Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Working through "Mindfullness - finding peace in frantic world". Join me?

(120 Posts)

Hi there,

I'm recovering from a severe depression, a lot better now, but still plenty of room for improvement re: anxiety, dealing with stress, negative thinking etc and this looks like a really helpful book. There is increasing evidence that Mindfulness (and Mindfulness based cognitive therapy) is helpful in reducing your likelihood of relapsing with depression too smile

see it here

I've read the first few introductory chapters which have been v interesting and enlightening and just wondered if anyone might be interested in joining me in working through the meditation exercises?

Ideally I'd start with exercise one next week (its one each week, practised ideally 6 days out of 7) but I can be flexible wink

Thanks x.

Ok got up this morning and practised and went for a 15 min walk and it def helped improve a troubled mind this morning.

So I'm aiming to do 2 more days on chapter 5 as I havent done so well on the changing seats and mindful tooth brushing... then chapter 6 on wed.

Hope everyones ok x

Hello.

Another 10 mins this eve. I don't think it's getting any easier but am optimistically thinking my mind has been racing a little less since 8 days ago?

One more day of Ch5 I think and then will see what Ch 6 has in store.

How's everyone else doing?

Salbertina Mon 30-Sep-13 20:37:54

Well done, Colouring, you're inspiring! Sorry, all gone belly up rather. Am following thread though and tomorrow is another day!

Hi Salbertina! Thanks for posting smile see how you go tomorrow hey?!

Colourhairbarbie Tue 01-Oct-13 11:17:26

Hello everyone,
Last week I was ok and managed 1 session every day and made the 2 sessions a couple of those days. However over the weekend/yesterday I didn't do any confused
I thinking of trying to do an 8min for the next few days but continue with next chapter at the same time... but going to be flexible and see how it goes wink

Thats great stuff colour look forward to hearing what you make of ch 6.

I did one practice today. Clearing the mind does not seem to be getting any easier tho - brain as busy as ever!

samu2 Wed 02-Oct-13 19:12:41

Would this book be any good for Health Anxiety?

Hi Samu.

Good question.

From what I've read so far (only first chapter of the practical stuff), its good for helping to calm the mind and concentrating on being in the moment iykwim. Later chapters are supposed to include tools like managing an acute anxiety situation - tools I guess.

I know CBT is said to help with anxiety too.

Without any professional expertise etc I couldn't say it would def help, but I'd be surprised personally if you didn't get any benefit out of it if you were motivated to work your way through it.

Hope that's some help!

Morning all smile

Roll up roll up, chapter 6 this week: Keeping the body in mind

- looks at how connected the body and mind are, sometimes in ways you wouldn't expect, and the mindfulness exercise is a guided body scan.

Sounds useful as I know my body (stomach esp) has suffered as a result of my anxiety, and I carry quite a bit of tension around with me...

Look forward to hearing your perspective x

hoochymama1 Mon 07-Oct-13 11:23:28

Hi Ciq, I found a little taster on google books which might be useful for anyone thinking of buying. I must admit I'm tempted..grin

here

hoochymama1 Mon 07-Oct-13 11:57:34

Wow, found the prof on a you tube lecture.

here

interestingly he mentions how it can help with health anxiety, and with recurring depression- which is relevant to me. I'm going back to work soon, and I really need to learn techniques to help me with stress.
Yes, I might invest, as the audio bit seems really useful.

Love to all smile

Hi hoochy how's things?

I think you could find it helpful. I am, tho I'm not finding it easy to stay motivated!

Hi everyone,

just watched a vvv interesting programme I'd recorded. BBC Horizon with Michael Moseley investigating whether its possible to "change our mind" ie become a more positive, less anxious person,,,, and basically it seems that it is possible.

more here inc prog

He did some "Bias modification therapy" (training your brain to identify positive signals rather than negative) and mindfulness meditation for 7 weeks, and before and after tests showed his right brain activity (associated with anxiety etc) had reduced (this is in v laymans terms btw) and he felt more cheerful and his wife said he was calmer.

Anyhow this page has some of the tests and activities that he did...

I found it encouraging. It was also saying how our genes change throughout our lives - they switch on and off in response to events, environment etc.... so a cheerful person can experience a number of v stressful events and a depression gene be switched on. The scientists were saying how therefore it should be possible to switch it off again...

Interesting stuff. Hope you find it helpful..

Hello 'lo 'lo 'lo (echoey here wink)

hey ho

started chapter six - looking at the body and the mind together. Did my 15 min "Body Scan" which went ok, but was so relaxing that afterwards I fell asleep for an hour! Not quite what I had in mind, so will have to think about timing in future. Supposed to do it twice a day...

Colourhairbarbie Thu 10-Oct-13 22:52:57

Hi colouring et all
Tried to do chapter 6 last week but tbh didn't get very far only about 3 sessions over the whole week so need to knuckle down and restart it!
I do think it could/will help but finding commitment required is hard to keep up - more effort required I guess wink

cheeseandpineapple Sat 12-Oct-13 19:18:06

Hello, thanks very much for starting this thread! I'm very interested in getting the book and cd but just realised we don't have a CD player as we use iTunes now and computer is somewhere not v conducive to meditation... I couldn't find this as an app version so was wondering if anyone has come across a mindfulness app they would recommend?

Thanks very much if you can..

hoochymama1 Sun 13-Oct-13 10:14:22

Well, CiQ (much love to you, by the way) I got the book a few days ago, and am doing this first quick meditation a couple of times a day and it's been really good so far. Tried the raisin thing yesterday and it was good. It's made me think about what I do like drinking coffee and brushing teeth and savour the sensations hmm

At the moment though my life is stress free, I'm hoping to get some good habits in before work starts and my brain turns into a washing machine grin

Oo, cheese I my geeky teenager 'burned' the cd and put it somehow onto my i-pod and phone, which is much more convenient. I could send him round!

Hi everyone

hoochy great to have you here!

I have fallen off the wagon somewhat so this dropped off my I'm on list, but just found it on I'm watching and lovely to see some posts. smile

colour it is hard isn't it. Ch 6 finished me off but may try again after half term

cheese sorry not to up on apps - can yoi do as hoochy did?

Good luck all and take care z

anotherstringtomybow Tue 29-Oct-13 18:08:10

Hello, can I join?

Am half way through a mindfulness course and liking it.

I like the theory side of things which probably drives the course leader bonkers!

Hi another course you can! Its gone a bit quieter here later, but I'm planning to get started again next week when the kids are back at school. Glad to hear you're liking the course -I can imagine its v effective face to face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now