Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Feeling stable and well but totally lacking motivation. How do I get out of this rut??

(5 Posts)
Ilikethebreeze Tue 21-May-13 12:33:30

Strange as it may seem, I think you could do with a few days away.
That seems to do the trick of kickstarting me.
Hopefully, you wil come back a bit more refreshed, and a bit more raring to go.

mawbroon Mon 20-May-13 22:28:09

I've had a really itchy scalp recently which come to think of it coincides starting the quetiapine. Anyone else had this? I can't stop picking it and making it bleed sad

mawbroon Mon 20-May-13 17:10:24

I am on quetiapine (anti psychotic) and lofepramine (antidepressant).

I really don't feel depressed at all any more. I upped my dose of ADs at the same time as I switched to the quetiapine.

I am struggling a bit with weight gain on the quetiapine. I know I should exercise more (I don't really do any at all) but I can't get motivated for that either.

dontrunwithscissors Mon 20-May-13 17:04:47

What medication are you on? Sometimes that can affect your motivation. Alternatively, could you still be mildly depressed? Somtiems that can come through as a lack of motivation.

mawbroon Mon 20-May-13 16:37:30

I have been seriously ill for about the last year and a half. Acute psychosis followed by a deep depression and a milder dose of psychosis and another depression as well as some manic behaviour too.

In February, the depression was awful, suicidal thoughts and the like. My psychiatrist said he thought it was bi polar so changed my medication. Over the following weeks, I started feeling better, and I would actually say that I feel back to normal now.

But, I just can't get off my arse and do anything. All the time I was ill, I did the bare minimum because it was all that I could manage. DS1 is at school and ds2 goes to the children's centre because I couldn't cope with him all day (he's 3). At one point he was going 5 days, but I can handle him just fine now and he goes 3 days for 10hrs total per week.

So, because we've been doing the bare minimum for so long, the house could do with a serious declutter, a good clean, a bit of sprucing up. We are probably going to have to move because of the schools (long story) so I should be enquiring about mortgages, solicitors etc. I haven't actually made a list of what needs done, but it just seems to be so much and I don't know where to start.

How do I motivate myself to do all these things? I have 10hrs a week with no kids around, so should be able to get through a ton of work in that time. I feel that I could cope with working part time and am looking for a job. I almost feel that having a job would give me more structure and motivation, you know, if you want something done, ask a busy person type thing.

Any words of advice? Logging off MN might be a start!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now