Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Insomnia - is it better to stay awake than have say an hour's sleep?

(9 Posts)
mirai Wed 21-Aug-13 23:37:15

Hi all!

Well I managed to get to bed a little earlier last night, but I have still got the problem of the racing mind, how can I stop it?

I think about things I have to do the next day, the next week, then I worry about things that I have no need worrying about today or never! As an example, I am a teacher, last night I am lying there at 1am worrying about whether or not when I'm 7/8 months pregnant I'll still have the energy to keep up with my job and play with the kids etc. A valid worry maybe except I'm not even bloody pregnant yet and probably won't be til next year!!!!!

Help! smile

Lemsy Tue 20-Aug-13 20:46:23

You should honour your own body clock especially as it sounds as though you really need your kip at the moment. Once the racing mind starts it's hard to switch off until exhaustion sets it. Explain to your DH and ask him to be quiet if he comes to bed later than you!

I used to get chronic sinusitis because of lack of sleep which has cleared up once sleep was sorted.

Go to bed at 10pm!

mirai Tue 20-Aug-13 00:48:14

Why am I not sleeping... This is going to sound really silly but it's my own fault.

DH has been working longer hours recently, when it gets to around 10 I say I'm off to bed, but DH always says it's too early and "let's just do the crossword" or something, I say ok because else I barely see him!

So by the time we go to bed at say 12, he falls asleep as soon as his head touches the pillow, whereas I've sort of gone "over tired", can't nod off and lie there awake til about 2! Which I know is utterly ridiculous and I need to say to him, sorry but I must go to bed.

I think the last few weeks has really snowballed because I've had a lot on my plate with work and personal life and I lie awake sorting through everything making sure I haven't forgotten anything for the next day, the usual stuff.

Being so tired as well is making me run down I've been getting lots of ailments like conjunctivitis etc that I only get when i'm run down. I need to just say to myself 10pm is bedtime and GO!!!

Crawling Tue 20-Aug-13 00:00:16

I would also go for no sleep sorry your suffering so bad.

whippinpiccadilly Mon 19-Aug-13 23:58:18

I think no sleep in this case. For me its better to stay awake than wake up from a much needed sleep.

Buts that me. I expect everyone is different.

mirai Mon 19-Aug-13 23:55:00

I've had about half an hour sad

There's no way I can cancel work today as I have a really important meeting.

Will write more later but have to go and have shower now sad

Thanks for your replies.

Lemsy Mon 19-Aug-13 22:12:04

Hi op,

As a fellow insomniac i really feel for you. Tbh, no sleep or one hours sleep won't be that different. Why are you not sleeping? Are you stressed or going through a bad time? There is help out there, you don't have to suffer. The more you worry about not sleeping the worse it becomes but the cycle can be broken.

You have my sympathy...

CaptainSweatPants Mon 19-Aug-13 21:13:24

My mum always said it's better to lie there with your eyes closed because at least your body is resting & who knows you might drop off

If you've got work in the morning could you phone in sick? You must be exhausted sad

mirai Mon 19-Aug-13 20:49:04

Please help, I'm at my wit's end. I haven't been sleeping properly for about three weeks now.

I'm not in the UK, right now it's nearly 5am and light, and I have to be up at 7am.

My question is would it just be better to stay awake now so hopefully I'll be so tired 'tomorrow' that I'll drop off at 10pm?? <lives in hope emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now