Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Generalised Anxiety Disorder

(106 Posts)
Stripedmum Tue 16-Jul-13 11:16:04

I'm struggling. All day every day worry, worry, worry, worry. Or feeling weird and on edge.

Will this ever resolve? Please give me some hope.

peachypips Tue 23-Jul-13 21:35:47

Ha ha!! Yes a lot better thanks- meds taking effect. Managed to do more than crosswords and mumsnet today! How are you?

Stripedmum Tue 23-Jul-13 12:11:29

grin at prescription drugs! We didn't think you'd be shooting up Peachy though sometimes I'm bloody tempted!

How are you today?

peachypips Tue 23-Jul-13 11:16:38

Prescription drugs I mean!!

peachypips Tue 23-Jul-13 11:16:02

For me I can only contribute things that help when I have meds on board as without them I am a wailing loon!
If I am struggling to face a task like tidying a room, I tell myself I only have to do ten small things and then I can stop or do another five. For example, take a cup to the sink, put a pair of socks in the laundry basket etc. it really helps me look at the small picture rather than the large. Also works with things like gardening- just pull up ten weeds then you can stop or carry on.
Also getting out and having a plan for the day is great for me esp with two young DSs.
lady I know how you feel. I was terrible in pregnancy and was hospitalised with severe anxiety. I ended up taking a lot of drugs whilst pregnant sadly. Thank God though DS2 is completely fine. Poor you- my heart goes out to you.

Good idea striped

Distraction helps me. Doing something I enjoy which is absorbing and hardly any space for worrying eg gardening, drawing/painting, watching some decent tv.

Talking to someone sometimes helps.

Reading and posting on these MH forums is comforting in that I understand I am not alone in this.

I've just read the first chapter of a book on Mindfulness which sounds like it could help, so will keep going with that.

Getting enough sleep.

Getting outside every day.

Almost no caffeine and trying to limit sugar intake.

My dh has a worry time slot every day but I haven't worked out quite how he does it - tho def works for him.

Stripedmum Mon 22-Jul-13 23:36:57

What helps everyone else? Maybe we can put together a list to help others on here?

Stripedmum Mon 22-Jul-13 23:25:04

Hi Lady. Life is a strange old thing.

My anxiety during pregnancy with DD1 (DC2) was certainly not good - the hormones don't help.

Things that help me:

Raspberry leaf tea/ Camomile tea (four cups a day) - read up and make your own mind up on the RLT though as some say not to take it before 36 weeks. Camomile fine though from what I've read.

Exercise. At least 30 min a day. Walking worked for me whilst pregnant.

Things to occupy my mind. Reading. Blogging.

Journaling. Pinning down exactly how you feel.

Talking, talking, talking to DH.

Baths.

Coming on MN

FB, Twitter

Finding other people going through similar - I'm on the anxiety forum on the iPad. It's great.

Sleep

An excellent diet

Visualisation

Self talk

Acceptance

Inspirational quotes

That's all I can think of for now!

LadyMedea Mon 22-Jul-13 23:11:17

I thought I'd pop onto this thread as it has certainly made me feel less alone reading the posts.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant with dc1, had anxiety on and off for years and a decade on Citalopram. Generally managed ok and talked myself through the blips. Came off the meds when trying for the baby. Last 3 weeks its all gone wrong, anxiety and obsessive worrying just took over and when that wasn't happening the depression slid in. Worst trigger is work but baby stuff (childcare etc not the pregnancy thank goodness) is also part of it.

After crying uncontrollably at work last Wed I saw the emergency doc and have been signed off for 2 weeks. Referred for CBT (bit of human but mainly computer apparently) and midwife has referred me to mental health team - my first time for that. As much as I'm dying to go back on the meds I know they aren't great for the baby (not horrendous but something I want to avoid if poss).

Now I'm just trying to get through each day. Being outside is the only thing that helps consistently but it's been too bloody hot!

Crikey life is hard sometimes.

Stripedmum Mon 22-Jul-13 20:58:37

I'm starting to do that MissBetsey. Rather than weird, odd, strange, sad, despairing, etc etc etc - just 'not good' or 'okay' or 'good'.

MissBetseyTrotwood Mon 22-Jul-13 20:35:03

I know what you mean. I find it easier sometimes to think about feeling bad as feeling ill; it makes it seem more normal. And like illness in general, we will get better from it in the end.

Stripedmum Mon 22-Jul-13 20:03:23

I did think a label was what I was after but I suppose then I'd have been sucked in to researching it and feeling I have a 'condition'. At the end of the day I'm unhappy and really struggling - like people have done from the beginning of time I suppose. I'm going through a really shitty, rough, awful time but that's okay and it's learning to cope with this new 'me'. He said its going to be like learning to walk again. So not easy. But possible, I hope. I feel marginally more confident that I've been seen by a psychiatrist and he's rubber stamped me 'not mad'.

MissBetseyTrotwood Mon 22-Jul-13 19:56:13

Yes. I think so anyway!

It's interesting he didn't give you a label at all. Would you have liked one? It feels easier sometimes I think to feel you slot in somewhere.

Stripedmum Mon 22-Jul-13 18:59:19

Can I ask - do you all set quite high standards for yourself?

Stripedmum Mon 22-Jul-13 18:58:18

And no diagnosis of anything! I was quite shocked as thought I'd be labelled.

Stripedmum Mon 22-Jul-13 18:57:46

I'm glad you have the support there Peachy - so very important. I really hope you're back on your level soon. I think you will be as you sound very sussed.

I saw a psychiatrist today...he's told me that my issues have arisen through control, or lack thereof. He said that it's up to me and me alone to rectify. I need to concentrate on things I can control and not on things I can't. He also said my problems are down to adjustment - my life isn't how I planned it would be and I need to accept that. Didn't mention meds which I was very surprised about as I thought they'd be pushed at me and I'd be thrown on the 'unfixable' heap if I refused. I do hope I can get through this.

peachypips Mon 22-Jul-13 18:47:43

You poor thing Betsey! That sucks. We don't get any of that down here.

peachypips Mon 22-Jul-13 18:46:36

Yes you do- tranqs are fine for me and only as a temp thing until my meds work. I have been totally well for nearly three years on my meds and came off them slowly over 18 months, so I couldn't have been more careful! I have accepted I have a long-term illness now that needs treatment and now I've experimented with reducing I know the lowest dose I am well on so ill stick with that.
Looking forward to being level and happy again.
My kids are at school and DH had got two weeks off fortunately. My mum has come to stay too. Phew!

MissBetseyTrotwood Mon 22-Jul-13 13:17:31

I'm sorry peachypips. Have you someone around? Is your boy at school or on holidays at the mo?

Our car got broken into last night and they've trashed the inside in an effort to get to the (crap) radio. No prints, nothing. DH is away and I was looking forward to a day of nice things for myself while the DCs have their last day. No such luck...!

Stripedmum Mon 22-Jul-13 10:54:42

Peachy I'm sorry about your relapse. I've been reading about coming off ADs/tranquilizers and I've heard it's incredibly difficult.

Is it something you have to do really slowly?

peachypips Mon 22-Jul-13 10:18:59

My panic started with the baby. He is now 5!

peachypips Mon 22-Jul-13 10:17:47

beau - my sister had that thing with the toilet. We have a family anxiety history as my dad has OCD. She takes a small dose of citalopram and she doesn't fear being away from a toilet anymore. It was ruling her life and stopping her going anywhere and enjoying life.

peachypips Mon 22-Jul-13 10:15:34

Hi GADflies. Hope you are ok today. Can't remember if I said above but have tried to come off meds and am now in middle of full-blown relapse. Managed to stave it off for a couple of weeks but it has now taken charge. sad I am currently on sofa with enough tranqs on board to fell a horse and back on my meds.
Have now accepted I am long-term ill and will always be on meds. It beats rocking and wailing into a pillow whilst puking!!!
Hope you're ok today all.

Stripedmum Mon 22-Jul-13 08:09:43

m.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-neurochemical-self/201212/five-ways-boost-your-natural-happy-chemicals

Hi there! I found this article and thought if was really interesting.

MissBetseyTrotwood Sun 21-Jul-13 22:05:23

I've a copper coil and once the first periods settled down (think tidal wave) it's been fine.

Beau, I have found acupuncture really helped in the past. My anxiety was waaaay worse after the DCs were born and is often triggered by fears around them now.

2013beau Sun 21-Jul-13 21:59:59

Hi Thanks for replying
It's just an anxious feeling in general that just comes on. I have a fear of not being near a toilet in case I'm sick or get diarrhoea. This makes it hard for me to go places. I've been trying to exercise gently as just had a c section so can't do too much. I've just tried to take a walk every day when my little one lets me and she the weather isn't too hot. I'll try the raspberry leaf tea to see if that helps thanks for the tip x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now