Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

emetophobes, it's that time of year :(

(501 Posts)
devilinside Mon 07-Oct-13 09:31:28

First bucket sighting at school this morning. My sister had norovirus last week after attending a party where some selfish buggers thought it was acceptable to bring along a vomiting toddler. Most of the other guests got the bug including an elderly man. Feel free to add your rants and worries here.

Triliteral Tue 18-Feb-14 23:13:07

Hope you sleep well Kazza. If your colleague wasn't actively having v or d, there's a good chance there was no contagion. Hopefully it's just nerves (which would be perfectly understandable).

3boysplusme Wed 19-Feb-14 07:53:01

Devilinside have PMed you

kazzawazzawoo Wed 19-Feb-14 08:18:03

Thanks. I managed to sleep last night and feel ok this morning. I had no motilium, must get some.

ephemeralfairy Mon 24-Feb-14 20:39:06

Oh god oh god someone has been sick in communal hall outside my flat and outside the front door. Am on the verge of panic. Who would do that and not try and clear it up?? Have just texted my housemate to ask him to be really careful when he comes in because if I think there are traces in the house I will go mad. Do you think if I got him to pour bleach and boiling water on it it might kill the germs? I'm convinced I can smell it in the house hmm

ephemeralfairy Mon 24-Feb-14 20:39:44

If it's still there tomorrow I won't be able to leave the house.

devilinside Mon 24-Feb-14 21:11:23

Oh god, that's awful, don't know what to suggest, I wouldn't know what to do either, and would feel like packing my bags until it had been cleared up. Perhaps someone will clear it up by the morning, or perhaps your flatmate can deal with it. Sorry, not being very helpful, I only know how to deal with my DC's vomit, and that's bad enough

ephemeralfairy Mon 24-Feb-14 21:38:47

Thanks devil. Ironically I thought I'd been a bit better recently but clearly not as this has sent me into a complete tailspin. Ok, I'm actually not working this week as we're moving at the weekend so I'm frantically packing up and cleaning...so technically I don't need to go out, not tomorrow anyway. Deep breaths... I hate that it can control me like this hmm.

kazzawazzawoo Mon 24-Feb-14 21:47:17

Ephemeral, that's horrid. I would struggle too and I couldn't stand the smell hmm can you put newspaper over it first of all? Then is there someone who cleans the communal hallway? Or do you have someone who would clean it for you? I would definitely be cleaning with bleach afterwards, to get rid of the smell at the very least.

kazzawazzawoo Mon 24-Feb-14 22:55:09

I wondered if anyone could advise me regarding medication for anxiety. My gp has prescribed sertraline for depression and anxiety, but as the most common side effect is nausea and vomiting I can't bring myself to try them. They would make me MORE anxious! Has anyone been prescribed something for depression and anxiety that doesn't have this side effect?

ephemeralfairy Mon 24-Feb-14 23:18:58

Kazza I think I will try to chuck some bleach over it tomorrow, the newspaper is a good idea too.

WRT medication, I have taken Citalopram in the past which really helped me out of a bad place. I think nausea is a side effect of most ADs, but I managed to avoid getting it too badly by starting with a quarter of the recommended dose every day then building up slowly to allow my body to get used to it. The advice is always to come off them slowly so I thought surely it should work the other way too. Ask yr GP's advice though!

Anyway I just felt sort of tired and a bit dizzy most of the time, and it wore off quickly. I never vommed or felt like I was going to.

Marne Tue 25-Feb-14 08:14:34

I would chuck black and a bucket of water over it, hopefully it's just drunken vomit and not poorly vomit so no risk of catching anything, thank god I live in the middle of nowhere so no one can vomit outside my front door, I always feel sick when I see it in people's doorways and outside shops.

Marne Tue 25-Feb-14 10:35:26

Bleach, not 'black'.

kazzawazzawoo Tue 25-Feb-14 16:50:10

Thanks ephemeral for the tip re ADs. I'll have a chat with my gp, but when I mentioned it when she prescribed them I didn't feel she took my emetaphobia seriously (but then who does?!). She originally said that they might make me feel sick and when I mentioned emetaphobia she said, oh, you'll probably be fine.

Twighlightsparkle Fri 07-Mar-14 19:56:50

I've been prescribed a few anti anxiety media and not taken due to prospect of vomiting. However I take diazepam occasionally, it's fine.

We live in a main road in and out of town and have had two vomiting people outside our house, not drunken, one was a child got out a car , theothermwas an adult opened the car door and vomited in our garden.

I went out with bleach and a bucket

kazzawazzawoo Fri 07-Mar-14 20:11:48

Twighlight, do you find you can function when taking diazepam? It doesn't make you too sleepy? and also do you feel you could become addicted?

Twighlightsparkle Sat 08-Mar-14 13:16:53

Hi, I actually took half a tablet one day when the anxiety was awful, it wasn't emmetophobia related really but I took a half and I was amazed at home much it helped.

It was my husbands birthday and we went out for lunch and I felt fine, normal.

I've taken it twivpce since, so a total of three times, half a tablet each time.

I can see its addictive too as it makes me feel normal but I don't want to always be medicated .

It's so tricky to know what to do!

My next emmetophobia issue is, I won't to the hairdressers today with my two kids, husband comes to take 5 year old home after her haircut, so she doesn't touch toys! I went last, 10 year old sits wi a book of her own while I get mine done and hairdressers declares she had a vomiting bug yesterday, yesterday.

Great!

kazzawazzawoo Sat 08-Mar-14 13:41:17

Oh god twighlight I would be a nervous wreck! However, you are unlikely to catch anything.

Thanks for the advice re diazepam. I'll chat to my gp next week about it.

Twighlightsparkle Sat 08-Mar-14 15:41:29

Diazepam has got me throu ree very tough days , three since November. Hope you get on ok at your gp

kazzawazzawoo Sat 08-Mar-14 17:24:16

Does anyone else take medication for their anxiety? What sort and do you get on ok with it?

MotheringShites Sun 09-Mar-14 01:21:41

DS2 just been dick all over his bed. Sitting here in panic. My heart is pounding so fast. Everyone else asleep.

MotheringShites Sun 09-Mar-14 01:22:03

*sick sad

Twighlightsparkle Sun 09-Mar-14 07:55:13

How's things mothering?

Hope all is ok.

I had one last night with Diarrhea 4x in the night and another awake feeling sick.

kazzawazzawoo Sun 09-Mar-14 15:52:52

Mothering, how is dc now? Hopefully it was just the once.

MotheringShites Sun 09-Mar-14 17:43:32

Thanks for the messages. It wasn't good I'm afraid. He's stopped now but it's been a long day. Only saving grace was that I had a pack of pampers bed mats which helped with easy disposal. He's only just turned 3 so it's the worst of the bunch. Just hoping the other two are ok.

pinkkoala Sun 09-Mar-14 20:30:41

Havent visited for a while but tonite in a panic. My dh took dd to visit his parents today, i was working. When he got there his dad said that his mum had been up all nite vomiting. Now i am paniking cos of dd getting it. I cant beleive he didnt think to come straight home, he knows how i get. What do u lot reckon, could it be bug or sumthing else, i wont sleep now for next couple of nghts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now