Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Seeing gp on thurs

(9 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RollerCola Thu 27-Jun-13 14:37:03

Quick update, saw gp this morning. Held it together brilliantly...until I walked through the door, then cried like a baby while she shushed me sympathetically and handed me the tissue box smile

She was lovely and said I seemed like a completely classic case. She said 'if I had a pound for everyone who'd done what you've just done I'd be rich' lol so that made me feel slightly better!

I wrote down a list of my symptoms last night and ended up just handing it to her as I really couldn't think properly in the end. She did a quick depression test on her computer and I was quite shocked to see that I came out as 'moderately' depressed.

I did say about the hormones but she didn't offer to investigate that and to be honest I didn't think to ask further. She was happy to prescribe citalopram as I'd taken it before, but she doesn't want me to take it at the same time as the Topiramate that I currently take for migraine as she's had a patient have a seizure while taking both.

So I've got to give up the tope if I want to take the citalopram confusedNot really happy about that as my migraines are barely under control as it is so not looking forward to stopping it. But she did say that if my mood lifted my headaches may stop? Not sure.

Anyway still got to wait 2 weeks as I've got to wean myself off the Topiramate before I can start the citalopram, so I'm no further on just yet other than knowing I'm 'in the system' (and I'm not alone!)

RollerCola Tue 25-Jun-13 15:47:51

Thank you, I do wonder if it might be haywire hormones causing it. Would it be treated any differently if it was? Should I ask for blood tests do you think?

monikar Tue 25-Jun-13 13:54:11

I second the advice of writing down your previous experiences of citalopram.

If you are concerned about breaking down in front of the doctor, then it might be helpful to write down all your thoughts, in order, so that you can give her the full picture.

In taking the step to visit the gp, you have overcome the first hurdle in your recovery and will soon start to feel better.

I can't see why she would be difficult and refuse to give them to you - if anything you will be a straightforward case for her, as you have successfully taken citalopram before. A lot of the problem with prescribing for depression is that some drugs suit some people a lot better than others. You have a good starting point.

Good luck - hope that helps a little.

RollerCola Tue 25-Jun-13 07:59:06

God I've just read that back & I sound like a right junkie sad <just give me the pills>

What I mean is, is it ok to just go to the gp & say 'please can I have some anti-depressants because I don't feel very well' if you know that's what's wrong.

RollerCola Tue 25-Jun-13 07:55:40

I've made an appt with my gp on thurs because I recognise I'm slipping into some sort of depression. I'm going to ask for anti-depressants but I'm scared I'm going to break down in the appointment and then have to carry on my day as normal (I'm a stiff upper lip type smile) She's not likely to say no and be awkward is she?

I've taken them before about 4 years ago (citalopram) and they were fantastic. Lifted the black fog and made me feel normal again, I took them for 9 mths and then came off them.

I'm not sure what's prompted this particular spell. I've been putting it down to hormones as its been getting worse and worse in the week leading up to af but this month it's out of control. I can't stop crying and I can't seem to cope with anything.

I'm working FT, have 2 kids and I just can't cope. Everything is closing in on me and even tiny things are becoming huge. I'm anxious, tearful, worried, stressed. Just not me.

Am I doing the right thing? Do I just need a pill?

Oh just another thing, I'm already taking 50mg Topiramate daily for migraines, does anyone know whether you can take this with Citalopram or do they not mix?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now