Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Art therapy

(6 Posts)
fuzzpig Wed 02-Oct-13 21:59:50

I'm hoping to get this next year. I was very creative in childhood/teens and then when I went to a psychiatric unit I had wonderful support from their school, we did loads of art/music/writing as therapy.

Then when I left I just stopped all that as I no longer felt safe expressing myself sad

I want to allow myself to be more creative again. I've started going to a local charity funded art group in the meantime which is great.

silvermirror Wed 02-Oct-13 21:55:45

Continued..... It gave me an outlet and a Real opportunity to illustrate my past, it is however very exhausting so you must rest and recharge in between therapies and you will need a lot of support practically, I lived in residential settings when I recieved Art Therapy. So Ensure you have additional support. If u can be successful at recieving Art Therapy I would absaloutly recommend you accept it.

silvermirror Wed 02-Oct-13 21:45:08

Hi snowymouse I have a history of Art Therapy, fistly it doesnt matter is you cant draw very well, most of my drawings where childlike, there is a lot of words in a drawing, it can be very intensive and reveals hidden or unconsious feelings, emotions, its Really good for expression and creativity, I recieved Art Therapy for five years and though I dont recieve it anymore I still draw, I recently drew a timeline of my life, it Really helped fill in the gaps of my life and move on from past experiences,

Waferthinmint Wed 02-Oct-13 17:10:41

I think nananina might know something about this

Milkhell Wed 02-Oct-13 14:29:31

Watching with interest!

SnowyMouse Wed 02-Oct-13 10:39:01

I'm getting assessed for this. Has anyone had art therapy? What did you think? what was it like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now