Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Why can't I cry?

(6 Posts)
kim147 Tue 17-Sep-13 08:53:02

My grandma died last night. It was not a surprise as she was very old and had been ill some time. But I'm not upset about it. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it but it almost seems matter of fact that she's died. I do get a bit concerned about myself.

My mum died 10 years ago. Again, not a surprise as she'd been ill for a while but I felt no real emotion. I've had a really hard time for the last 5 years - but I never really felt emotion when I separated from my long term partner.

It worries me - the last time I cried was at counselling and when I failed to get a couple of jobs. So I can show emotion. But these big events such as death and separation don't seem to have affected me.

Sparklingbrook Tue 17-Sep-13 08:56:00

Are you on any ADs kim?

Sorry to hear about your Grandma.

kim147 Tue 17-Sep-13 09:08:30

Not on ADs. Just had a round of counselling and a lot of emotion came out. But things that should have upset me don't seem to as much.

It just worries me that I don't feel emotion as much as "I'm supposed to".

Sparklingbrook Tue 17-Sep-13 09:11:17

Oh right. It's just that I am on ADs and I haven't been able to cry at all since I started taking them 2 years ago. sad My GP said 'I am sure you could if you wanted to' but I really can't.

kim147 Tue 17-Sep-13 09:15:22

The only emotion I do feel is anxiety and it's very "me focussed". I should have felt some emotion on separation but I couldn't. But I cried when I didn't get a job.

Sparklingbrook Tue 17-Sep-13 10:52:37

Bit of a mystery then. Sounds like you have 'detached' slightly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now