Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

OCD, anxiety .... Help

(2 Posts)
num3onway Tue 30-Jul-13 07:34:22

My partner and I recently seperated and I am feeling unsafe in my house at bed time. I am fine until right before I go to bed
Then I start obsessively checking locks checking the oven is off over and over again
Last night I found myself thinking of how I would get my children down the stairs and out of the house if it was on fire
Will this pass?
I am btw checking locks etc up to 20 times each

MissTweed Tue 30-Jul-13 07:47:21

I am an OCD sufferer a and do exactly the same 'checks' as you especially when stressed. I found it helpful to write (or print off) a list of the things you check then when you've checked each one tick it off. Take this piece of paper to bed with you to reassure you that you have already checked all the bits! I know this will sound mad to other (non OCD) people but I understand how annoying it is lying in bed thinking "did I check the oven?" Even when you know you did!! My first list started with each knob on the oven etc being listed seperetly then eventually got it down to just 'oven'.
Hope this helpssmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now