Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is there a Pharmacist or Doctor that can help with this ...

(6 Posts)
Freudianslap Sun 04-Aug-13 19:25:58

Research for st johns is varied, it has a weak activities which effect serotonin and noradrenaline - this is what most ADs work on. I would advise considering a low dose AD instead.

Also be aware that st johns can interact with lots of prescribed medication including the oral contraceptive and things like warfarin so if you're on any other meds it would be sensible to check with your GP...

LEMisdisappointed Sat 03-Aug-13 17:35:25

Also be aware that it is not recommended to take St Johns wort 2 weeks before or after SSRI medication so if you take it and it doesn't work, you will delay getting the medication with may well work.

LEMisdisappointed Sat 03-Aug-13 17:30:52

I wouldn't take it - it may well have some affect on the seratonin system but not in a way that the body will be able to restore the balance which is the aim of most SSRI anti depressants. Also, the dosage will be vague, there will be other things in it, unlike ADs that have been synthesised to only have the active ingredient along with carriers. You are better off seeing your doctor and if you are wanting to take a natural approach, which is often better for people anyway, look into exercise therapy and counselling. xx

As clarella says there is more than on AD of this type, some suit people better than others. Seroxat isn't the drug of choice these days. I take citalopram - works for me, few, if any side effects that i am aware of.

Clarella Sat 03-Aug-13 17:23:08

in all honesty I would pop to the doctor and try a low dose of an ad or beta lockers or something similar. I was on seroxat years ago and it was awful for me. when I finally came off but was still down I tried st johns wort. I was rather shocked to experience similar side effects (electric shocks) - so, it does have an effect however I personally wouldn't trust self medicating.

I've resisted ads for years due to the experience but I'm pleasantly surprised at how sertraline is working. and starting to wish I'd tried it sooner rather than struggling on.

theWookiesWife Fri 02-Aug-13 08:59:17

hi - that's so confusing !! why not pop along go the chemist this morning and ask ? it's a good step that you are taking - but you might be better off going to you GP to see if they can offer you something more regulated ?!
I found exercise really helped me when I was going through a bad time - and yes... I 'poo pood ' it when anyone every suggested it to me too - but I started walking - got a rescue dog (who loves me unconditionally and doesn't answer back ) - and now I walk him every day for an hour - sometime twice ! and sometimes I run - just in bursts to begin with - but it REALLY DOES make me feel so much better ! if you can fit something like this into your life - you may find you won't need the StJohns Wort afterall ?!
best if luck to you !:-)

RunningWithSharpScissors Thu 01-Aug-13 17:46:00

I've started taking St Johns Wort for depression, but am confused about the dosage. In my other thread here nulliusInBlurba says that the recommended dose prescribed in Germany is 900mg per day. However, in this article here its basically saying that the amount of hypericum contained in a tablet can vary.

The leaflet for my tablets says this "Each film-coated tablet of this product contains 250mg of extract (as dry extract) from St John's Wort aerial parts (Hypericum perforatum L.) (3.5-6:1) (equivalent to 875-1500mg of St John's Wort). Extraction solvent: Ethanol 60% v/v."

The pack also says not to exceed the stated does of 1x250mg tablet per day (however it also says not to be used if you are depressed ??? ).
So although I started taking 3 a day, I'm not sure if this is wildly too much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now