Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Working through "Mindfullness - finding peace in frantic world". Join me?

(120 Posts)

Hi there,

I'm recovering from a severe depression, a lot better now, but still plenty of room for improvement re: anxiety, dealing with stress, negative thinking etc and this looks like a really helpful book. There is increasing evidence that Mindfulness (and Mindfulness based cognitive therapy) is helpful in reducing your likelihood of relapsing with depression too smile

see it here

I've read the first few introductory chapters which have been v interesting and enlightening and just wondered if anyone might be interested in joining me in working through the meditation exercises?

Ideally I'd start with exercise one next week (its one each week, practised ideally 6 days out of 7) but I can be flexible wink

Thanks x.

everydayineveryway Fri 13-Sep-13 22:56:17

Got my book today too, really pleased - thanks so much for the recommendation. smile Ready to read. Will need encouragement to actually do any of the work, though. blush

AlteredState Fri 13-Sep-13 23:38:23

Ooh I'm excited about the plan! I did read the intro yesterday pm unfortunately it made me really anxious I'm wondering how "well" you need to be before being able to tackle it as seems a lot to do with preventing/managing relapses.

PuddingAndHotMilk Fri 13-Sep-13 23:48:13

I bought this book about 2 months ago and picked it up today thinking I should start. Saw this thread this evening, I love synchronicity envythanksenvy
If I can get up to chapter 5 for next Mon can I join in? I need the oomph to keep going I think

everydayineveryway Sat 14-Sep-13 00:06:46

I think we are holding hands for oomph, Pud.

Rummikub Sat 14-Sep-13 10:38:36

Hey pudding! I haven't started reading mine yet so we're in the same place.

I've read the book while pregnant and found it very helpful. While I still have down days, I feel much more balanced in my reactions and general mood despite little sleep since baby was born almost 5months ago

The single most important thing from the practice is that you can't do it wrong. By committing to practice you are investing in yourself. It is important to focus on the next "investment." Try not to regret perfectly normal human traits which make meditation hard. Missed a meditation oh well you can do one later. Can't do the full 40min, do 20mins. Spent the entire 40 mins mind-wandering; still counts. Start each day of the programme as new no matter what went wrong yesterday. I write this to remind myself as well!

It does help to have a friend join you.

Thanks nural that's really helpful. And glad to know it works!

Hi pudding welcome smile do join us! Yep if u can read ch 1-4 before mon 23 that would be perfect.

altered that's a good question about how well you need to be - sorry to hear ch 1 made you feel anxious. It is very enthusiastic which I know can be tough if you're not feeling well. See how you go - one chapter at a time?

Colourhairbarbie Sat 14-Sep-13 23:22:22

Hi, I suffer from anxiety but struggling since I came off meds so I got this book (after seeing op) with high hopes of taking back some control without having to go back on tablets. Anyhow if its ok I'd like to join in, il try to catch up by 23rd smile

Hi colourhair welcome! sympathies re the anxiety and really hope you find this helpful.

I'm planning to post thru next week as I re read ch 1-4...

PuddingAndHotMilk Mon 16-Sep-13 00:30:25

Thanks for the welcomes!
I read the first half of chapter 1 today and realised how much I need this as my mind was all over the place - making lists, planning things etc. I had to keep stopping and going back...
thanks so much for starting the thread thanksthanks

Thanks pudding that means a lot. I find it hard to concentrate when I'm reading stuff like this too. Well done on getting started.

working9while5 Mon 16-Sep-13 21:05:19

Ooh marking place. I like the tapes but haven't read book.

everydayineveryway Mon 16-Sep-13 22:37:52

I have managed to read the acknowledgements grin and the foreword by the famous guy. I'm a bit over-awed - life-changing...commitment...! Can I do this? But trying to remain playful and light!

deewillow Tue 17-Sep-13 19:26:59

Hello can I join you on this journey pls? I have just downloaded the kindle version and will start the reading tonight smile

Hi dee that's great.

Hope people are getting on OK.

everyday I know what you mean about the foreward - its all very enthusiastic isn't it wink. I think nural's comments upthread are really helpful in terms of getting started, and practising and accepting what you can do.

I have been exhausted all day so hope to catch up with reading later in the week!

OnaPromise Wed 18-Sep-13 07:19:31

I've read chapters 1-4. There is chocolate involved you might be pleased to know!

What's bothering me a bit is finding the time to do the exercises. But they keep saying you have to make time, and then you'll have more time and energy anyway because you won't be wasting it with anxiety. Having this thread will hopefully help.

Salbertina Wed 18-Sep-13 08:54:39

Lurking and may join you, if okay.
feel like Ive bought and then ignored every damn mindfulness book going Have dabbled with mindfulness on and off over the years, but need to catapult myself out of my apathy and gloom so should try this. Looks good, thanks OP.

Hi Salbertina great to have you.

Ona yes and I can thoroughly recommend the chocolate mediation grin

Like you say, its finding the time. But I have to say, the one time so far I've practised (with choc) I did have a productive day as my mind was clearer iykwim.

katsh Wed 18-Sep-13 10:33:28

Just bought the book on my kindle - will join you a bit late. Someone recommended this to me a few weeks ago and I hadn't got it, so thank you for encouraging me to do this.

Salbertina Wed 18-Sep-13 12:15:23

Just boyght on kindle also - at least it cant join my dusty oile on the floor!
So where are we all with chs1-4 yhen? And werk 1 of 8 werk course from mon, if I'm right?

Stupid qu but is there no audio add-on with the kindle version?(confused.com)..,

Salbertina Wed 18-Sep-13 13:26:01

Ch1 read- v interesting insight on how mind processes thro appropriate-seeming memories to match:evidence current thought...
Ch2 next!

violator Wed 18-Sep-13 14:22:40

Hello all,

I've just finished an 8-week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction course. I loved it. We were given 3 CDs with different meditations on them to practice every day.
That's the trick with mindfulness, you must do it every single day. So far I have done, thankfully my DS still naps so that's my time to do it.

I'd highly recommend a course if anyone can find one. It's just one day a week, mine was 10am-1pm. It's so helpful to chat to the facilitator and other participants.

I've just started reading Jon Kabat-Zinn's Full Catastrophe Living, so far so good.
I had very severe PND leading to hospitalisation. I've recovered but my psych was adamant I do a mindfulness course prior to tapering off the anti depressant.

PuddingAndHotMilk Wed 18-Sep-13 15:06:08

Salbertina the audio tracks can be found www.audible.co.uk/mindfulness

I've now finished Chapter 1 smile I may attempt Chapter 2 this afternoon...

Salbertina Wed 18-Sep-13 15:53:15

Thanks, Pud!

Violator - been pondering whether the courses are "worth" the significant extra outlay. Good to hear yours was so effective. What in particular? Thanks

Just read ch2 and pondering this:
"Critical rational thinking leads us to focus on gap between where we are momentarily and where "should" be.. disastrous as ends up driving thinking
...Brooding not solution but the problem...awareness of this key"

So our logical, problem-solving brain stuffs us our emotions basically!

Feel am one of those stuck in fight or flight much of the time. Anyone else? Doesn't help living in high-alert south Africa.

Hi all,

Yes Salbertina I know exactly what you mean about being stuck in fight or flight most of the time - I am too - and I live in the UK.

It's interesting re: the problem-solving brain isn't it. I am a really good problem solver irl, but sadly it doesn't seem to help with the emotional side of anxiety/depression. I am finding that I'm starting to care less about what people think of me which is great.

Well done pud any thoughts on Ch 1?

Hi katsh welcome.

violator that's really interesting to hear about the course. And great to hear you're doing a lot better. I had looked at one locally which runs for about 6-8 weeks I think costs £300 which is quite a lot for us at the mo. Useful to know that you must do it every day I think for me, working out and protecting a time slot is going to be a challenge...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now