Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Never imagined I would consider another baby after PND

(1 Post)
natsyloo Sun 15-Sep-13 20:11:47

Firstly, I want to say how utterly invaluable MN was to me when I was experiencing the horrors of PND after the arrival of DS 3 years ago. It really felt like a lifeline in the most difficult times.

For all those going through PND who genuinely think you'll never feel any different (I absolutely did not believe anyone who said there wld even be a flicker let alone a light at the end of the tunnel), I want to offer some hope. I distinctly remember feeling with every bone in my body that I cld never consider another baby. I couldn't even look after myself.

Fast forward 3 years (and there have been a lot of ups and downs, wibbles and wobbles along the way) and I am genuinely broody and optimistic about the prospect of maybe having a bro or sis for DS.

There's no silver bullet 'cure' and no easy fix. Each experience is unique, though there are similarities that can really reassure you when you feel truly lost. I've benefitted from CBT, a great network of friends, medication and more latterly found real comfort in meditation and a fundamental shift in my outlook.

It's been the toughest thing I've ever been through but rather than feeling self hatred and anger as I did in the early days I now feel a much greater sense of acceptance and view my DS as the greatest blessing (a beautiful and precious gift) who has helped me to completely re-evaluate my life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now