Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Emetophobes - Is there an anti-emetic that works on Stomach Bugs/Norovirus

(26 Posts)
Katnisscupcake Thu 26-Sep-13 09:41:08

I have been an emetophobe for as long as I can remember with no idea what triggered it.

I've had CBT and Hypnotherapy, neither of which have helped.

Over 18 months ago I went to the GP and broke down, she referred me for the CBT but also prescribed me Buccal anti-emetics that you place between your gum and your lip when you start to feel nauseous and they stop the vomiting. These are now available direct from the pharmacy I believe.

The GP said that they work for all vomiting, whether bug related or not but I'm not sure whether that is right. My DD has had a tummy bug since then, at pre-school and I didn't catch it luckily. But now she's started in Reception and I've just found out today that a child is off with sickness.

I just want to be prepared.

A friend of mine has (naughtily) also given me a box of Metoclopramide that she was given for morning sickness and has said that these are the only anti-emetics that helped with that. But she's not sure whether they would help with a bug.

So has anyone taken anything for a tummy bug that has worked?

MistyMeena Thu 23-Oct-14 22:10:46

As an aside, anti-bac gel is useless against a virus. Boots do an anti-viral hand foam that is active on your hands for 6 hours.

BlotOnTheLandscape Thu 23-Oct-14 22:06:58

Stugeron works for my father when he is having sickness, whic he has often due to a long term health issue.

helensburgh Thu 23-Oct-14 22:02:37

Hi,

I have emmetophobia, I bought motilium a year or so ago, when you still could.

I was defintly coming down with a bug and felt really nauseatingly I took two motilium a few hours part and I believe it stoped vomiting, I did get the Diarrhea part of the bug ( I'm ok with that) the nausea was awful though but for me I hate the actual vomiting so much I could cope.

I have some left but am thinking if ask if go for a prescription

mummybean84 Thu 23-Oct-14 21:54:29

You can buy Buccastem over the counter it's meant to be a very effective anti-emetic but if you buy from boots I think they get you to fill out a questionnaire first?!

Oh no sad

lovelybrew Thu 23-Oct-14 20:54:57

Shit, really? Fuuuuuuuck. I also don't want to have to do to the GP to explain why I need it but I suppose when my current stock is exhausted I will have to. Dammit. Thanks for the heads up anyway, I would hate to run out and not know I couldn't get more. eeek.

marne2 Thu 23-Oct-14 16:04:44

I have bought these to give a go but still worried they won't be as good.

marne2 Thu 23-Oct-14 16:01:47

Just came on here to post as I'm in a panic, just went to the chemist to buy motilium to find you can no longer buy it over the counter sad, I have used it with great success for several years and if I don't have any in the house I panic ( I have none in the house ), I am scouring the internet to find an alternative, can anyone recommend anything? I know I could go to the gp to get a prescription for motilium but I hate having to go and explain my phobia to people and I feel silly asking sad.

FuckyNell Thu 23-Oct-14 14:13:22
FuckyNell Thu 23-Oct-14 14:12:03

you can't buy motillium 10 anymore, it's prescription only now

lovelybrew Thu 23-Oct-14 14:03:23

sarah, that's interesting, about the salt in a pint of water. Isn't salt an emetic though? Or would you need larger quantities before it had the opposite effect to the one intended? How does it work in terms of hurrying things through?

For folks interested in Motilium, you can get it in any boots over the counter, or buy it on Amazon.

mummybean84 Thu 23-Oct-14 11:37:12

Hi Katnisscupcake

I also have Emetophobia and currently receiving CBT for it. My Doctor actually prescribes me Metoclopromide as an anti emetic because of my phobia. about 18 months ago my daughter and husband both had a bad stomach bug which they picked up at a childrens party. A few days in I felt terrably sick and thought it was about to happen, I took one metoclopromide but didnt think it would have to work. However 15 minutes later i was feeling fine again and never got sick.

I spoke to my mum on the phone who doesnt have emetophobia but is prescribed an anti emetic (stemotil i think) for balance problems and dizzy spells and she thought she was going to be sick but didnt want to and so took a tablet and was ok again, she also never got sick.

I think it probably all depends but it has worked for me at least once for sure.

take care

Mummybean84

sarahe973 Thu 23-Oct-14 10:50:53

Yes, I always stock up on Motilium 10 in autumn for when my kids bring home the tummy bug! I think it works: I've had the bug twice since discovering Motilium, and though I felt quite sick I wasn't sick. Instead, I flushed the bug out the other end by drinking salt water (which I kept down, thanks to the Motilium. As a previous writer on this page said, diarrhoea is much better at getting the bug out of your system anyway. A lady in a health shop once told me, if you have a tummy bug, drink a pint of water with a tablespoon of salt dissolved in it; drink half, wait half hour, then drink the rest. Stay near the toilet! About half an hour later it'll start going though you like the clappers, but you'll soon feel better. I have tried this technique about 5 times over the past 7 years with bugs, and it always has worked. It may wash the Motilium out of your system, but the bug will be on the retreat by this time anyway so it doesn't matter.

I totally empathise with those of you paranoid about norovirus: I wouldn't actually call it a phobia - just a rational fear of an incredibly unpleasant experience.

Katnisscupcake Wed 09-Oct-13 08:11:35

Hi all,

Sorry for my late response and thank you soooo much for all the posts.

I am going to find out where I can get some Motillium, it sounds like something that dreams are made of smile.

Tallulah, I'm with you all the way there. Life becomes a constant battle beyond September. DD has just started reception and every cough/fever has me asking her 20 questions. I also have a terrible habit of texting other Mums when DD has said that their child wasn't at school, to ask in a casual way if their child is OK - luckily as it's a new school and they don't know about my phobia, they just think I'm being friendly - they don't see the visible sigh of relief I make when I find out it's a cold/fever/sore throat and nothing more sinister.

Thanks again all. I hope everyone is doing OK. x

ephemeralfairy Fri 04-Oct-13 00:04:28

Oh and I've heard about the possibility of copper as a base for a future vaccine too...I am PRAYING!!!

ephemeralfairy Fri 04-Oct-13 00:00:30

Oh tallulah me too. I am dreading the winter. Last winter was when my emetophobia really went through the roof and I know this year is going to be just as bad. My hands are already cracked and bleeding from constant washing and I feel tense all the time.
Can you get Motilium over the counter? I've never really heard of it before, but then I never knew just how many other emets there are in the world before I joined MN. It does help a bit, knowing that other people are feeling what I'm feeling smile

tallulahturtle Thu 03-Oct-13 23:15:26

Yeah thanks for the link, ive found it reassuring and dispelling a lot of things the media says. Although i will still be avoiding newspapers and watching the news soon. Does anyone else do this? I just find that they over egg talking about the N and send me into a sheer panic and i feel that N is hunting me down.
Did see something in the sun the other day that the virus cant live on brass or copper taps which gave me hope.
If i am ever lucky to witness a vaccine , it will be the greatest day of my life. I hate this shadow that comes over me every autumn. People who don't really know me probably think i have SAD .

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Tue 01-Oct-13 21:08:54

I was going to say domperidone (Motillium), it works in 2 ways.

1) It speeds up the digestive tract.

2) It works on the part of the brain that controls the vomit trigger to prevent it from working.

As others have said, vomiting is NOT actually always beneficial. If you are severely poisoned then it has its place but with stomach viruses the virus is already in your intestines when you show symptoms and the only reason it tries to make you vomit is so it can attach itself to another host. Diarrhoea is far more effective at clearing a bug from your system so I would never recommend taking Immodium when you have a bug.

I also have buccastem and it is good for the nausea I get with migraines and I like the fact that it is very fast working (due to the way it gets into your system).

MotherOfSoupDragon Tue 01-Oct-13 12:17:27

Devilinside, thanks for the link, that is very interesting and has cleared up a few things I've always worried about.

LittleMissGerardLouiseButler Mon 30-Sep-13 19:34:07

Another vote for Motilium, apparently you can use it for norovirus, my sister is an emetephobe like me and asked a doctor, you don't need to be sick with noro, it's a reaction your body has which it doesn't need apparently, so you can take it for that.

devilinside Fri 27-Sep-13 12:27:21

www.emetophobiahelp.org/norovirus.html Useful explanation, and seems vomiting is not necessary, your immune system has to eliminate the virus, whether you vomit or not.

I can vouch for Motiliium

valiumredhead Fri 27-Sep-13 11:27:18

You need to get rid of the 'badness' though, that's why you vomit. You can't keep it inside you.

Hand washing and anti bac gel is the way forward ime.

It is my understanding that vomiting is the body getting rid of toxins/bad stuff in the stomach, so is it a good thing to stop that happening, and to keep the toxins/bug in your body to do more harm?

Sophiedotty Fri 27-Sep-13 10:29:18

You can buy Motilium 10 OTC. If if is a bug though I don't know if it would stop the vomiting.

MotherOfSoupDragon Thu 26-Sep-13 12:31:07

Sorry, I don't know, but am watching with interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now