Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anxious about driving long distances.

(8 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Thu 01-Aug-13 20:24:02

I am quite anxious at the moment. I'd love to drive down to Dorset with dd (2 hours)but I am too fricking nervous! Is this normal? I am ok with routes that I know but bad with routes I don't know and worse with dd in the car.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

superstarheartbreaker Thu 01-Aug-13 20:52:46

All of the above! I have just started citralopram so I think I will wait a few days until I feel better!

RobotHamster Thu 01-Aug-13 20:58:38

What route are you taking? Maybe if someone could help you with any particular areas that are more complicated, or certain things to look out for with regards to junctions etc, would that help?

What helps me is a cheat sheet with the route clearly written so I can refer to it easily while driving
(just the road numbers and junctions)

If I'm going somewhere completely new I look at parts of the route on Google streetview as well, so I know what the difficult bits will look like.

All about being as prepared as possible really.

Hth

cakebar Thu 01-Aug-13 20:58:48

I think it's normal. It helps me to plan A LOT. I look at routes and use google earth to have an actual look at where I'm going and where I'm going to park. I take lots of stuff like rain coats and drinks. I think the hardest part is getting in the car and actually starting the journey.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OverTheFieldsAndFarAway Thu 01-Aug-13 21:03:38

Could you mentally break the journey into shorter distances, as in we are going from A to B first, then onto C. When we get to D we won't have far to go until we reach X. It might not seem like such a huge task then.

runningonwillpower Thu 01-Aug-13 21:06:38

I too am anxious but as others say, it helps to plan. Like plan every detail.

But oddly, I often find that I'm better when I actually undertake the journey. All the anxiety is in my head and the reality - once prepared - is never that bad.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now