Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Bipolar and hallucinations

(20 Posts)
GoldenJackal Mon 26-Aug-13 15:31:54

DolomitesDonkey: adjusting will probably happen

DumDum32: Oh dear. Have you asked him why you do relapse?

I feel awful. Luckily no major hallucinations today so far.

DumDum32 Mon 26-Aug-13 13:39:36

I wish they would dolomitesdonkey. My psychiatrist will just not listen every time ive mentioned it he has rejected it by saying these are absolutely the right meds for me. What i fail to understand is why am i having relapases then sad

DolomitesDonkey Mon 26-Aug-13 03:26:31

Can either of you change your meds and/or dose? I had to have a fiddle with mine until I got the right balance so I hope your psych team are supportive!

It was indeed long term therapy that resolved the dissociation problem though.

DumDum32 Sun 25-Aug-13 12:19:02

Goldenjackal - your meds might need adjusting. I completely agree with u on the long term therapy thats what they have said the same to me.

DumDum32 Sun 25-Aug-13 12:15:51

DolomitesDonkey - im on anti-psychotics the strongest dose for it. It worked really well in the begining but not anymore i think. I never use to hallucinate/imagine this bad before. during the day i can deal with it as i dont feel too terrified maybe as its daylight but the night ones are terrible/scarry.

GoldenJackal Sun 25-Aug-13 07:31:44

DumDum; I have started to hear voices sometimes in the evening when I am in bed. I can hear/feel them in my medulla. But those I think are normal just before falling asleep. I get clear visual hallucinations during the day, but no voices.

DolomitesDonkey; I am on low dose of antipsychotic. Not sure if they are the answer. I think therapy is the key in my case.

DolomitesDonkey Sun 25-Aug-13 05:42:36

Are you taking anti-psychotics? You don't need to live with these dissociations and they can be very frightening and jarring.

DumDum32 Sat 24-Aug-13 21:38:31

Ive started getting hallucinations at night whereas voices happen all day. I have to been zopicloning myself to sleep for past few days. Its pretty scarring i imagine/see a dark figure on my bedroom room & it feels as if its their to kill me! The voices of course jump right in & say things like ur going to hell etc etc. I know none of it is real but it still has really freaked me out sad i dont have bipolar my official daignosis is depression with psychosis.

The other day as i was coming home i imagined/hallucinated a meteor go by & killing us all in London. Again i know its not real but im getting tired of this stuff.

GoldenJackal Sat 24-Aug-13 16:06:14

I am starting to get bored with these hallucinations. Yesterday when my DS was sitting on the floor his finger tips looked like they have been in paper shedder. Scary. Today I saw a crow size of a cow, and later on a car passed me and it looked like a man was pointing me with a gun.

WildlingPrincess Wed 03-Jul-13 10:45:40

It is pretty cool! I'm lucky that I know they're hallucinations though! grin

mouses Mon 01-Jul-13 16:41:50

o yea and i also get blurry vision and those 'floaters' gameset mentioned but my gp said this could be because of my low blood pressure?

im awaiting further assessment, been diagnosed with depression, anxiety. but gp thinks it may be more?

mouses Mon 01-Jul-13 16:36:38

oh, i used to think i was gifted. but now im thinking its more to do with mental health?

in my teens i used to see a little (dead) boy, spoke only a couple of times the rest he was just around. i see a woman (also dead) sitting in my bath and another dead person who jumps out at me!

i have conversations with voices too which i did mention on another thread might just be my inner voice?

GoldenJackal Mon 01-Jul-13 15:38:59

Wow WildlingPrincess! That sounds cool and schizophrenic grin

WildlingPrincess Mon 01-Jul-13 14:24:59

Yes! I see people, animals, talking dolls the lot. I had a hallucination living with me for a few days before, constantly chatting away he was. I know they're hallucinations though. I just try to enjoy the ride.

GoldenJackal Fri 28-Jun-13 09:44:20

I think one can get hallucinations from sleep deprivation as well.
I am sort of out of an episode but still see things. I saw quite few last days and then ended up with migraine with very long lasting aura. Usually aura disappears very quickly after I take some medicine. I think those hallucinations could be pre-migraine symptoms.

I sometimes believe in them for a short while. Like when I went to empty my daughters potty. Suddenly it looked like there was loads of slimy stuff pouring out of it. I thought bloody hell she did not wee that much :D. Then I checked and there was a tiny amount of wee in the potty.

dontrunwithscissors Fri 28-Jun-13 09:23:13

Do you mind me asking how your psychosis presented, then?

mawbroon Thu 27-Jun-13 23:20:58

I have been psychotic twice and had a manic period without psychosis.

I've never hallucinated or heard voices. All the docs kept asking if I had, but I genuinely hadn't.

GameSetAndMatch Thu 27-Jun-13 17:48:55

i often hear voices/music when having an episode too. and blurry vision and 'floaters' in front of my eyes.

Do you get an itchy scalp too and just want to tear your hair out? I get that too.

dontrunwithscissors Thu 27-Jun-13 14:11:30

I sort of get hallucinations when very depressed, most often hearing voices. However, my pdoc has said that this is a product of my brain getting so overloaded by emotions/fear, rather than true psychosis. I've always known that they are not real.

GoldenJackal Thu 27-Jun-13 13:49:08

Do you have hallucinations when you have an episode? I have bipolar 2 and I do get visual ones when hypomanic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now