Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

please, please, someone help!!!! don't know if this is the right thing to do?

(29 Posts)
tritri1968 Sat 25-May-13 19:06:54

i've been a lurker for a while but this is first post. i've been suffering with a kidney infection for the past 9 days. it is slowly getting better but unfortunately has left me with anxiety and panic attacks which i have been a sufferer of for 20 years. i haven't had an attack like this for years!!

i went to my gp and she prescribed 10mg citralopran. i started it this morning. did i do the right thing? i feel worse than i did yesterday and want to cry but can't!! it was my only release. should stop and see if i can overcome it like in the past? i'm terrified!!!! i can't think what to do for the best. i have a wonderfully supportive dp and and 2 beautiful ds who i so desperately want to be there for.

would beta blockers have been a better choice? i really don't know what to do for the best. sorry for repeating myself. i'm driving myself crazy with this. please help, any opinions would be so appreciated.

McPrice Mon 27-May-13 00:53:32

i remember him saying he hated the way they masked the pain. and he needed to feel again. he had been on them for years. id discuss it with ur gp. citalopram is not the only one out there. i agree with others if its panicattacks it was proprananol and duazepam he was taking along side citalopram. propananol and diazepam were on a as and when basis and he hated the spaced out way they made him feel. read the leaflet for citalpram it has side effects of making you feel low etc. so recognise it maybe a side effect your feeling.

recall Mon 27-May-13 01:13:29

I have suffered from dreadful anxiety for as long as I can remember, I have been on Citalopram in the past, but I think I had to come off it when I was pregnant, and am now on Sertraline. 4 weeks ago, I asked my GP if I could try Beta Blockers, and I have found them to be extremely effective. They just stop that terrible feeling of terror that lurks in your guts constantly. They seem to have stopped a cycle of thoughts and behaviour. Because I had the constant fear, that in itself would trigger frightening thoughts. I was unable to think rationally because of the physical feeling of adrenalin. Once I started the Beta Blockers, I found that I was able to control my thoughts more because they were able to pass without that awful feeling of dread that usually accompanies them.

I hope that makes sense…it is hard to explain. Might be worth a try during the period of waiting for the Citalopram to kick in. i wish you the best of luck. Anxiety is a bully angry

tritri1968 Tue 28-May-13 10:00:05

thanks for getting back to me mcprice, glad to hear your husband is doing so well.

tritri1968 Tue 28-May-13 10:01:17

hi recall, did you have any side effects? do you think they could help me? am so lost!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now