Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Coming off anti depressants

(6 Posts)
Tiggy23 Fri 23-Aug-13 17:40:09

I have a 2 year little girl and my partner wanted to try for another child meaning I had to come off my tablets (was also taking the pill to control hormones) I've found it really tough and have just given in and taken my tablets again. I feel awful. Anyone else been through it? X

Organisedinacrisis Fri 23-Aug-13 17:53:52

My little boy is now nearly four and i was in the same position as you when he was your dds age. I had tried and failed to give up the anti depressants twice and though I would be on them for life. A year and a half later and They are now a distant memory. I think I had tried to come off them before I was ready the first two times. It was much easier the third. I was meticulous about cutting down slowly though. First I took a half dose for three weeks then a half dose every other day for three weeks then once every three days for three weeks. By the end of that I had convinced myself that having a half dose once every three days couldn't be having hat much effect and was therefore ale to give up entirely.
Hope this helps!

Tiggy23 Fri 23-Aug-13 18:12:14

Thank you I'm just obviously not ready yet :/

HoopHopes Fri 23-Aug-13 19:51:08

There are some tablets that are seen by dr's as safe for conception and pregnancy so if you do not want to wait you can ask to be switched to one of them. Such as citalopram and sertraline.

Tiggy23 Fri 23-Aug-13 22:25:05

Citalopram is the one I have just come off but I will ask my dr about sertraline as I would love another child but am not ready to come of the tablets.

HoopHopes Fri 23-Aug-13 23:12:23

I know people who have taken citalopram throughout pregnancy with dr's recommendation so hope talking to your gp helps. If gp unsure s/he can always phone up a peri natal psychiatrist for their advice before advisin group what to do; that is what my gp did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now