Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Have the Samaritan's helped you? And how?

(11 Posts)

Do ring them. Doesn't matter if you don't know what to say. My dh put me on the phone to them at one of my worst moments. To start with I could only just manage yes or no. But slowly and gently a lovely woman got me talking a bit and unravelling the nightmare that was my brain. Can't recommend them highly enough.

So sorry to hear you're feeling so bad at the moment, take care of yourself. You will get there, you can't see it now but it will come. X.

Stripedmum Tue 16-Jul-13 21:24:01

They do help. I was in despair recently. Felt like there was NO way out. I phoned them. I told them how I felt. They didn't contribute much but it boosted me just enough to not feel like I did. Ring them. X

nkf Sat 13-Jul-13 21:39:11

08457 90 90 90 *

nkf Sat 13-Jul-13 21:38:11

Just call them. Take a deep breath and say the first thing that comes into your mind. Just read out what you wrote in your first paragraph.

dontrunwithscissors Sat 13-Jul-13 20:02:40

Thank you. I'm not sure I could verbalise all this. I just bottle it up and it won't come out. Wish I could sob, but its all trapped in my head.

tahbeejs Sat 13-Jul-13 19:00:17

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way.

I have been where you are, and also couldn't face the thought of a phone call.

I sent them an email. They did reply (I think within 48 hours).

All their emails are "sent from Jo", or were at the time. They explained that it was just a name they used.

They didn't make any kind of judgement, and they gave a lot of support where it made sense, if you see what I mean. I mean, they pointed out and reaffirmed a lot of good in my life that I had mentioned, but they didn't overdo it, or give lots of praise, and nor were they very emotional.

They offered the opportunity to keep in touch and said they would help find me resources to help, should I want them.

They also asked how others in my life felt about my situation, how much they knew, and if I thought I could talk to them.

I found it very helpful to email them just in writing it all down. That in itself was good for me.

I think that they will do their best to help to the extent that you let them, or want them to, but they won't force anything and they won't pretend to be able to do things they can't.

It's a good start, just to talk/write to them, or anyone. They are, I found, truly objective and realistic.

I hope you feel better soon, and I think it's VERY important that you talk to someone.

nkf Sat 13-Jul-13 18:59:40

I have found them wonderful. They are always there. Always. Any time of the day or night. There is no limit (barring phone bills) about how long you can talk to someone. Once, I phoned them on and off all morning.

They are not therapy or even counselling. They are listeners. It's a truly wonderful service. Call them.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Sat 13-Jul-13 18:57:44

They do contribute, they aren't silent.

Foosyerdoos Sat 13-Jul-13 18:56:35

There won't be silences they know how to talk to distressed people. I found talking too them very helpfull. There will be no judgement from them.

Foosyerdoos Sat 13-Jul-13 18:55:11

Phone them, I have several times. They were lovely and listened to me sobbiing for several hours.

dontrunwithscissors Sat 13-Jul-13 18:51:25

I'm sliding back down quite rapidly and don't know what to do. I've just put DD2 to bed, all the time thinking about taking an overdose, or just finding a way to not have to wake up tomorrow. (Note--I'm not going to do anything.)

I've read of people talking to the Samaritan's a lot. I never thought it would help, but I need to talk to someone. So--to those who've used them--what did they say? Was it literally just someone at the other end of the phone listening, or did they contribute? I'm not sure I would be able to say anything over the phone to a stranger and couldn't really take silences at the other end. Just all rather confused and sad right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now