Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do you cope with being drowsy/tired all the time with young kids.

(9 Posts)
ItWasLightCreamCheese Tue 30-Jul-13 10:49:40

The drowsiness does lessen in time. I take a moderate dose of mood stabiliser and a low dose of an AD and, after eight months on this combo my energy levels are comparable to 'the norm' I think. The first three months are absolutely the hardest.

Crawling Tue 30-Jul-13 10:22:18

Thanks all I guess caffeine is my new best friend.

mawbroon Mon 29-Jul-13 21:50:49

Hang in there Crawling, it took about 3 months or so for me to stop feeling wiped out, but gradually I realised that I wasn't so bad. I still can't really handle late nights, but perhaps that's because I'm getting old LOL

AlteredState Mon 29-Jul-13 21:08:16

Chocolate and caffeine and that's with one child (6yo). Couldn't cope with more than that. One of the reasons I refused quetiapine was fear of being more drowsy/tired (other reason was fear of weight gain). Weekends and school hols can be hard.

Crawling Mon 29-Jul-13 15:47:21

Sorry just to make it clear as my phone didn't put a comma in I have 3 dc one is 7 dc2 is 4 and dc3 is 20 months

Crawling Mon 29-Jul-13 15:43:18

I have been on these meds 2 months and my dc are 7 4 but she has asd and is unable to attend school atm and a 20 month old.

Mirages Mon 29-Jul-13 15:32:55

loads of coffee, I will do things when I have energy, bad days just take it easy.

(at the moment luckily taking an activating antipsychotic along my other meds)

mawbroon Mon 29-Jul-13 15:26:41

How old are your DC?

I've been there. DS1 is 7yo and at school, not just now obviously. And my HV put me in touch with the Children's centre where ds2 (3yo) was given a place 2 days a week. When I relapsed at the end of last year, they took him 5 days.

I could not have coped without this, it has been a life saver.

I am now really well after changing anti psychotics in February and am loving having them around during the holidays.

How long have you been on these particular meds? I did find that I was wiped out when I changed to Quetiapine, but now seem pretty used to it.

Crawling Mon 29-Jul-13 15:19:09

I take anti pychotics and a mood stabilised and I'm constantly tired. How do other mums cope?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now