Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Challenge from my Psychologist. Write down 3 positive things a day. Join me?

(579 Posts)
fuzzpig Thu 05-Sep-13 20:10:16

Background in brief - history of abuse and lengthy depression, self harm, lots of therapy in teens inc psych ward stay. Now suffering from CFS (also known as ME) and having CBT as part of the treatment.

So, we were talking about low self esteem, negative inner voice etc, and she suggested doing this to gradually build up evidence against these thoughts. I've done similar briefly in the past but having done a lot of psychological 'inner work' this year I feel ready to make it stick and I thought doing a thread on it would make me more likely to bother!

I'm off to watch telly with DH in a mo (Big Bang Theory 6 arrived yesterday grin) so won't be back til tomorrow but if anyone wants to do this with me then jump in! Could be stuff you've achieved, nice things that have happened etc.

Mine are:

- Had my consultation over the phone for the first time - was worried it'd feel weird but I stuck with it and found it really helpful.

- Contacted a friend to arrange a meet up while he's visiting home (I hardly ever initiate anything like that)

- Wrote in my treatment journal the same day as my session, instead of leaving it for weeks!

smile

McZeba Mon 02-Dec-13 15:20:03

Hi fsmile
May I join? I have had depression and anxiety for the past 9 years (and probably long b4 that). At present I have been feeling very level - which led to me forgetting to take my citalopram, which led to me running out - I am now into my 5th day of no meds and waiting for my script to be filled. Getting terrible withdrawal - mainly dizziness - and I can feel the bad days creeping in. This seems like a really gd way of keeping on a level xx Thanks

What would your 3 be for today McZeba? smile

Mine? Let's see .....

Had a lovely day in Cambridge yesterday especially in the autumn sunshine
Just shared some choc chip cookies with DS when he got in from school
Have rediscovered a good book "Finding Sanctuary" which was a restful read this afternoon

BigBirthdayGloom Mon 02-Dec-13 20:00:36

Hi McZeba!
Today:
Had gp appointment and she is very pleased with how I'm doing
Dd1 was really kind to ds again.
Dd2 discovered glitter!!!!

Hi McZeba - its def helping me - hope it does you.

1. Blitzed house and it looks lovely
2. Braved the bombsite that was the spare room
3. dcs made up a lovely game this evening

Wow, that's a lot for one day ColouringIn smile
I'd be pleased if I got that done in a month!

Today I ....

Got the car fixed
Had a lovely lunch of curry, yogurt, and paratha, after picking up some nice bits in our local Asian shop
Read some more of my book whilst waiting for car at garage

thanks juggling!
1. did some yoga
2. allowed myself some downtime after counselling
3. framed two of my paintings smile

BigBirthdayGloom Wed 04-Dec-13 00:29:38

Dd2 and I went t

BigBirthdayGloom Wed 04-Dec-13 00:31:39

Sorry!
Dd2 and I went to a new music class which she absolutely loved
Tidied our two main rooms
Dh is much less stressed-he's had a really tough week at work.

iMe Wed 04-Dec-13 19:52:39

1. the stress of waiting is over.
2. I realise what absolutely wonderfully fantastic a best friend I have in xxxx, after what she did for me yesterday.
3. a more restful day today.

BigBirthdayGloom Wed 04-Dec-13 22:12:27

Had a very dozy time while dd had her nap.

Ds got a sticker for lovely singing

Did the jobs is promised to do for PTA fair

Got out for a walk with my dad
Bedtime hug from ds
Not getting completely overwhelmed this afternoon

fuzzpig Wed 04-Dec-13 23:09:34

One big one today. Finally had a conversation I've needed to have at work for ages now. Not happy with outcome sad but I DID IT.

well done fuzzpig.

ok
Got out the door in a ridiculously short time today
Did a better painting at college
Cooked a yummy tea

iMe Thu 05-Dec-13 21:20:57

1. electricity stayed on despite storm & flickering lights.
2. no storm damage yet
3. got 2 more xmas presents bought, half price

fuzzpig Thu 05-Dec-13 21:22:35

Thanks CIQ smile

- had two very upsetting phonecalls (with my two therapists!) but it was useful to talk things through further and I'm proud I didn't avoid the subject of work.

- AMAZING Big Bang Theory episode today!

- DD asked me to teach her piano yesterday so I got some books out for her. Today she wanted to practise as soon as she got in and worked really hard and we played our first 'duet' (her little 4-bar piece with me accompanying). I have actually dreamed of that for years, before we even started our family, sharing music with my DCs. I have deliberately not pushed it and have waited for her to initiate it, so I am over the moon to see her so excited about the piano!

musicposy Thu 05-Dec-13 22:06:30

fuzzpig that is lovely. I used to play duets with my mum and I dreamt of doing it with the DDs because we had so much fun. DD1 has rather eschewed the piano but DD2 and I do indeed play lovely duets. We started years ago on cery simple little pieces where she only had a couple of notes too; now she's Grade 7 and we can tackle most things together, often to great hilarity. It's a great joy - you'll have many happy hours ahead smile

-DD2 had ballet and harp exam both in one day, the ballet in London (aaagh!) but it all went off very smoothly.

-DH has been trying to get NYE off for months - his work won't usually allow holiday over the Christmas period - and they finally agreed it-yay!

-we are going to Edinburgh for said NYE and I can't wait!

BrittleStick Thu 05-Dec-13 22:11:18

Can I join in a bit too? I'm sort of "recovered" (haha) from the worst of my depression and anxiety etc but having a bit of a stressful time, which makes everything seem worse. Could use some positive thinking.

1. Got to walk outside in awesome wind while wearing my favourite coat and boots.
2. I have chocolate and cinnamon covered almonds...
3. DH rubbed my feet while we watched Big Bang Theory together. grin

So glad your dd is enjoying playing the piano with you fuzzpig - that sounds lovely smile
NYE in Edinburgh will be good music fenvy fgrin

Mine for today ....
1. Have been inspired to watch tributes to Mandela last night and this morning - what a very lovely person he was.
"I'm not a saint .... unless you think a saint is a sinner who keeps on trying" thanks
2. dd is starting some voluntary work at the weekend - just what she wanted to do, and with a good friend - towards her DofE award
3. Feeling more settled after a very busy couple of weeks, and looking forward to the weekend now.

BigBirthdayGloom Fri 06-Dec-13 19:41:48

Oh, I love, love, love that Mandela quote.
Today:
Saw the must beautiful sunset while dd and ds played on our street

Got order back to some more bits of our house-enough that I could invite someone round on a whim (ie upstairs not so great!)

Cleared away supper before dc bedtime so I can go down to a clear room. This has not happened for m

BigBirthdayGloom Fri 06-Dec-13 19:43:02

Months and months (sorry-seem to be desperate to tap post!)

I really think I'm making inroads on this depression thing. Please!

iMe Fri 06-Dec-13 20:14:59

1. got lots of jobs ticked off my to do list despite a thumping sore head.
2. lovely watching DH and DCs have fun putting up the Christmas tee together.
3. I was on the receiving end of a random act of kindness, a stranger gave me her pay and display car parking ticket which still had plenty of time left on it.

BrittleStick Fri 06-Dec-13 23:33:08

Many of these are so nice. Making me feel better just reading.
Not had a great day, but let's see...

- There's some really funny stuff in MN Classics.
- I've eaten pretty healthily.
- Ummm... I gave my cat some fresh catnip and she's been hilarious with it.

JugglingUnwiselyWithBaubles Sun 08-Dec-13 17:22:37

Today's been a bit busy but that should give me 3 easy things, let's see ....

1. dd enjoyed her first day of voluntary work with her friend - and we found the way there and back without getting lost thanks to SatNav

2. A nice Christmassy time with friends at our Meeting House

3. DH surprised me by tidying up kitchen and said "it was nothing"

4. Going out with other friends this evening (for hot chocolate and to listen to a band) and will be a chance to catch up with another friend I've not seen for a while

Must check DC's and homework situation first though, and maybe think about supper - or leave it to DH?

iMe Sun 08-Dec-13 21:52:29

1. lunch with friends.
2. DCs well behaved there and had good fun with the other kids.
3 DH made packed lunches because I forgot, oops

1. Good night out Friday fwink
2. Good day out for DH birthday yesterday smile
3. Stuff I was responsible for at School Fayre went well today fgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now