Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

"Contemplating suicide" continued

(37 Posts)
BengalTiger Fri 16-Aug-13 18:21:31

The first thread I made is about to be shut down cause it's gonna exceed maximum posts allowed. So I made this one.

Openyourheart Sat 17-Aug-13 22:45:16

I'm not saying that hospitalisation is the right thing now. I don't know what the right thing is because I don't know the full circumstances and neither does anyone else on here. What I do know is if someone is a risk to themselves then full on medical intervention is a conventional way of treating the problem.

Drugs do take time to work but how long do you think you should wait? There are different medications and strengths of medication to try. I am not being depressing. I am trying to offer positive and useful practical advice.

By the way, I know plenty about depression.

Openyourheart Sat 17-Aug-13 22:52:40

Also, a good treatment for depression is cognitive behavioural therapy. This is available on the NHS.
So, I'm not necessarily talking about being put in hospital but seeking appropriate and conventional treatment that works.

cjel Sat 17-Aug-13 23:07:19

He is, he has counselling. His depression is reactive. He has more that he wants to work out than CBT is capable of at the moment. Have you read his thread?

Openyourheart Sat 17-Aug-13 23:11:19

Yes, I have read it all Cjel.

Openyourheart Sat 17-Aug-13 23:20:38

BT - I hope I haven't worried you and I sincerely apologise if anything that I said was frightening. All I want is for any young person with depression to be treated appropriately and because you have not really given much information about what is going on in that respect, I am concerned that you are not receiving the care that you are entitled to. There are options available on the NHS which you might find beneficial.
No harm in taking advantage smile

working9while5 Sun 18-Aug-13 08:28:56

Lets not get into a bunfight. Lots of ways to skin a cat. Many people have got through this in many different ways. Medical treatment is a godsend for some but not always a magic bullet. I am also going to go ahead and say I personally am eternally grateful I wasnt hospitalized in BTs situation. They can be miserable places and though they are right for the severely ill and at risk, they are never without their downsides.

I remember being in BTs shoes like it were yesterday. This depression isn't just some chemical reaction to random brain events. It is a normal and understandable
reaction to trauma.

I personally feel that there isn't enough focus ever on how support, listening and people really giving a shit about you and making the effort to understand is at least as important if not more so than conventional treatment. I have had two serious blips in my life.. the first at BTs age and the second was postnatal... and though I had medication and therapy second time round it was still ultimately reaching out and talking to others and getting a wide range of real life things in place that made the difference. Stupid things like joining a debating society and the school choir and listening to music and reading were every bit as important as any therapy.

I don't really get why people have got to a stage where only paid professional help has any value. I think it is bloody brilliant its there and my own therapy was very helpful this time but getting over depression took a while both with and without this conventional treatment. You have to go through it in some ways. I think BT you are actually doing so much of what you need to do... counseling.. doing things and setting targets to get out of the mire.. reaching out to others and especially to adults with experience of getting through. This absolutely was so important for me in your situation.

BT I thought of you while putting my ds to bed last night. You know you were saying you cant imagine being 30, 40 whatever. Well it struck me I can't imagine my little boy ever being 16 like you (he is 3 now and I have a 1 year old too). I wonder if anyone ever can wrap their heads round the passage of time. I think this is why when you are really low you cannot imagine ever really being out of it. Its similar to when you have the flu and you can't remember ever being well or imagine ever getting better... but somehow one day it just lifts and then though you remember feeling fluey it just doesn't quite seem anything like as bad as when you were in the middle of it.

mummylin Sun 18-Aug-13 19:55:12

In my thoughts BT

BengalTiger Sun 18-Aug-13 20:01:49

I'm gonna take a break from this site for a lil while. At the moment I just feel like I need to be alone and deal with this. Thanks to everyone who has offered loads of great advice. I mean that.

Hope you all stay well.

cjel Sun 18-Aug-13 20:04:07

Hey BT, Glad you are thinking of yourself. Hope to catch up again soon, and hear how your writing is going and all those strange games I don't understand. Look after yourselfx

Apileofballyhoo Sun 18-Aug-13 21:36:05

I'll pray for you every day BT.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sun 18-Aug-13 23:25:59

BT I don't pray but I really wish you all the very best.

I do believe you are special and that you have a gift.

You've inspired some pretty heavy duty people here to stick with you and try to help, that's no mean feat.

It occurred to me just now that all successful writers have had demons to deal with, it makes sense.

Those people who have uneventful, satisfactory, ordinary lives, don't really have much to write about that would interest many other people.

You must have writers that you admire. Check out their life stories. I bet you every single one has had big mountains to climb to overcome some difficulty in their life. And when they reach the summit they write something that amazes and enriches the rest of us.

I really think you could be one of those people.

Please.

flowers

CatsAndTheirPizza Wed 21-Aug-13 13:26:34

BT just in case you check in on us sometimes - I wanted to say that I hope you get the results you are looking for tomorrow. Hoping things are OK. cake[pizza]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now