Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Citalopram wearing off?

(45 Posts)
Lonelybunny Wed 17-Jul-13 20:50:26

I've been on 10 mg for a couple if months for health anxiety . I was starting to feel great other then a bit zombied out and sometimes frustrated but overall a lot calmer. I can feel my anxiety trying to push through again but the thing is because it's health anxiety I don't know if I'm being silly or if there is something wrong :-/

MagicBaguette Wed 24-Jul-13 10:03:45

I hope the increases dose works for you.

Counselling/CBT will help you change your way of thinking to a more positive outlook smile

Well done for getting yourself on the road to recovery - that in itself is a massive step which you need to give yourself a lot of credit for.

flowers

Lonelybunny Wed 24-Jul-13 10:10:37

Hey sparkling that's exactly what I'm doing , feeding my anxiety , I really hope counselling will stop that. Thank you magic , I had to get help for the sake off kids. Not much fun for them me doing nothing but fixating on my health anxiety . I'm feeling better already on the 20 mg just hope I don't pile on weight :-/

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Jul-13 10:22:03

Yes, I think the counselling made me think of the anxiety as something I was 'feeding'. Having to be permanently anxious because your brain is looking for it is bloody exhausting. sad

Really be careful re the weight. My GP said that Citalopram interferes with your 'feeling full' response. ie you don't. Watch the nibbling and picking and portion sizes.

Eventually the Citalopram made me very brave too. Driving round cities-no problem, taking stuff back to shops-fine. Normal but braver. smile

Stripedmum Wed 24-Jul-13 11:15:56

That's really positive Sparkling. Also I do worry when I'm not worrying! So very good description.

Lonelybunny Wed 24-Jul-13 11:18:25

Thanks a lot , I think I've put weight on already , although citalopram is sometimes used for binge eating , I just hope I feel better soon smile

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Jul-13 11:22:16

yes striped. Worrying about not having anything to worry about. it's a vicious circle. But her words really struck a chord that I maybe I do have a bit of control of what I need to be anxious about and what I don't.

Lonelybunny Wed 24-Jul-13 11:54:54

That's me too ! I worry about not worrying about anything sad I always think there should be something sad

MagicBaguette Wed 24-Jul-13 12:54:55

I've been on citalopram a month and haven't put on any weight.

So you may not smile

Even if you do, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things as long as your anxiety and general outlook is improved!

Trust me, it will be worth it.

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Jul-13 13:01:10

The weight gain crept up on me TBH. It took quite a while....

Lonelybunny Wed 24-Jul-13 13:23:57

Well I'm a size 18 as it is :-/ but I need my head sorted , I will just cut back what I eat , hoping the kids being off jeans we are all more active so I will forget to eat ? Wishful thinking maybe ? I've been on it about 2. Months now and I've gained about 4lbs :0 but we have been having a few BBQ, and beers etc and my LO is reducing her breastfeeds now

Lonelybunny Wed 24-Jul-13 13:24:32

Off jeans ???? Off school lol

Sparklingbrook Wed 24-Jul-13 13:30:03

I would rather be a bit overweight but my brain feel right IYKWIM. smile

Lonelybunny Wed 24-Jul-13 15:15:38

Exactly ! I don't mind a few pounds but some of the stories I've read are like 2-3 stone shock

MagicBaguette Wed 24-Jul-13 18:44:47

Hey! Lonelybunny!

What did we talk about earlier?! grin

This is a great example of us finding things to be anxious about, and using Google to try to prove and rationalise our fears.

Yes, there are stories on the Internet of people putting on lots of weight and having lots of other bad side effects on SSRIs.

But think about it. There are thousands and thousands of people taking citalopram and other ssris.

Only the people with major problems with it are posting on the Internet about it. Those with no problems (the absolute vast majority) are much too busy getting on with their new and improved lives to be posting about their great experiences with the drugs!

So, check yourself. Be aware of what it is that's your main problem with your anxiety. You managed to pick it out earlier - you always feel as though you NEED to be anxious, and look for things. Learn to accept this, rise above it and see it from the outside. The point in taking the citalopram is to slow the thoughts in your head by removing some of your anxiety, giving you the ability to rationalise your thoughts much more easily.

Does it matter if you put on a bit of weight? In the bigger scheme of things, no, not at all, as the advantage of being able to overcome your anxiety. And it is DEFINITELY worth it.

You are aware of how you can prevent this happening. There's no point in worrying about it, you just have to act on it.

Say you do put on weight (worst case scenario). You are perfectly well equipped to deal with that. You know what you need to do. Decrease portion size, be aware of snacking, exercise.

Stay strong. The light at the end of the tunnel is approaching!

Lonelybunny Wed 24-Jul-13 20:16:59

You have totally hit the nail on the head ! I'm going to watch what i eat and stay away from google ! Here's to the future and may it be a happy one smile

MagicBaguette Wed 24-Jul-13 20:20:26

Much better attitude smile

(It's quite therapeutic for me to write advice to others, in talking i get things clearer in my own head, so I'm sorry if I ramble!)

Lonelybunny Wed 24-Jul-13 20:59:18

No please , it's really put it all into perspective for me , I'm looking forward to getting counselling too , so I can be more positive about things smile thanks for the chat , it's really opened my eyes

MagicBaguette Wed 24-Jul-13 21:27:27

Me too! I have another 2 months to wait before I start CBT, but have done some reading around and there are lots of great resources on the Internet (a good way to use google...!)

It seems as though really, from what I've read, the positive thinking is the best way to get out of the 'anxiety black hole'. It's hard, but I know we'll get there eventually.

I know that a combination of medication and talking therapy has the best results, so I'm optimistic we'll both be feeling much better in the near future!

Lonelybunny Wed 24-Jul-13 21:30:51

I think they run alongside well together , I'm not being refered till 2 weeks time but looking forward to it , I hope it goes well for you , despite my health anxiety I love to chat so I should enjoy the counselling smile

Lonelybunny Thu 25-Jul-13 20:07:48

Wow don't know if it because I've upped my dose but I was super mad today sad just felt like screaming at everyone I was so ratty sad anyone else had this ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now