Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

How do you stop therapy?

(6 Posts)
OscarSwoosh Mon 22-Jul-13 11:58:56

ilovesooty I couldn't agree more. I'm not sure what your role is, but sounds like you are in a simliar career (if not the same) so thank you for being so understanding to those of your clients who feel you don't 'match'. flowers Good customer service is everything!

ilovesooty Mon 15-Jul-13 01:39:51

Well done for making the call. I feel quite angry on your behalf. Therapists should accept that not every therapist is the right fit for every client, and this was the client's decision - she should respect that. I always tell new clients that if they would prefer to try someone else at any stage that they are free to do so. Recently after a first session I agreed with the client that I was not the right therapist for her and was happy to signpost her to someone else I thought might suit her needs better. Ethical considerations aside, I think it's good business practice too.

OscarSwoosh Fri 12-Jul-13 14:01:00

GracieLoo sorry that must be difficult. Good luck with your meeting today. I called the psychotherapist and told her that teen and I had been discussing it all day and that teen has decided to try CBT instead and see how that works out. Psychotherapist was disappointed, felt it would be a backward step and thinks I'm being overprotective. My own opinion is that it's teen's decision and I'll fully support that decision. Psychotherapist is taking my money at the end of the day, and if my teen thinks it would be better spent on something else then that's what we'll do.
I found it helpful to write down what I wanted to say before I made the call as I'm not very good at this sort of thing.

Therapy has been offered on the NHS, yes. But teen is on a waiting list with 300 other kids in front and not likely to be seen until 2014. So we felt we had to do something NOW and if teen still needs it when NHS appointment eventually comes through then we can reassess what we need then.

GracieLoo Thu 11-Jul-13 18:07:33

Well done for making the call. Just wondering what you said and what the response was? I've been seeing a cpn for the past couple of months, (my 3rd one) and I just don't gel with her at all. We don't 'get' each other but I can't explain why. Got a meeting tomorrow with her and one of her seniors, but feel they think I'm being difficult and not engaging properly. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but the way I'm feeling I need someone to talk to who responds appropriately.

Was any therapy offered on the nhs? At least going private, you have more say in who you see. I haven't gone down the private route yet.

OscarSwoosh Thu 11-Jul-13 16:24:48

No response needed now, I have made the call, it was very awkward...but it's done.

OscarSwoosh Thu 11-Jul-13 14:29:25

My teen has been seeing a private psychotherapist for a few weeks now for panic disorder and social anxiety. The therapist does not seem to be a good fit and teen would like to try something/someone else.
Next session is imminent and I need to call the therapist on teen's behalf to say that's it, but what do I actually say?? It's like dumping someone...it's not you, it's me...but really it is you...argh...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now