Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Not Driving Away!

(454 Posts)
Pumble Sat 13-Jul-13 14:21:09

P1 splashing in the paddling pool and P2 having a nap. So pleased to be back and they are so pleased to be with each other again.

Can't believe we got to 1000 posts! You need to change your nn now too don't you wylye ?!

Pumble Thu 31-Jul-14 21:02:28

Thank you for the poem magi-wise words and very apt at the celebrations.

Pumble Thu 31-Jul-14 20:58:56

I heard from one of my finger friends (a lovely way to describe them) today sharing v exciting news with me and it reminded me how important and special our friendship is even though we aren't nearby in distance anyway. It was just what was needed even if she didn't know that!!

Glad life has calmed row. Enjoy your day of fun tomorrow.

rowrowrowtheboat Thu 31-Jul-14 20:27:41

His name blush

rowrowrowtheboat Thu 31-Jul-14 20:23:46

Magi,

I am going to look up some more Hilaire Belloc. That is a lovely poem, and I recognise her name so library here I come!

Friends you have today, that you see as part of your life, through work, children or neighbours are good to have, and I hope some of the dear friends I have met through the DD's become forever friends. These to me are Magi's finger friends - you don't have to see them or even hear from them often, but they know who you are, they understand, you share or have complimentary wavelengths, are good company, and are valuable beyond belief. I had 2 or 3, but sadly lost one last year. Now she is gone I value these type of friendships even more as they KNOW me. I make more effort to keep these friendships alive as there are one or two people where we have drifted away, that I would still like to see. Those friendships were of a time and place though (work). I'm sure some of my current baby friends will become forever friends, but only time will tell.

All is now well after the end of the holiday. We were staying with family which was stressful, as there were different views on how a new pet should be handled around visitors and children. It seems that everyone is ok again now though. I've had a day of washing and drying and putting away. Tomorrow is for fun.

magimedi Thu 31-Jul-14 19:36:19

You probably know that I just love poetry & I was trying to think of this one a bit earlier:

"From quiet homes and first beginning,
Out to the undiscovered ends,
There's nothing worth the wear of winning,
But laughter and the love of friends."

Hilaire Belloc

I used that when I made a speech (very anxiety making) at DS & DIl's wedding party in France last year.

magimedi Thu 31-Jul-14 17:26:05

Another 'well done' from me on leaving P1.

I've lost friends over the years, due to many moves & life changing but there are the very few, that I call the friends I can count on the fingers of one hand & they are the ones who matter.

One of those I saw a couple of years ago (we live at other ends of the country) for the first time in at least ten years & it was as if we'd only had a week apart.

Row is right about new friends & new things to come.

And YAY! for online friends - one of my dearest friends (she's a finger!) I met on line about 12 years ago & then we spoke on the phone & then we met. We are really close, even though she lives a long way off & we only see each oither about once a year or so. We 'meet' for drinks on the phone at least twice a month & have a lot of laughs!

Pumble Thu 31-Jul-14 13:57:32

Sage advice as ever row. Also I realised that I may have lost friendships through pnd but I've gained them too (even if online!) in you and magi.

Sorry to hear about the end of the holiday row - are things better now?

rowrowrowtheboat Wed 30-Jul-14 22:14:46

Firstly, well done in leaving P1. It's hard the first time, for mums.

It is sad to hear things through Facebook. It is easy to drift apart, and if she wasn't aware of why you drifted away, she won't understand why. She'll probably assume it was just one of those things.

What do you think about contacting her, and asking to meet up once things have settled down with the new baby?

PND has had an effect on you and your friends, and I can understand feeling sad and angry about that, but it is no longer part of your life to the extent it was. You are strong, you are lovely, now is the time to reach out to new friends, and some of your old, one day at a time.

From your online friend, look forward, you will have friendships like that again.

Holiday was lovely but ended less happily. Another story for another day.

Pumble Wed 30-Jul-14 19:31:59

You know how I said I had lost friends due to pnd... Well I have just found out via the dreaded Facebook that a friend has had her new baby. We were really close but then with pnd we drifted a bit as I couldn't cope. I've worked hard trying to get things back but evidently not to be. I just feel a bit sad she didn't let me know herself. I know how busy life is but still. Hey ho. Onwards and upwards.

Hope you're all ok

Pumble Tue 29-Jul-14 19:14:24

Hope you had a fabulous time row - very jealous! How is the decorating going? I'm like Magi and tend to paint the whole house in one 'off white' colour!!

I've been helping my parents move house which was exhausting and a challenge at times with the girls but so pleased we could help. The new house has no reception and currently no internet-it was strangely nice to have none of that. I'm not sure running up and down stairs was great with my anjle though....

P1 went to a holiday gym club today and so I left her for the first time anywhere today. It's the same place she normally has gym club but for two hours and I didn't stay. Sh e was fine, I cried and p2 kept asking for her. P2 and I went swimming together. It was weird to only have one pumblette-that never happens!! smile

rowrowrowtheboat Mon 28-Jul-14 15:19:13

Thanks for that! We have a new room, which will be a similar colour to your ivory cream, but fancied something different for the other room.

Catching up with family is good as we don't see them very often, and the DD's have done us proud with the hard walks up from the beach. Devon was glorious, lots of sunshine, water, food and fun. And the odd glass of wine

magimedi Mon 28-Jul-14 11:00:42

All the hoses we've had for the last 15 + years (& we had 14 moves in 25 years!!) have been painted Crown Ivory Cream!

It's a lovely colour, reflects lots of light & then you can have any colours of curtains, carpet etc. Having the whole house the same colour (except for bathroom which is bright yellow to cheer me up in the am) makes for a great flow & easy redecoration & touch up.

Mind you, I am known for keeping life as easy as poss!

Hope the rest of yr hols are great - we've got heavy rain & thunder this am!

rowrowrowtheboat Mon 28-Jul-14 10:28:27

My dad was saying its the warmest it's been for years too! We have been to Devon and now we are with family in Cornwall. It was not hot hot last week.

Desperately trying to chose paint colours for our living room whilst not being at home! A tough job, as we are not very imaginative.

magimedi Sun 27-Jul-14 22:52:33

The sea is the warmest it's been for the last 15 years (according to the BBC). I've sea swum every day for the last 9 days. I can't begin to tell you how good it makes me feel.

Row - I hope you are having a wonderful holiday - where are you?

rowrowrowtheboat Sun 27-Jul-14 22:09:14

I both. I've been on a digital holiday - offline for a short while leading upto and on holiday.

Magi, I am impressed with the sea swims.

Pumble, you are coping well, listen to Magi! I hope the weekend has been good to you.

magimedi Thu 24-Jul-14 22:39:28

Late to reply, but 17.38 is certainly not too early for beer - might be a tad early for gin!

Sounds horrible with snotty pumblettes & no Mr P - but you SOUND LIKE YOU ARE COPING!!

HOOOOOOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look how far you have come.

If there was a pom-pom-cheering-proud smilie I would use it.

Have some wine instead.

(((xxx)))

Pumble Thu 24-Jul-14 17:38:52

Very tempted by the bed offer magi! And very jealous of all at sea swimming! I would use swimming as a back up but a bit of away from the pool so harder to fit it in....

Mr P's car just broken down so another solo bedtime with tired, hot, grumpy and snotty pumblettes..... Really could have done without it this month.... Is it too early for a little beer?! wink

magimedi Wed 23-Jul-14 22:43:50

Pumble There is always a bed made up ready for when you want to come & visit. I mean it!

Have now had 5 sea swims - first 4 were great, taken on the 'top of the tide' (ie high water) at about 5pm when water had come up over hot sand/shingle.

Yesterday I went in at 9.30am on a falling tide & it was bloody cold.

Today I did my 1K in the pool!

Tomorrow I will try the sea again at high tide - 10.30am.

So sorry to hear about the ankle - maybe you need to start swimming , as a back up exercise, as it is non weight bearing?

And just so happy to hear about your positives - what a long way you have come.

Bedtime for me - the downside of living near the sea is *"&?!in=g seagulls! They start at 5.30 am!

Pumble Wed 23-Jul-14 21:00:25

Hello. I'm still here-just been hibernating a little....! So pleased you and a lovely time away magi-must have been lovely to spend time with them. Very jealous of the sea swimming-have you been lots since you've been back? Can I come and stay so I can sea swim wink

Ankle is still not right which is driving me crazy. No running or exercise now for two weeks which is really affecting my mood. It makes me realise how important it is but that doesn't help at the moment. Heat getting to the girls and v noisy neighbours in the morning leading to very early waking (for them) and although they stay and read together in their room it means they are constantly Knackered. My parents are in the middle of moving house too which they are finding rather stressful. And I'm feeling v lonely. Realising hoe few friends I have.

None of that's v positive is it?! But there are positives. The pumblettes and I are having a lovely time in the garden olanting things and visiting RHS & NT places. They are lovely together for the most part. smile

Have your Dd's broken up for the holidays yet Row?

magimedi Tue 22-Jul-14 22:30:18

Echo!! Hallo!! How are you all?

magimedi Sat 19-Jul-14 23:00:35

B U M P!!

Hallo there......................... <listens to the echo>

magimedi Thu 17-Jul-14 11:47:20

Hallo Pumble & Row.

I've been away visiting DS & DIL in France so just catching up. Sorry to hear about the throat infection & the ankel - hope the latter was just a sprain & is mending now.

Pumble - six months ago I don't think you'd have even contemplated telling your friend. It just shows how far you have come.

Very hot here, 26C & am going to have first sea swim of the year this afternoon. The sea is a bracing 18C!!!!!!!!!! Suspect it will be more of a dip than a swim!

rowrowrowtheboat Tue 15-Jul-14 21:15:13

How are you today Pumble?

rowrowrowtheboat Mon 14-Jul-14 20:43:16

'Should hold' not sould hold!

DD's finish at the end of the week. First sports day tomorrow, I'm exited!

rowrowrowtheboat Mon 14-Jul-14 20:42:00

Rest that ankle and keep it up! Things are quieter, for now. I have signed up for a TA course for Setember - a more gentle way into teaching, so at least I now know what I'll be doing in September. The work in the house is coming to an end, so we can start tidying up again.

Don't be scared about talking to your friend. I can understand it is hard to open up and talk about it, but if I were her, I'd want you to know that I understand it has been hard and that I'm there for you. You don't know what she will say, so just take it as it comes. She may be totally surprised, as PND may not evident even to friends. She may reflect on it for a few days while she thinks things a little more. However she is, you are the lovely Pumble who has gone a huge journey of strength and courage who sould old her head up high for how far you have come.

Have a great day with your friend tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now