Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

very panicky can't calm down

(33 Posts)
ayalil Sun 25-Aug-13 20:38:07

I am at home and feeling like i can't really breathe which I know is stupid but I am struggling to breathe properly
feel very dizzy and panicked
i think i'm just asking for some hand holding, i am so scared

LEMisdisappointed Mon 26-Aug-13 09:30:06

Ayalil i hope you got some sleep last night and are feeling better this morning.

I think now is a good time to reach out and ask for help. It sounds like you are looking after two elderly/infirm parents and have a baby on the way. Sweetheart, you are not superwoman, you cannot do this on your own. That is not a disaster though - there is help out there. The first step is your doctor, becaue they will be able to help you directly and put you in touch with agencies to help your parents. We had to put my dad into a care home becuse he had alzheimers and my mum couldn't cope with him, he needed professional care - it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do but we couldn't provide the care he needed. I don't know what you are facing but please know that you don't have to do this alone.

Today is a new day, you had a scary time last night and its horrid, i had some awful panic attacks when i was pregnant, recognising that they are a physical thing helped me overcome them.

AlisonL1981 Mon 26-Aug-13 00:42:35

I hope your ok. Try and sleep. Thats where I'm off to before my 5 month old decides he needs feeding. If you need to talk you can call the Samaritans. I used to email them as I found typing was easier than talking. I found writing stuff down loed and they responded pretty quickly. Take care xxx

AlisonL1981 Mon 26-Aug-13 00:26:05

Where are you now? Do you still hurt? X

ayalil Mon 26-Aug-13 00:24:03

I can't talk I can't move
I don't think I could dial

AlisonL1981 Mon 26-Aug-13 00:23:13

Hi sweetheart, Did you call the Samaritans? I just saw your post. I'm not very good with words but didnt want you to think you are on your own. Call the number. They will help you xx

ayalil Mon 26-Aug-13 00:06:59

And I don't want to be here anymore I can only think about ending it

ayalil Sun 25-Aug-13 22:23:47

its not getting better im scared

ayalil Sun 25-Aug-13 22:19:36

thank you Lem you're so lovely x

LEMisdisappointed Sun 25-Aug-13 21:56:26

Please stop saying sorry - ive been there, with the anxiety and its shit, but it does get easier. You sound like such a lovely person - take care of yourself for a change, yes? make that call x

LEMisdisappointed Sun 25-Aug-13 21:55:11

It will pass, you are not stupid, you don't have to deal with anything right now - you are pregnant and your hormones will be off kilter, that may be all it is right now, give the samaritans a ring as they can talk to you in real time and get you through this xx

Feel free to pm me at any time, i am shattered though and will have to go to bed soon, although there are lots of other folk around to chat x

ayalil Sun 25-Aug-13 21:54:06

Thank you
I'm sorry

LEMisdisappointed Sun 25-Aug-13 21:52:55

08457 90 90 90

This is the number of the samaritans (if you are in the UK), they can talk to you if you need to talk to someone right now.

ayalil Sun 25-Aug-13 21:50:50

I am doing breathing counting
I am trying with the stars
I don't want to deal with this
I can't stop being so stupid I hate it

LEMisdisappointed Sun 25-Aug-13 21:48:16

Ok, and it will pass again

We can get over tonight, don't think about your problems for the minute - just concentrate on the stars, can you count them? make pictures in the sky like a dot-to-dot?

ayalil Sun 25-Aug-13 21:39:07

There is lots of back story but I haven't got a partner, and sisters help sometimes but not much
The breathing was getting better but it's getting worse again

LEMisdisappointed Sun 25-Aug-13 21:36:41

You sound like you are under a lot of pressure. Do you have a partner? is he suppportive? Are you getting any support with caring for your parents?

You are pregnant and you have to start taking some time in the day to look after yourself - even if its just half hour in the bath.

ayalil Sun 25-Aug-13 21:24:10

They are here dad is not really able to talk mum is tired
I am looking at the stars I can see a few
I can't stop crying I feel so lost
I don't want to do it anymore

LEMisdisappointed Sun 25-Aug-13 21:22:06

are your parents around? can you talk to them (just to take your mind off things?)

can you give yourself a foot massage? bath? Go and stand by the back door and look at the stars? see if you can count them, alshtough looking out there window here, i cant see any

ayalil Sun 25-Aug-13 21:12:15

Been very stressed for a while now loads going on but this feels like it came out of nothing i haven't really done anything today
It won't calm down and I hate crying it's making it 10x worse
so scared sad
thank u for being here x

LEMisdisappointed Sun 25-Aug-13 21:10:31

It all sounds like classic anxiety attack. It WILL pass, these things tend to be self regulating, your body just simply cannot produce enough adrenalin to carry it on - at least thats what my therapist tells me grin

Is tere anything that has bought this on or has it come on out of the blue - mine tend to just jump out on me but there is usually something at the bottom of it.

ayalil Sun 25-Aug-13 21:05:06

I've never heard of that i will try it thank you

Mindfullness Sun 25-Aug-13 21:04:31

Can you find a meditation app or something online? I find meditation really helpful when I feel like you are. Poor you, it really is so scary sad

ayalil Sun 25-Aug-13 20:57:47

my chest hurts a little bit
my head is hurting i feel dizzy and terrified
i'm trying all the breathing stuff

LEMisdisappointed Sun 25-Aug-13 20:56:11

You are not being stupid at all - its an anxiety attack, and it is bloody horrible and scary and frightening, but sometimes you just have to go with it and let it happen. I used to have to put my head into the corner of the sofa when i had them - im on medication now so thankfully few and far between.

where does it hurt?

ayalil Sun 25-Aug-13 20:53:43

It hurts
I'm sorry im being so stupid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now