Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Dr thinks I'm allergic to citralopram, help re alternatives please?

(11 Posts)
janey223 Fri 24-May-13 00:12:42

I've suffered from depression for years stemming from my childhood etc, been through self harming, bulimia and drinking/sluting myself 'happy'

After I had DS I had very bad PND and seen a doctor when I was on the brink of suicide (even begging my father to come across the country to take DS as he'd be better off without me), luckily I'm a single parent and nobody would take DS for me to go and harm myself. I was put on citralopram and referred for counciling but wouldn't go as I can't face the issues from my childhood.

I came off the citralopram in October and have been fighting with myself and wanting to go back on them since not long after. Finally got the courage to go and ask to be put back on them and 2 weeks later started taking them (was very worried about the craziness of them the last time).

A day after I started I've broken out in hives everywhere and it's bloody awful. That was nearly a week ago and today I seem the doctor who thinks I've developed an allergy to them and advised I stop taking them and go back in a week to discuss other options.

I am pretty low at the moment, although no intentions of hurting myself (have made myself sick though).

What are good alternatives to citralopram?

The last time I never had the ability to even wonder about them, I was in such a state but they worked well for me now I'm worried about what the alternatives are as everyone I know who has anti-ds (except my mum who is on something that seems to send her to another planet) is on citralopram and I hear terrible stories about experiences with others.

janey223 Fri 24-May-13 00:13:16

Wow that was an essay sorry sad

Basically, good alternatives to citralopram !

Ginformation Fri 24-May-13 00:26:40

Fluoxetine (prozac) may be good for you if bingeing is still a problem for you (worked for me).

Sertraline is great too, partic if you have anxiety too.

These are both in the same drug class as citalopram though, occasionally drug allergies can generalise to other similar meds.

Alternatives to SSRIs could include the newer duloxetine. I wouldn't recommend mirtazapine as this stimulates appetite in a lot of people and makes you drowsy.

There are lots of alternatives,.speak to your GP about your concerns, they will understand. Hope you find something that suits you well.

(I am a GP)

piratecat Fri 24-May-13 00:26:41

sure your doctor Will advise but prozac is quite good.

I didn't get on with citalopram or sertraline. I am on fluxoetine (prozac) at the moment and it is ok. I find SSRIs make me very twitchy though.

I quite liked mirtazapine although it does make you sleepy. I think it helped me a lot with suicidal thoughts.

piratecat Fri 24-May-13 00:31:58

see a doctor came along there!
i was recently changed from prozac which twice been very happy on for years to citalopram. i had a breakdown about a month ago which resulted in conversion disorder. my gp decided to switch me to it but right at that time i felt no benefits. she said i should feel better within days?
i have gone back to prozac the last week but not much better on this either.
its confusing.

piratecat Fri 24-May-13 00:33:07

which i had been very happy on*

janey223 Fri 24-May-13 00:46:18

Thank you all! Really have no idea how much it took for me to say even that little bit so thank you for replying.

I never thought of the binging as being my issue, I do it regularly recently but normally muster up the strength to stop myself from being sick.

I don't want to google because I know I might find bad stories and those will put me off taking them.

Nothing that will make me drowsy oh god! Bad enough as is, DS is a very active 16m old who doesn't sit down and doesn't think mummy should either.

Salbertina Fri 24-May-13 07:22:18

Op- feel for you esp as you mention childhood issues.

I honestly think any AD is just going to be a sticking plaster on this wound- might it be time to gently confront those issues finally so that you can heal??? Referral from gp for counselling?

janey223 Sat 25-May-13 01:25:44

Have been referred before but honestly I'm just not ready. I'm getting there slowly, I have an older friend who has had similar things happen and I've given her very small amounts of information recently.

orangeandemons Mon 27-May-13 17:24:22

I'm allergic to both sertraline and Prozac. Both allergies started the second time I took them.

Am currently fine on paroxetine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now