Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Daily anxiety management regime

(21 Posts)
AlteredState Fri 24-May-13 13:11:00

Hi, does anyone do this? I've been told I need to sort this out and actually do it. I know I should but am too unmotivated to get/keep going. Can anyone share what they do / how long etc so I can pinch your ideas save me having to plan one myself? Thanks.

AlteredState Fri 24-May-13 21:07:54

Does anyone even have one? Or is it because I'm being too lazy and cheeky to steal grin

LEMisdisappointed Fri 24-May-13 21:18:00

What is it that you are anxious about? Who told you that you need to sort it out?

AlteredState Sat 25-May-13 21:46:04

Thanks for replying LEM. I'm anxious about life in general accompanied by more specific peaks (recently e.g. dwp had raised doubt over my jsa claim, received letter from gp at a weekend saying I had to make an appt asap, worry about attending dd's school disco etc). As for who told me to sort out the daily regime it was my gp surgery's cpn.

Donki Sat 25-May-13 21:49:31

Exercise figures hugely in my plan - although having been told to rest post surgery for a few days, I am not doing anything at them moment. And motivation is difficult. I have asked DH to remind me - note it is still MY responsibility, but as part of that I am allowed to ask for the odd prompt.

AlteredState Sat 25-May-13 21:51:44

Soooo not too popular these anxiety management regimes then!! grin grin

Do you think I'd be justified in asking for a specific plan? I didn't ask at the time because it rolled off his tongue like I should know what is involved. I'm guessing relaxation of some sort must form a part of it (but how long, what time of day?). Anything else? I just need to find something I can fit into my day and stick to. I suffer from depression too so not very self-motivated.

LemonPeculiarJones Sat 25-May-13 21:52:20

Hi Altered

What does this entail? Do you mean a personally tailored list of things to do every day because you know they help?

Such as no caffeine, exercise, meditate for ten minutes at lunch etc?

AlteredState Sat 25-May-13 21:55:23

Ok thanks donki. I'd never even thought of exercise blush. I do get some exercise most days (either a cycle or a walk) as I don't drive and avoid buses. It's only about couple of miles though but I do get out of breath. Or does it need to be more intensive do you think?

AlteredState Sat 25-May-13 22:02:30

Yes Lemon that's exactly it, thanks smile. I do have a no caffeine after 3pm rule for sleep reasons but didn't realise it impacts on anxiety. I don't think I have a large caffeine intake (don't drink coffee, have maybe 3 cups tea per day). I'd like to start by timetabling when I'll do things relating to anxiety management. And if I do more that's fine.

AlteredState Sat 25-May-13 22:12:01

Ah think I needed the gentle nudge from mnetters to get brain on right wavelength. So far I have...

morning immediately after school run 30mins exercise (either bike ride or walk)
lunchtime 10-15mins relaxation (is this same/similar meditating?)
immediately before bed 5-10mins breathing/relaxation

Does anyone do more than this?

Donki Sat 25-May-13 23:14:09

Don't try to start with too much (I was told) Establish one good 'habit' at a time.

Journal writing before bed is often recommended. Doesn't need to be a novel - just a short jotting of things you have achieved or things you have noticed are triggers/ unhelpful thoughts etc.

No (or little) caffeine is a standard strategy. I feel much better when I avoid it.

AlteredState Sun 26-May-13 21:46:43

Interesting donki that journal writing before bed counts as anxiety management. I already write most nights when i don't fall asleep in bed accidentally and it is a novel grin. I guess because I already do some things I'm not starting from point zero.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has any other ideas i'm still interested (I'm particularly curious as to how long people spend on it overall).

Funnyfishface Tue 28-May-13 13:07:18

Hi

My therapist suggested 'mindfulness'. Look it up on the Internet. You can get a cd to listen to. It talks about relaxation, breathing correctly and stopping your mind from wandering.

Exercise def helps but my anxiety was bad so I couldn't do it. General relaxation, massage.

Good luck xx

AlteredState Wed 29-May-13 20:40:29

Thanks Funny. I am actually on a waiting list to do group-based mindfulness but I hadn't considered using a cd. Have you tried this method? I think I'll look into it.

Funnyfishface Wed 29-May-13 20:50:32

Hi yes I have tried it. It's really helpful. It relaxes me. I'm not sure how the group based one would work.
I lay on my bed and listen to the cd with no distractions.
I think I would find the group one a little distracting. Personally speaking. Definitely try the cd. It's really soothing.
There is a book mindfulness - a practical guide to peace in a frantic world which comes with a cd. This is very good for beginners and has a workbook that you can read through.

I have heard that yoga is good but I haven't tried it because I get hot when I get anxious. So it's a bit of a vicious circle for me. It might work for you though.

AlteredState Wed 29-May-13 21:07:03

Ah that's really useful to know thanks for the recommendation (will be off to look online in a bit!). Glad you found it really helpful. Yes I can see that a group one could be distracting. There's 8 to a group and there session is "run" by a practioner. I've done group relaxation before and it did take me a couple of sessions before I wasn't so self-conscious of others in the group. As long I am motivated enough to actually turn the cd on etc this would be a good option for me. Though having to attend a certain place at a certain time would mean I'm much more likely not to skive off!

I think yoga would be good for me - did a couple beginner sessions many years ago. However, having tried a dvd I know I need to be in a class so that a teacher can correct my positions etc. Some types of yoga you can get very, very hot even without the anxiety. I'll go check out the cd, thanks smile

Funnyfishface Wed 29-May-13 23:32:00

I think that once you star getting the benefit from it you will find time to do it.
I am the worlds worst for starting things and not finishing.

But..... I have stuck with this.
My therapist charged £130 an hour so the cd was a cheap effective way.

AdmiralData Thu 30-May-13 21:31:43

Hello smile My GP recommended using a website called 'Mood Gym', it's based on research that was done in Australia on depression/anxiety disorders. I personally am going to try to do the 'setting aside a time for anxiety' thing. Giving yourself a specific amount of time at a specific time of day to think about the things that worry you and er ... not actually do anything about them. My own anxiety is compulsion based so it may not work for you. HTH.

Funnyfishface Thu 30-May-13 23:39:21

Yep I tried the mood gym.

It's a series of questions and answers on the computer.
The fear fighter nhs programme I found was much better.

I have to say that my gp and nhs were fab. Even once the cbt has finished they don't just leave you to get on with it. You can then go on to have either group therapy of one to one face therapy. All free.

AlteredState Sat 01-Jun-13 21:22:33

I'm now in possession of book & cd Funny. All I need to do now is open it and do what it says. Thanks again for the recommendation - I don't think I've ever acted on advice so quickly, lol! Guess I was in the "zone". (Or maybe it was the £130 an hour your therapist charges that focused my attention!)

Admiral I hadn't heard of Mood Gym so thanks for that. I'm going to look at that and also the nhs one that funny found better. Glad the setting aside a time thing works for you. When I've been anxious about specific things that has been helpful to me in the past.

Oh and free is always fab smile

Funnyfishface Sat 01-Jun-13 21:48:55

That's fantastic. Let me know how you get on.

Good luck. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now