Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Please can anyone offer advice re DH's neice?

(5 Posts)
Crawling Wed 17-Jul-13 19:07:13

I was psychotic as a teenager and had severe mood swings. I was admitted first for a month at age 15. My advice is just listen and don't be scared of her treat her like anyone else. It's very important to be unjudgemental.

It sounds like you are doing great are you in a position to visit more frequently? Please feel free to ask me any questions or pm me.

OrmirianResurgam Tue 16-Jul-13 22:04:11

Re suicide attempts, she has cut her wrists and arms and taken overdoses or paracetamol.

OrmirianResurgam Tue 16-Jul-13 22:02:46

Thank you.

I am not sure what her diagnosis is. I know she hears voices and sees 'things' ie insects etc. And as since she was a child but she thought it was normal so didn't tell anyone. I am not sure she has a precise diagnosis as yet.

Preciousbabies Tue 16-Jul-13 17:27:09

I'm a mental health social worker and have worked with a lot of young girls who regularly try to hurt themselves both physically and emotionally. I was wondering what her diagnosis is as it would effect the way that you interact with her. ie has she been diagnosed with some kind of depressive disorder or has a personality disorder been discussed?? Also, have her suicide attempts been serious and how has she tried to hurt herself??

OrmirianResurgam Tue 16-Jul-13 14:57:55

She is in her 20s. Was hospitalized about 3 months ago due to multiple suicide attempts. She went in voluntarily because she was her wits end but told that if she tried to discharge herself she would be sectioned. She is on several heavy duty meds but has now been discharged with outpatient appointments with a psychiatrist. SIL asked me if she could tell neice about my ongoing depression and suicidal thoughts last year, as it might make her feel she could talk to me about it, and that there was no stigma - I agreed but I am getting increasingly worried. I got a batch of texts a week or so ago saying she was struggling and she stopped taking her meds - we had a long chat and a further series of texts and she seemed OK and agreed to take them again. Last night she was really low again. I tried to call but she didn't reply so texted her. She replied to that so at least I knew she was still OK. I tried to say all the things that I feel I would have needed to hear when I was at my lowest ebb. But I must admit I panicked a bit and showed DH and he called his sister. SIL said she would call neice's friend (who happens to be a psychiatric nurse) and get her to check on her. SIL lives the other side of the country, we live 90 mins away so not really possible to pop in.

While in hospital she had a habit of refusing to speak to people when she was really bad. She flushed her phone down the loo once so no-one could get hold of her. Consequently I don't want to ever let her think I am not here for her. I am more than happy to be her shoulder and offer love and support but I am so scared of saying the wrong thing. My situation wasn't anything like as bad as hers. What is the best thing to do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now