Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Doctor has taken away my sleeping tablets

(120 Posts)
filee777 Wed 02-Oct-13 23:40:43

When I went on sertraline, I was given sleeping tablets because I just wasn't able to fall asleep. For a month now I have taken them and it's been a massive part of my recovery to know that at night I will sleep

The doctor refused to renew my prescription today and said I had to make the 14 that I have last.

I've just started a degree and my head is swimming. I am thinking I will have to stop taking the sertraline despite them really really helping me. I just can't sleep. It's 11.30 now and I've been lying here for near on 2 hours unable to sleep, getting more and more anxious about the day ahead.

I've taken a tablet now because I NEED sleep. What can I do? Can I buy decent sleeping tablets? Should I just start dosing myself up with over the counter codeine every night?

I need sleep sad

filee777 Wed 09-Oct-13 19:12:26

So another night of no tablet tonight, I've asked for the doctor to phone me tomorrow because I am unsure about dealing with going back to work before i have managed to speak to the psyche team and understand what the hell is going on.

The college thing seems to have evened out, I dont treat people differently based on past shite so they seem to have laid off me a bit. I have asked to move tutor groups and the tutors have all agreed that is acceptable, just waiting to see what the next bit will be, whether i will just move into a group of 5 and be an extra one or whether they will ask someone to swap with me.

My biggest issue is that one of the girls decided that as she had created a facebook group for us all to communicate on, she was suddenly the moderator and decider of everything in that group. In the last tutorial (considering i was like shaking and obviously very distressed all day) she decided to start throwing her weight around, how she would be deciding who stayed in the group and who didnt etc.

I responded very clearly with 'it needs to be democratic, you cannot just decide to 'oversee' something without so much as a vote!' and she continued to sort of get at me. It was weird because I find it really hard to validate my feelings but one of the other girls in the group said she felt very much that it was directed at me and an attack on me (for absolutely no reason) which did help me feel a bit more like my opinions mattered.

I dont have an issue being with them in class at all but i really really dont want to be in a very small tutor group with them. Lots of the rest of the group have mentioned that they dont really understand why the two girls have been put together, given that they obviously have some sort of friendship and seem to club together in class and stuff.

Anyway, I hope that will be the end of it, I will either move tutor groups or just have individual meetings with my tutor which is fine. Just a shame really!

Sorry to read you are having a hard time at uni. I've just read the whole thread because I'm having sleep/alcohol problems.

kim147 Tue 08-Oct-13 22:46:08

Hope today went ok. That stuff shouldn't be happening at Uni.

valiumredhead Tue 08-Oct-13 21:49:06

Oh you poor thing that's rottensad can talk to your tutor?

filee777 Mon 07-Oct-13 22:32:48

Really uneasy tonight, just thinking about the day and all the stuff that's gone on. I wish I didn't have these issues with these girls, it's really bloody upset me. Nervous and scared for tomorrow.

filee777 Mon 07-Oct-13 17:17:01

Will definitely do the half pill thing x

filee777 Mon 07-Oct-13 17:16:49

They are bloody awful girls yeah sad Not what i need when i am shaking and trying to hold everything together. I actually struggled to hold a pen this afternoon it was dreadful.

valiumredhead Mon 07-Oct-13 17:13:56

If you need to take another one just take half, it'll be enough to knock you out still.

How you get things sorted, are they mean girls?sad

filee777 Mon 07-Oct-13 17:08:28

I couldn't get to sleep last night so I took a sleeping tablet.

Today i am shaky and nervous but i think that is more to do with social anxiety and issues with girls at Uni than anything else. I have asked to be moved tutor groups because they are just being AWFUL to me.

Oh well, I am sure it will all come out in the wash.

I will try the horlicks/book thing again tonight (it was really nice to do that anyway actually) and i was very good not to look at my phone or a screen. I will be a bit pissed tonight too so... might help ;)

valiumredhead Mon 07-Oct-13 14:40:41

How's it going OP?smile

filee777 Sun 06-Oct-13 11:15:47

Yes the maths question is biting isn't it!

Thanks for this thread guys, it's really, really helped smile

kim147 Sun 06-Oct-13 11:03:24

Sleep is a weird thing. I struggled in the first few nights on the tablets but had a busy day yesterday so was tired.

Horlicks and a book sound good.

I just need closure on that maths question grin

LEMisdisappointed Sun 06-Oct-13 11:00:30

Whoop whoop smile Well done fillee!

filee777 Sun 06-Oct-13 10:17:55

Definitely getting me some Horlicks for tonight, bed an hour before I want to sleep and am just going to read.

I think one of the biggest things that helped was me saying 'right if I don't sleep after 20mins of trying I will just forget trying to sleep, turn the light on, wait 40mins and then try again'. I did that sort of 'guilt free' getting to sleep routine three times last night and fell asleep with ease when I finally did.

valiumredhead Sun 06-Oct-13 09:38:12

Hooraygrin

filee777 Sun 06-Oct-13 08:34:29

thanks kim, I was SO pleased I got the same answer as you!

filee777 Sun 06-Oct-13 08:33:49

Great news guys, I was anxious til about 11, then tried reading a book in bed, fell asleep naturally just after 12! And slept through til now! Bless husband leaving me to sleep!

kim147 Sat 05-Oct-13 22:59:12

Hope you got some sleep tonight. After all those maths questions grin

silvermirror Sat 05-Oct-13 22:03:17

I avoid the news before bed because news before bed can be quite disturbing and in some cases horrific, One Night i caught the last headline warning the public that a seriel killer was on the run after an escape from prison with a mug shot, couldnt sleep all Night! So i avoid news, horror films, murder suspence at least an hr before bed. So id say a big no no to news before bed.

filee777 Sat 05-Oct-13 20:48:56

But yes, I will do half ten, watch the news then go to bed.

filee777 Sat 05-Oct-13 20:40:14

I have to get up at six the days I have college though, otherwise I only have half an hour to get me and the kids ready (husband would kill me I reckon)

valiumredhead Sat 05-Oct-13 20:38:47

That does sound incredibly early. I would aim for 10.30 and up at 7, that's loads of sleep. Yes getting up at same time is important.

filee777 Sat 05-Oct-13 20:24:06

I really, really don't want to get up at 6am every day...

earlyriser Sat 05-Oct-13 20:21:59

I think i also read somewhere that getting UP at the same time everyday, regardless of how much sleep you have had, or when you went to bed/fell asleep, is hugely important in improving insomnia. So no lie ins after a crap night's sleep, or at the weekend.

I guess this is difficult if you work shifts, but while you are signed off it may be worth trying.

No sleep is shit, hope it improves soon.

filee777 Sat 05-Oct-13 20:13:18

Yeah I often go to bed at 9.30/10.

Up at 6 or latest 7.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now