Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

health anxiety

(717 Posts)
hopeliss Mon 14-Oct-13 11:18:02

has anybody ever found a cure for health anxiety. it has plagued my life for 7 years and don't see an end to it. awful day today.
ps never been on mumsnet before. sorry if this is the wrong place to raise this.

Milkmachinemadness Tue 18-Mar-14 21:09:50

Mine feels really hard which is scaring me , think its bone but its a lot bigger then the other side :-/

Milkmachinemadness Wed 19-Mar-14 07:52:01

Great DD doesn't want this breast now , she doesn't like it , making me v v paranoid

Milkmachinemadness Wed 19-Mar-14 19:38:47

How was the clinic today ?

Milkmachinemadness Fri 21-Mar-14 14:02:43

Theonlyoneiknow r u there ? I'm worried about you

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 21-Mar-14 14:53:22

Hi sorry here, consultant couldnt feel a lump but could see dent so now have to wait till 4tj April for an ultrasound. Am bit worried as I know there is a sneaky breast cancer which isn't a lump :-(

JohnSnowsTie Sat 22-Mar-14 17:12:23

Hi there

Just putting this out there really, don't know if I'll come back to the thread but need to get it off my chest!

Have always suffered with general anxiety although it's been much better since I've had my DCs. However since DC3 its come back and is mainly health related.

I have a molar which had root canal a few years ago and in the last few weeks, part of it snapped off. Now the palate next to it has swollen up and i'm convinced it's going to spread into my brain and I'm going to die! DH seems very confident it will all be fine (have a dentist appointment on Monday afternoon and am thinking also of going to the doctor on Monday morning) but how can he possibly know? I'm a fierce Googler and have read about every worst-case scenario out there and am just convinced it's going to be a terrible outcome and the DCs are going to have to live without a mum.

I feel like a fly on the wall at home, as if I'm preparing not to be there.

Argh - hate feeling like this and could write so much more but don't know if it would do any good.

Part of me wants to go to A&E, but the fact that it's not painful (yet) makes me think they'd be annoyed with me - after all I'd just be going because I'd been Googling and making myself panic.

Thanks anyone for reading.

Milkmachinemadness Sun 23-Mar-14 10:02:19

Oh we'll at least it's not too far to wait ? Did he reassure you or anything ?
Hi John Snow , welcome to this thread. Your in the right place. Sorry your going through this too. I'm
Wondering if a lot if it is hormone unbalance after having kids or something ? As a lot of women seem
To suffer this after having babies ?

Le1890 Mon 24-Mar-14 01:26:58

Hi Ladies

Sorry I've not been on in a not. Been trying to keep busy.

Milk and Theonlyoneiknow I totally understand the breast issues. My left breast freaks me out. It's bigger than the right, has a massive blue vein On it and my underarm ache. I'm still breastfeeding my 12 month old. It just feels like lumps galore in both! Milk I would see another gp an tell them you want the referral. Whilst I don't think there is anything wrong, it's not the point and is wrong to say to come back after stopped feeding!

Well I'm totally overwhelmed and can feel my ha catching up with me. I've been worrying for a while that I have a prolapse. Had a big baby, 3rd degree tear an I'm overweight. Anyway gp confirmed I do but she says its mild! It doesn't feel mild to me when I'm leaking and also after I pee I need to squeeze a bit I get las dribbles out.

So as if having this isn't bad enough I've convinced myself that there's more to it that just the childbirth trauma and it's Becuae I have tumours somewhere in my stomach or ovaries!! And that I have a big tummy not Becuase in overweight but Because of said tumours!

Also I've been having bowel problems for about 1 year plus, upset stomach when I eat certain foods and often soft stools. My gp says its ibs.

I also have acid reflux. Also I have a little patch of dry skin on my upper thigh that's been there for months and now tonight I'm thinking it's skin cancer!

I feel so overwhelmed and literally want scans galore but I know my gp is going to say I don't need them. I've read stories of ladies with the things I have who turned out to hae ovarian ca. Even though inha my ovaries scanned just over 1 year ago during pregnancy.

And ofcourse as I've already said I also think bc in left breast!

Plus i had a virus 2.5 weeks ago and even though I feel well now, I'm having sinus issues and throat pain. Ha is telling me my immune system is low from ca!!!!

Sorry for war and peace I just needed to get all of this off my chest as I'm struggling right now zxx

Milkmachinemadness Mon 24-Mar-14 12:05:49

Oh gosh how terrible for you sad yea I'm still bfeeding 20 mo , I'm same as you worry after worry after worry. I hope they speed up my CBT , how everyone else today ?

Meganlillymai Wed 26-Mar-14 20:01:34

Le ive had my sinus infection for weeks they can last a long time. I also worry that i have low immune system. I have my first cbt app soon
My tablets dont seem to be helping :/

choclab Tue 08-Apr-14 21:30:02

fellow HA sufferer here sad ....hows everyone doing today

Haggisfish Wed 09-Apr-14 02:44:49

Hello
Can I join in?! Have suffered HA fr years on and off, culminating about 7 yearsago withme convincing myself I had lymphoma, four months off work and AD and, obviously, no lymphoma! I know I worry about my health when trying not to worry about other things (so that particular episode was triggered by getting engaged and buying a house - exciting, but I don't deal well with change!). Anyway, I have had an extremely stressful time at work recently and am in the middle of selling and buying a house and I have recently developed a very sore spot on the back of my neck, possibly with a small soft swelling there, too. Logically I think I have strained my neck lifting my twelve ton children or, more likely, being on my phone and MN ALL DAY pretty much, but obviously in my head I have cancer and am going to die. Again. I feel a bit better writing it down as I realise how ludicrous it sounds, and I'll go to the doctor tomorrow to double check. Can others reassure me that they get these irrational thoughts as well?

Haggisfish Wed 09-Apr-14 02:45:28

Oh, and what's really annoying is that my Mum has DD tonight so me and DH can get some sleep - grrrr!

Haggisfish Wed 09-Apr-14 02:47:11

And for ladies with lumpy BF boobs - I had this, too and had investigations which found some dense tissue but nothing else. They settled right down again when I stopped feeding. It is so highly unlikely while Bf and think about all the protective properties you release while BF. Although I fully appreciate that won't stop you worrying!

choclab Wed 09-Apr-14 08:26:30

hope you got some sleep in the end haggisfish .....
yes i to get severe moments of these thoughts , daily id say , every day there seems to be a new thing ...
I'm now elf diagnosing myself for symptoms iv been having past months , and think iv got it right ...
going to try get appt today to see doctor but its doubtful , have to get past the host of unhelpful receptionists first ....you cant book in advance well you can if want to wait a month ....and on the day appointments go by 9 if your lucky to be the chosen one to get through on the phone and get one ....its crazy ....
you can't now request a call back from your doctor you have to make an appointment for a phone appointment which again can't get ....

so dr googel it is and thats just not good i know, but iv now searched and found I'm possibly diabetic ....but not type 1 or 2 another type that involves the pretuitory gland in the brain , not functioning and may need a mri scan to diagnose and cold be linked to a brain Tumor .....
so iv now got to somehow wait and see if i can get an appointment to start the process ...in the mean time its taking over my thinking constantly ...
sorry for rant just good to know I'm not the only health anx sufferer ...

choclab Sat 12-Apr-14 18:15:19

bump

chocchips Sat 12-Apr-14 23:23:21

Hi everyone, can I join?
Have health anxiety which is crippling me, I can't help but turn any small ache/pain into something major/life threatening as I have horrific thoughts of dying young and not seeing my beautiful dd grow up.

I'm worrying about a blood clot in my thigh after too many trips to dr Google and now I can't sleep I'm full of panic sad just want a way out from this.

WasWats Fri 18-Apr-14 18:26:01

Choc, go and talk about all this to the doctor. Write everything down, how many different terminal illnesses you have 'had' this year and show them how much you are struggling. I was the very same. In a period of about 8 weeks I had, breast cancer, skin cancer, a brain tumour and bowel cancer. I now take 10 mgs of Lexapro, and I have no illnesses thank God.

Haggisfish3 Fri 18-Apr-14 19:28:41

Me too, again! I did get out of it seven years ago by taking Prozac and getting into a good daily routine. I don't like change, though, and we are buying a new house, which has set me off again. Convinced I have leukaemia or lymphoma due to sore glands - probably just strained muscles from carrying heavy toddler and sleep deprivation! I'm going to try doing my mindfulness/meditation again - that helped a bit, as did doing jigsaws (random, I know!).

BubaMarra Thu 24-Apr-14 10:20:12

Hello everyone,

I have a problem. I was always a worrier, but managed for HA not to take over my whole life. Up until now. Three weeks ago my pap smear came back as mild to moderate changes in endocervical cells which are more worrisome than changes on the outer part of the cervix. I don't want to go into detail as I know it can exacerbate some of your worries. I am scheduled for cold knife conisation in about 10 days. My life is not the same any more. I am not the same anymore. Dr Google scared the shit out of me. To the point that I just cannot function anymore. I have seen few gynecology consultants and the ones that encourage me - I don't believe them as I think they either don't have enough clinical experience in this particular problem or they are just trying to comfort me. Then there was this one consultant that was not really talkative and when I asked her if there was a chance that it WASN'T malignant, she just replied well there is always a chance that it was not malignant. Of course now I fixate on her and her attitude.

I cannot cope with the possibility of my children growing up without me, that is my biggest fear. I dread the thought of me causing them such a pain. My dead died of prostate cancer 6 years ago and I still haven't healed and I was 30 at the time. My children are only 5 and 2.5. I see older women and I think lucky them, I wish I was 60 or 70, that would also mean my children would already be grown up. I look at my children and how beautiful and happy they are and just cannot shake off the sad feeling that I might not be there for them.

A week ago I realised I could not cope anymore and started counseling. So far only one session but it was really helpful. Towards the end of the session the counsellor asked me if I ever worried about losing my parents as a child. She hit the nail on the head with that one. I worried ever since I remember, but I thought it was normal as I am an only child so parents were always my only family. Also I remember talking about it to my best friend (aged 8 or 9) who confirmed she had the same fear. The counsellor said it was not the fact that I am an only child that caused the anxiety, but rather something that happened in the family dynamics during my childhood that triggered my worries that I was going to lose my mother. And it's the same worry that I am going through right now but this time with the changed roles - now I am the mother who is worried that she would die and leave her children behind causing them pain.

I just cannot cope with this pain at the moment. I am scared. Just scared. And that is an understatement. I feel I am not capable of facing any bad news. I feel like taking my whole womb out and not looking back. I don't want to know if there's something wrong with it, I FEAR knowing anything. And I am not just saying this, I am totally serious about it. I wish someone could just take me through the whole procedure without me knowing any medical details. I don't fear physical pain or the consequences of such a radical procedure, I fear emotional pain. I cannot cope with that.

Hemlock2013 Sat 03-May-14 08:11:42

Morning, sorry to hear to hear there are so many people with this awful thing!

My anxiety has gotten terrible lately. I moved house and started smoking again due to the stress but I think it's causing me more to smoke! My dad died very young of a heart attack and I'm sure I'm feeling pins and needles in my left arm after smoking? Although it does go away... It's driving me mental!

I have had heart tests before and nothing came up then but I'm still in a tizz...

Any advice is welcome x

LovelyBath Sat 03-May-14 11:40:02

Hi there, Bubamara that must be so scary. It probably isn't help but I have heard that cervical cancer is one of the better ones if caught early, which it sounds like in your case they have (if it is malignant that is). If you did want a hysterectomy maybe you could talk with them about that if it would help put your mid at rest and you have finished your family.

WasWats Tue 27-May-14 12:54:19

How is everyone doing?

WasWats Sat 07-Jun-14 12:30:35

Howmuch101 Sun 08-Jun-14 16:01:02

Struggling at the moment. I am having sensations down my arm and in my chest - not particularly painful but there.

Of course I'm certain it's a tumour or lung cancer...

It's taken over (as is the case with me) and I really feel it ruins my life.

Have any of you found peace from this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now