Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anyone given up alcohol?

(5 Posts)
painforlife Mon 27-May-13 19:47:16

I did about 8 years ago now & haven't looked back since smile u just need will power & trust in yourself. Failing that is there a AA group you could go to I know that really helps sone people.

RiotsNotDiets Thu 23-May-13 18:43:03

I could easily not drink for a month as I don't get out much!

It's more that when the opportunity arises I can't just have one, even a drink with lunch would turn into a bender. I just don't seem to have any self control.

glitch Thu 23-May-13 18:21:13

Could you try stopping for a month first?
I did it in January and it is still having an impact now. I thought I would race straight off to get drunk come the 1st Feb but quite the opposite. It seems to have given me more control than before.
A month is a manageable start and then you can decide where to take it from there.

RiotsNotDiets Thu 23-May-13 16:28:08

Sorry, meant to say I've posted here because when my depression was really bad, I turned to alcohol to make myself feel better and made a lot of mistakes, which made me feel even worse. So it was a vicious cycle of self hatred and alcohol abuse.

RiotsNotDiets Thu 23-May-13 16:26:28

I'm thinking of quitting drinking for good.

I've had the worlds worst hangover today, but that's not really why. I turn into a right dickhead when I'm drunk, I never know when to stop and I make a bloody fool of myself. I don't drink that often at all, but when I do I end up embarrassing myself one way or another. I'm tired of waking up and cringing as the memories come back.

I think it's time to give it up, any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now