Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Social anxiety and constant worrying about what others think.

(7 Posts)
LittleMissGerardLouiseButler Mon 30-Sep-13 19:38:25

I have had anxiety and OCD for years, and an paranoid about people not liking me, and I struggle with friendships and worry about falling out with people.

I am on a Facebook chat group with some others from school but they seem to be ignoring my replies to the chat, and one of them who I also speak to separately didn't reply to my last message.

I know it's probably my imagination but I find it exhausting and an worried noone likes me anymore.

I have low self esteem too.

Is anyone else like this? I hate feeling anti social but I can't help it and want to break the cycle.

ZombiesAteMyBigToe Mon 30-Sep-13 21:09:08

Yes. I thought I was better but events this week have shown me that I'm not.

At least I can recognise that I am being illogical which helps. Now I just need to deal with the mad thoughts.

In the past it has helped to throw myself into other things, distract, distract distract until sanity reasserts a little and I care about it a bit less. It needs some space and time to become a bit less urgent and all-consuming.

I'm on MN trying to distract but it isn't working as well tonight, combination of factors.

FavoriteThings Wed 02-Oct-13 19:50:11

Hi again op. I am not following you around btw! You sound lovely to me if that helps. Personally I fdont like Facebook, but that could well be my age. I am probably old enough to be your mother. My kids go on Facebook, but I do say to them to not be on there too much.

BloodshotDays Wed 02-Oct-13 20:01:12

Hi OP. I don't have practical advice I'm afraid but can say I completely understand and feel the same. I have Social Anxiety which links in with my depression and things have been so bad that in the summer I cancelled an appointment with a counsellor as I'm frightened of what they may have thought of me.

so yep, it is completely illogical but hard to break out of the cycle like you say - I can be fine for a while but then for example this week someone has deleted me off fb (sad i know) but it's left me paranoid once I realised.

at least we know we're not the only ones to feel that way, which is some comfort. Maybe we need an SA coping strategies support thread?

LittleMissGerardLouiseButler Wed 02-Oct-13 21:30:51

Hello again favorite grin

I wouldn't wish it on anyone but its good to know I'm not alone, thanks for the replies.

I have since been chatting to the person I was having an individual chat with, so I know all is fine.

It's so hard to break the paranoia cycle though when it's all you've ever known!

MadameLeMean Wed 02-Oct-13 21:33:12

Look up Jules Evans who wrote a book on using philosophy inspired CBT techniques to help him with acute social anxiety. I'm reading it at the moment.

kim147 Thu 03-Oct-13 22:15:05

You're not alone. I'm very much like this and I've probably got one of the worst jobs for this as a supply teacher.

I'm looking at CBT to find strategies to cope. It's so hard in teaching because you think you are being judged all the time. I hated having parents in as I was just wondering what they thought and I thought they would think I was not good enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now