Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anxiety just not going away... Please help

(58 Posts)
CharlieBoo Tue 24-Sep-13 13:30:48

Ive been suffering from a relapse in anxiety for the last 2 and a bit weeks. I've never had anxiety like this before. It is really hard to even function at the moment.

I'm on citalopram 20mg, started for a few days on 10mg 2 weeks ago and have built up to 20mg. This has been 2 weeks also with the citalopram and its not getting any better. Do y think the dose isn't right or it not the right drug?

It's also giving me awful insomnia so I'm living with this anxiety 20 hours a day and its crippling, I just want to be back to my old self. I have a review with my dr on Thursday which can't come soon enough. I've been doing the linden method which I thought was good and was helping but it's not.

Please any tips for anxiety, I'm getting desperate.

peachypips Tue 01-Oct-13 21:31:44

Mirtazapine is another antidepressant that acts differently and is normally used to augment a normal SSRI antidepressant. It gives you wonderful sleep and slams anxiety when coupled with an SSRI. Very effective.

Helpyourself Thu 03-Oct-13 06:38:38

Morning Charlie-how's it going?

CharlieBoo Thu 03-Oct-13 09:54:57

Hi Helpyourself. Anxiety still there but at the moment am trying a new thing where I let the images come into my head, let my imagination run wild and surprisingly in that controlled environment I'm fine....it's when they pop up in the middle of an conversation with a school mum that throws me! Dd is off today as she was up for hours in the night with a really high temp and night terrors, so hardly had any sleep, but lovely to have my little girl home to hang out with. How's you? Xxx

Helpyourself Thu 03-Oct-13 14:22:01

Really good. I spoke to my manager about taking half term off as I was stressing out about working and leaving the DCs home alone- they had a very feral summer. She was very helpful and we also had a reassuring chat about parenting- at her instigation! It was bolstering as she always seems so confident and sensible but she has exactly the same anxieties as me. That thing about insides and outsides matching and us judging ourselves harshly!

Helpyourself Mon 07-Oct-13 08:23:55

Hi Charlie! How are you?

bacon Mon 07-Oct-13 11:25:13

I found ADs made my anxiety worse and you may need to find a different drug that suits you or a even a treatment.

Helpyourself Fri 11-Oct-13 08:32:05

How's it going Charlie?

dingdangdong Tue 29-Oct-13 09:21:50

Hi discussion

For what it is worth, read up about trauma (intrusive thoughts would fit that); we have found EMDR - eye movement desensitisation reprocessing in the hands of a good psychologist to be profound in rewiring responses. It is in NICE guidelines too - it works even if you do't know the original triggers. Anxiety is a symptom not the cause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now