Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

health anxiety

(652 Posts)
hopeliss Mon 14-Oct-13 11:18:02

has anybody ever found a cure for health anxiety. it has plagued my life for 7 years and don't see an end to it. awful day today.
ps never been on mumsnet before. sorry if this is the wrong place to raise this.

Haggisfish Thu 21-Aug-14 21:27:19

Yep, me too-I feel like something dreadful must be about to happen and everything else is quite good really! I can't really link mine to anything specific, but I did nearly die from whooping cough when I was six and my mum got me later on.

mandmsmummy Thu 21-Aug-14 20:47:12

That's exactly it, waiting for the next tragedy, frightened to enjoy life incase it goes wrong again. X

awfulomission Thu 21-Aug-14 20:34:25

I'm so sorry to hear about your mums.

I fell ill and nearly died as a child then I lost my DF after a long illness and nearly my DM a few years later. Same illness, crazy as it's not inherited. Then my best, dearest friend in the world died suddenly in the night a few years later. She'd lost her mum earlier that year.

I too can't enjoy my life at the moment. It's a good life; no money worries, lovely house, good job, really just my dream but I'm looking over my shoulder the whole time, waiting for the next tragedy.

My terror is about returning to those dark, agonising places.

One day at a time is all we can do. Feel the warm sun on our faces and be in the moment and enjoy it. It's hard but it's all we can do.

ballofworry Thu 21-Aug-14 20:11:14

awe bless you so sorry to hear that (((hugs)) i to lost my mum sadly sad 4 years ago this month ...wasnt my trigger but hasnt helped .

i had a cyst on my hand 6 /7 years ago i was convinced was C , at around same time , kids had bad tummy bug went through us all was truly awful , and my tummy didnt recover so convinced i had BC , went on to have tests investigations (sought by myself ) doc thought was IBS all along , i was convinced was BC , after alot of anxiety , tests and worry , the doctor was right IBS triggered all by stress and anxiety , vicious circle ...and still goes on today ...
some days better than others ...and so it goes on ....i now just try to take a day at a time with the health anxiety but it is hard ..x

mandmsmummy Thu 21-Aug-14 20:01:28

Me too, always an anxious child, a worrier but my health anxiety kicked in 15 years ago when I suddenly lost my mum, she was my best friend and I couldn't imagine life without her. She was always supposed to be around. Life has gone on and I have the most amazing husband and two perfect children but I spoil things by being like this. X

ballofworry Thu 21-Aug-14 19:58:06

sounds very familiar ....iv been like this for 6 or so years , but always an anxious as a child ...

awfulomission Thu 21-Aug-14 19:46:42

Yes, this is chronic. I don't think there is a cure. Good days mean I can rationalise, bad I just slip away into a horrible world.

What am I afraid of? I can't really say. It's never the illness itself, or physical pain or discomfort. It's most likely the emotional agony that goes with seeing someone you love in pain, sad, devastated by the situation they find themselves in.

My DSs banged their heads this afternoon on the trampoline. Now one's got a headache and i'm debating a and e. DH is still unwell (getting slowly better, probably not Ebola - I can have a good old laugh at myself now) and really not in a good way to support my nutty behaviour.

Do you ever think back to what caused it, or the first time you felt an unreasonable amount of worry? For me, I'm a definite natural worrier but life's been hard and unlucky for me too and I had to deal with some massively shit things as a child and young adult.

mandmsmummy Thu 21-Aug-14 19:46:03

Isn't it miserable?
I feel guilty too because I must get on my hubby's nerves even though he is so patient with me. X

ballofworry Thu 21-Aug-14 19:38:08

dito this end , i just seem to ride the waves ....good days , then bad ...iv yet to find a cure either ....x

mandmsmummy Thu 21-Aug-14 19:32:25

Hi
New to this thread but not new to health anxiety.
Had it a long time and sometimes I'm ok and others well I'm a nutter!
Last week I had cervical cancer, today a brain tumour. But the issue for me is there are some real symptoms which could be these and I can't seem to rationalise that it could be something else.
My poor hubby, I'm really fed up now.
I did the cbt thing and it helped, I understand what I have and what it does but I can't say it has ever cured me. Anti depressants a few times too but again help. but don't cure.
Xx

ballofworry Thu 21-Aug-14 19:07:15

how is everyone doing ?

awfulomission Tue 19-Aug-14 13:40:07

Be busy.

Breathe.

Allow yourself a set time of worry-then when the times over (10 mins) get busy.

Yes it happened to someone you know. They are different to you. It's highly unlikely to be a tumour. You are going to be fine. The desperate trapped feeling is ha, and it's 10 times worse when you have the dcs to be responsible for too.

(Says I, convinced that dh with a tummy bug has ebola)!

ballofworry Tue 19-Aug-14 10:21:53

sorry to hear your struggling today Dearyme1 this health anxiety is awful sad
if you can try get out of the house as haggisfish said will help distract you .
and step away from Dr Google he knows nothing ...

Does your doctor want to see you again ? if your still so worried cant do any harm to go back just to get checked again , give you peace of mind to .
x

Haggisfish Tue 19-Aug-14 09:35:47

Oh poor you. Think that the poor person who it happened to is the one in a million statistic so it is so unlikely to happen to you too. You are more likely to win the lottery-and do you really believe that will happen?! With the kids I find getting out to the play park or for a walk is best way to distract myself and not get snappy with them. Did you explain to gp what you are worried about? I do this so they can reassure me in terms of missing symptoms.

Dearyme1 Tue 19-Aug-14 08:33:26

Really struggling at the mo. I have arm pain which I've been told by the GP that is a trapped nerve but I'm increasingly distressed by it.

It's gotten worse recently but has been going on since about May.

I am CONVINCED it's caused a tumour pressing on nerves. This happened to someone I know.

Please help me today. I've got the kids and struggling. x

ballofworry Mon 18-Aug-14 21:19:37

im on Ebola watch on my news app daily ....hmm

as i am with many things, HA sufferer also so sympathise with all you have mentioned ,
hopefully you will both feel better after a good nights sleep .

Haggisfish Mon 18-Aug-14 20:57:41

Aaaargh! Oh god. Tis literally a counting down the minutes until the Ebola incubation period is over!!!

awfulomission Mon 18-Aug-14 20:51:56

Ah, bless you haggis. I want to care for him but feel awful myself! Ffs, I know I'm catastrophising but can't stop.

Holiday cases everywhere, dcs still running round as they're still on 'holiday timing' and a dh with an upset stomach and temperature. Argh. Can't pull this one back from the edge.

Haggisfish Mon 18-Aug-14 20:27:10

Oh poor you. I empathise completely. I am sure it is not Ebola but know totally what is like to be utterly convinced about something.

awfulomission Mon 18-Aug-14 20:08:37

I want to laugh and cry at the same time.

Had a great holiday, felt really relaxed. Got home today.

Dh has a temperature today and feels bad. I'm convinced he has Ebola. (We've been in Southern Europe, not Africa ffs).

I'm a long, long term ha sufferer. Cbt worked well but when illness strikes nothing really.

Just wanted to tell someone how awful I feel sad

ballofworry Sun 17-Aug-14 12:09:59

ok not heard of that before hope you get some answers soon , its the not knowing i find the hardest as my mind can start to wonder ...
i suffer with health anxiety and its horrid i cant seem to stop the cycle ,im going to talk to my doctor on tuesday see what she can suggest maybe i can get some CBT on the NHS ...
hope you feel better soon to , i have to go out now but will check in later

Haggisfish Sun 17-Aug-14 12:00:25

It's a very rare cancer of soft tissue like muscle or connecting tissue. You can get sarcoma in the bone, too. It's just the lump is very hard and no one can tell me what it is or has seen one like it before! Am trying to be both rational and thinking well if it is the worst, hopefully I've cUght it early. And if it does turn out to be nothing, I am arranging intensive counselling/psychological help and taking medication to help me stop catastrophising like this. Hope you feel better.

ballofworry Sun 17-Aug-14 11:46:28

thanks , whats a sarcoma?

Haggisfish Sun 17-Aug-14 11:21:56

Fingers crossed for you-it can take a few weeks for your iron levels to change. My leg is no better and am still convinced it's sarcoma!!

ballofworry Sun 17-Aug-14 09:26:35

how you feeling now ? hope your legs little better ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now