Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

effect on child

(14 Posts)
porkpie12 Thu 19-Sep-13 11:46:28

Been really ill terrible weekend last weekend severe anxiety all over the place shaking out of control tottotally out of character i was in sheer panic on meds now feeling stronger my 15 year old witnessed some of it hubby trying to calm me down in bedroom think i was talking that i couldnt carry on hubby said dont do anything stupid son opened door and said what are you going on about i feel l like ive damaged him forever me feeling well would never be like that wouldnt even swear in front of him how will he ever see me the same again

porkpie12 Thu 19-Sep-13 18:33:31

any help feel really guilty about the last two weeks and the effect it has had on my family

HoopHopes Thu 19-Sep-13 19:47:19

I worried about this too but a psych told me that the only children that struggle are ones who do not have things explained to them. I was told that if children are spoken to at an age appropriate level and reassured it is not their fault, nothing to do with them it is ok. That is what the psych told me anyway

porkpie12 Fri 20-Sep-13 10:55:41

Feel so awful that i was acting selfishly and i have just caused a load of trouble it didnt have to be like this if i had just kept calm

HoopHopes Fri 20-Sep-13 19:59:43

But if you had an epileptic fit, a nasty fall, a vomiting but etc it would be exactly the same. And remember 1 in 4 people struggle with mental health at some point so your dc will know people as adults who have issues etc. whether an eating disorder, pnd etc.

porkpie12 Sat 21-Sep-13 13:49:50

Im ashamed and emvarrassed of the effect its had on my family now things seem clearer if i could turn back the clock the guilt is horrendous

porkpie12 Sat 21-Sep-13 15:45:21

Please help

DumDum32 Sat 21-Sep-13 15:58:11

porkiepie - are u under a Mental Health/crisis Team. can u call them? if not then ring the samaritans! they are around 24/7. I've had a hell of a week & I'm about toring them myself.

u should not worry about the effect on ur children as kids r very resilient & can get through a lot smile

porkpie12 Sat 21-Sep-13 16:57:56

Been referred to local mental health team going to phone next week for an appointment cant believe my so happy world has come crashing down in three weeks and how ive dug such a huge hole for myself

HoopHopes Sat 21-Sep-13 18:35:22

If you struggling today you can get an out of hours dr's appointment anytime as 24 hour care.

porkpie12 Sat 21-Sep-13 19:33:55

feeling a little better in myself just really guilty

tgamble13 Sat 21-Sep-13 20:46:50

ok, as one of the ladies have suggested when ur feeling stronger explain to ur son how u have been feeling and thats its nothing to do with him. children are resilient and it will have no longlasting damage he is probably just worried for you. i had an absolutely terrible childhood but was able to see the positives and making a living out of helping others deal with their problems. if things get worse for u make another gp appt and there is also lifeline ans samaritians 24/7 who also offer one to one counselling.

porkpie12 Sun 22-Sep-13 09:21:55

It was the only incident in his good childhood had a chat said hes fine doesnt even remember what we weregoing on about my mom also had a chat and said people say things they dont mean

SlightlyItchyBraStrap Sun 22-Sep-13 09:27:53

Porkpie are you safe now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now