Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Right you lot - a thread to see if exercise can help us. Who's in?

(62 Posts)
Stripedmum Fri 19-Jul-13 19:04:35

I'm off out for a run. And i'm going to go out for 30 mins minimum EVERY DAY. Who is going to buddy up and check I've done it?

If there is even a chance it can get me out of this fucking weird and awful hole I've sunk into then it's worth a shot.

Anyone else?

Hi striped how did you get on today?
I am struggling to fit it in with DCs now on school hols so haven't managed anything today hmm. It should be easier after next week when DH is around more... found loads of yoga videos on youtube so planning to work through some of those - will be nice to have some variety and see what I like...

Stripedmum Sat 27-Jul-13 19:07:34

Oh dear...two days, no run, glass of wine in hand! Whoops! I need to get back on the wagon.

How is everyone else doing?

I have failed to any exercise since Tuesday sad angry haven't worked out how to fit it in with kids at home... no chance tomorrow as out for the day, or Mon. So Tuesday! I will do something energetic Tuesday!

Wine sounds vvv good...

Stripedmum Mon 29-Jul-13 20:51:55

Oh dear. Our exercise thread is dying and I'm in more need than ever! Back out tomorrow. What about you gals?

Yoga tomorrow morning. No excuse as kids are out! Feeling knackered though! Good luck tomorrow!

30 mins yoga done! Found a good video on you tube so will definitely do that again. How about you stripey?

Stripey where are you? Done 50 mins yoga and feel taller and calmer for it - video on you tube if you want a change from running!

Stripedmum Wed 31-Jul-13 20:08:04

Ha! Hiya! I've done me 5.5k tonight. I'm not in a good place but it does make me think 'if I can achieve this then I can't be totally broken if that makes sense?"

I've dug out Yoga for Dummies!! It's an old Christmas present I'd totally forgotten about and surely will be better than the pregnancy yoga DVD (my DD is four months!).

Did you try ADs Colouring? I can't remember.

Well done striped! You're right about it being positive that you are managing to run despite not being in a good place today. Try and be kind to yourself.

Yes I've been on fluoxetine 40mg and trazodone since Feb and they have definately helped. Also paying for counselling and do believe there's a seasonal thing going on to. But basically I burnt out in Jan after a tough 18 months.

discolatte Thu 01-Aug-13 19:54:33

Getting out to a class once a week is a boost not just for the exercise but for the change of environment and interacting with others. Even a tiny bit at beginning and end. Yoga especially is more therapeutic when taught in person because they guide you through it kindly (if it's a gentle class, not high impact) and do deep relax at end, helps sleep.

Stripedmum Fri 02-Aug-13 23:00:27

Well another 5k after a pretty much disaster day in terms of anxiety/depression and my God it really did boost me. I have much clearer thinking patterns as a result tonight - and feel 'normal' which is a real luxury. A stark contrast to today.

Has any of you lovely lot tried this on a long term basis - I.e. 30 mins, every night for three months? I've read that this is what it takes to really make a difference when you're trying to use exercise as a treatment as effective as ADs.

As I've been really poorly I'm giving it a week before I try the ADs...

Well done striped and brilliant you saw the benefit. I have been doing exercise most days for last 3 weeks and i think it's helping. Off camping now take care

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now