joeschmoesmum Sun 14-Sep-14 18:23:51

I'm glad I found an active thread on HA, though have not managed to read it all, just the last few pages. I'm amazed at just how common it seems to be and how many of us (otherwise highly functioning adults) have it and suffer in silence.

Currently 20 weeks pregnant after several miscarriages and going crazy. Convincing myself I am going to lose my baby. I have a list as long as my arm about things I have been to/called my dr about during this pregnancy,but having a particularly bad time at the moment. I,m at the point where I wish I could just take something to make it through the rest of this pregnancy....
Not sure what I need, probably reassurance from anyone who had HA during pg and lived to tell the tale (hopefully with a healthy baby at the end...)

Thank you for reading!

fackinell Sat 13-Sep-14 01:00:37

Mrs, I thought the same after 2 trips to A&E. I told the Dr that I was not a Münchausen case and that I knew my symptoms were real. I did turn out to have something wrong but luckily not serious. Was annoying to be fobbed off.

MrsRuffdiamond Fri 12-Sep-14 23:00:28

I've been suffering from terrible anxiety about a set of symptoms I've had for many months, and which have been investigated before and put down to IBS. Recently went back to the Dr. about it, and he suggested an endoscopy, followed by another ultrasound scan (to reassure me), but he said he will do no more investigation after that, as bloods have consistently been negative. (Have now done a lot of research on false negatives!)

My new anxiety - the fact that I will now have been labelled 'over-anxious' or some such (which I'm perfectly willing to accept!), means that if I were to develop anything more sinister, it might not be taken seriously, but be put down to my anxiety.

Stephray1985 Fri 12-Sep-14 21:25:31

Can't stop looking up systems on the internet tonight anxity is pretty bad had a good few days I don't no why I can't just have normal thoughts !!! May have to go to the doctors soon what will they say to me will they put me on anyi depressants cause I'm not depressed I just have bad anxity ?

ballofworry Thu 11-Sep-14 16:30:01

feeling more anxious today ..tuesdays coming up ...want to look forward to moving but keeps coming over me .... hmm

ballofworry Wed 10-Sep-14 20:11:36

hows everyone ?x

ballofworry Tue 09-Sep-14 22:17:57

no worries i have had bloods a few weeks ago so you wern't far off x

Haggisfish Tue 09-Sep-14 21:46:00

Sorry-obviously got confused! Maybe my antibiotics aren't helping that much after all!!wink

ballofworry Tue 09-Sep-14 19:53:28

i havent had any recent blood tests haggis , but my last lot were ok thanks ,
glad the ABs are helping you and back to work to , and yes good distraction ..

Haggisfish Tue 09-Sep-14 19:23:28

How were your blood test results ball? I'm feeling a but better thanks to antibiotics that seem to be crying many of my aches and pains! Also back to work, which is good as I have less time to fret! And prod...

ballofworry Tue 09-Sep-14 18:53:54

yes that could be a plan , get moved and past my appointment sad tuesday ...
keeping busy helping me stop self checking ...out side corner mouth sore now as keep doing that ...just got to wait ... hmm

WasWats Tue 09-Sep-14 17:59:11

Ah ok I see. I thought it was another while. Well why not set a date for say ten days time or so and start them then.

ballofworry Tue 09-Sep-14 17:12:06

Friday/saturday ..

WasWats Tue 09-Sep-14 16:50:27

When is the move?

ballofworry Tue 09-Sep-14 16:38:56

Waswats , i have the tablets now , 10mg citalopram but reading the leaflet has left me feeling unsure so many side effects and information to take on board im really anxious about taking them now ....specially before i move .... hmm x

ballofworry Tue 09-Sep-14 16:36:39

Glad went well Korma , sounds like your doctor was very nice so thats good , i have been given Citalopram to to try .

hope your anxiety settles down a little now x

kormasutra Tue 09-Sep-14 15:25:26

Thanks for your kind message ballofworry, went to the doctors, he was new and very nice.
Checked my back, I was petrified, nothing wrong.
He said its most probably a symptom of anxiety and that I'd taken the first step just by going today and talking to him.

Feel a lot better just going there. He has given me 10 days worth of diazepam which I've had before, earlier in the year when I had my son's secondary school appeal which we lostsad
Looking back, it started then.
He wants to see me in ten days to discuss how I'm feeling and if i want to consider a low dose of meds longer term such as citalopram.
I hope everybody here is having a good day, the sun is shining here today and its lifted me a bit.
One day at a time x

ballofworry Tue 09-Sep-14 14:42:25

hi minion , i know that feeling , if you can try talk with your GP so he or she can explain your results , i had results few months back and receptionist said you need to make an appointment , i asked her why and she said she couldnt say ..(i do understand that they cant give details as not medically trained and all that dont get me wrong ) but with someone with severe health anxiety like me that really sent me through the roof ...so i asked if my doctor could call me back to explain and she did and i felt alot calmer once explained to me .

hope you get results soon and all is well xx

MinionDave Tue 09-Sep-14 13:49:38

Start the meds, there is no shame in it. The only side affect I had from starting fluoxetine was loss of appetite, which meant I lost about a half stone. Bonus really grin

I've phoned the doctors today looking for my blood test results, and been told to phone back after 2 as that's when they are due back and the doctor will have to look at them first as well. I am actually shitting it here clock watching!

ballofworry Tue 09-Sep-14 11:22:46

thank you waswats really kind of you x

WasWats Tue 09-Sep-14 10:43:21

Ballofworry.

You have to start the ads. You are not able to be full on with the move with your state of mind like this. The sooner you start, the sooner you will get better. And I will help you every step of the way. Anyway some people don;t get side effects!

ballofworry Tue 09-Sep-14 10:26:42

hello Korma , hope goes well at the doctors later , it may just be a from clothes tag scratching you iv had that before on a vest top , where the bra line is , bothered me for ages then i realised i only got it when i wore this certain top ..

im ok so far keeping busy today so much to do as moving friday !!

i went to my doctors last night about my mouth thing she looked at it said she didnt think was sinister but shes not an expert ..so not sure it that was helpful or not .. hmm
said my breasts were fine as i asked her to check them as had pain last week in one , and she also recommended i start my ADs ...
still debating when to start them ...before or after move ...concerned about side effects , need to be full on for this move ...

anyway hope everyone els is ok x

kormasutra Tue 09-Sep-14 09:33:04

I'm going to the docs later this morning, have got horrendous anxiety at the moment.
The weird thing is at the top of my back when my clothes move it is irritating me so bad. It doesn't hurt at all but is driving me crazy.
My dp thinks I'm going mad.
What I said above does sound weird when reading it back but I've got so many horrible thoughts in my head.
I hope everyone here is feeling ok today.

ballofworry Tue 09-Sep-14 08:25:44

How is everyone today ?x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now